Touring919, thank you my friend... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Touring919, thank you my friend...

for giving me your old seat (I can't use word "sell" for $10)

1/2 of the Golds Gym exercise mat later and a little bread knife action, it's a brand new seat. And pretty comfortable too
I'll post pics a little later.

Thank you sir.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

post #3 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Wow! Did you do that?

post #4 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farab View Post
Wow! Did you do that?
I modded the stock foam and put it all together if that's what you are asking
As far as cover goes: no, I never got into a crocheting

post #5 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

That looks really nice. Good job.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

I didn't take any pics during the install. I was in a hurry to get it all done before my wife and kids got home as it was a freaking mess, that stock foam is a messy chit once you cut into it and then start sanding it smooth.

Here is what I used: Golds Gym pad. It's kind of an interesting closed cell type foam: it feels like a gel pad but not that firm at the same time once you sit on it.

You can see in the pic what shape I cut it out based on the cut out hole in the mat. I cut one long piece, long enough to do both riders and passengers seats. That separate riders cushion in the pic was my first attempt until I decided to make it as one big piece, rider+passenger. also I made it long enough to built up the crotch area a little, the edge that meets the tank
I had a problem with stock seat as I always kept on sliding too close to the tank so I sat on the bike and traced horizontal line on the stock foam that resulted in removing of some material from the rear side of the rider's area. Then I glued the green pad and trimmed/sanded everything smooth. Stapled the cover and there you have it.

post #7 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Hastatus Posterior

That's a VERY nice cutom seat.
The stock seat can be a little wide, I find.

post #8 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 02:23 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

WOW That looks NICE! That may be the best looking seat I've seen yet. How's the foam feel? Where did you get the cover from?

post #9 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

here is the seat on the 9er

I need to adjust those rubber stops under the seat or replace with ones from my seat. I just compared and my seat stops are shorter than ones that came on Touring919's seat

post #10 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
WOW That looks NICE! That may be the best looking seat I've seen yet. How's the foam feel? Where did you get the cover from?
I haven't tested it out on long trips yet. Looks like one is coming up

post #11 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Red Rider

Quote:
He ain't saying is he? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #12 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 04:23 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I haven't tested it out on long trips yet. Looks like one is coming up

I hope so, I'm looking forward to it.

post #13 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

[QUOTE=Woody469;412734]He ain't saying is he? Lol

It doesn't look like it... Of course, if he did share I wouldn't get the Hornet logo, I think I would have the 919 logo...

post #14 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

[QUOTE=rmb;412739]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody469 View Post
He ain't saying is he? Lola

It doesn't look like it... Of course, if he did share I wouldn't get the Hornet logo, I think I would have the 919 logo...
you are on the right track: no one here calls 919 Hornet, except in .....
btw, logo wasn't an option, not with this particular cover anyway. It was made for someone and they didn't need it anymore

post #15 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
WOW That looks NICE! That may be the best looking seat I've seen yet...
+1 Great job on the foam mod and that is the coolest cover

post #16 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 06:27 PM
McTavish

Quote:
here is the seat on the 9er

I need to adjust those rubber stops under the seat or replace with ones from my seat. I just compared and my seat stops are shorter than ones that came on Touring919's seat
The bike looks very nicely done.
Can you use the 599 healight ring and light in the 919 pod or do you also need the 599 pod?

post #17 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
The bike looks very nicely done.
Can you use the 599 healight ring and light in the 919 pod or do you also need the 599 pod?
thanks man. I actually miss my revalved f4i forks. rc51 will be revalved/ resprung this winter. I can see why showa followed Ohlins design with long top out springs on SP2 but man, what a pain in the ass to set up sag now, impossible and you can never get it right. Talked to Dan Kyle and those long top outs will be replaced come winter

btw, you'll need 599 pod, it's only ~$25 new

post #18 of 36 Old 09-13-2010, 08:31 PM
919 aka Hornet 900

Really like that 599 light and windscreen

post #19 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 AM
h8tenhogs

ok i have some questions. is the welt premade vinyl?did someone embroider the hornet logo and lastly whats with the white stitch, it looks like some very large thread. what size thread is that.Very nice work. As far as the seat goes i too have the same problem with a drop in the front.I used an old car tire and built it up with two taped together under the tank tang where seat slips under and one on top. yeah its a little putsy but i dont pull my seat up that often to worry about it.I am planning on doing my seat this winter i was going to use leather, but there are so many choices for fabric i am not sure i like the carbon look that you used should i use the gold stuff hahaha

post #20 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 05:55 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

That's a good looking and creative seat. Apart from that let me say congratulations for a hot bike. The USD fork conversion has to be one of the best looking 919 mods. The 599 headlight also looks much better than our stock unit. It's all got me thinking - thanks a lot! Where's that official RC51 fork parts list thread?

post #21 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

???

HONDA HORNET CB 900 S/F - Deluxe seats, petrol tank covers, tank bags [Rates for an order from : UNITED STATES]

Top Sellerie Seat Cover - Type 2 Designer. 76 Euros or $98 USD

That's what a quick search on the web and a little customizing on their site told me.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #22 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Man, that blue and yellow was nasty.

post #23 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Bacon-powered

@Zaq123 Dang Dude. Nice job on the seat. I'm going to be modding my seat soon. I only hope it turns out half that nice.

Nice Bike too. That's what I want my bike to look like when I grow up.

post #24 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

good find, that's maybe it.

I actually find it on ebay.co.uk a few month ago and the guy was willing to ship it here. It was already made so I had no choice in logo etc. It just was a nice deal and the price was worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
???

HONDA HORNET CB 900 S/F - Deluxe seats, petrol tank covers, tank bags [Rates for an order from : UNITED STATES]

Top Sellerie Seat Cover - Type 2 Designer. 76 Euros or $98 USD

That's what a quick search on the web and a little customizing on their site told me.

post #25 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Man, that blue and yellow was nasty.
Yep. Reminds me of those stupid looking 'retro' basketball shoes that are becoming popular. Barf!

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #26 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 03:12 PM
McTavish

Quote:
thanks man. I actually miss my revalved f4i forks. rc51 will be revalved/ resprung this winter. I can see why showa followed Ohlins design with long top out springs on SP2 but man, what a pain in the ass to set up sag now, impossible and you can never get it right. Talked to Dan Kyle and those long top outs will be replaced come winter

btw, you'll need 599 pod, it's only ~$25 new
I'm toying with the 599 headlamp and doing the "both on" routine you did for the high beam scenario. HID or maxed out conventional bulbs. But I do so little night riding, that I think I'll start with a maxed out conventional bulb and go from there. I think that if I feel like going to HID, I'll auto go to 599 style as part of it.

If I was to do my front end again, which I won't do, I'd go F4i fully done, and 929/954 size rotors and master cylinder. Still toying with the 929/954 but having spent on the EBC wavies and pads, I'm having a hard time selling myself on it. BUT there is a way to justify it. If I ever get around to grafting on a 919 front end clip to one of my old CB750s, I'll have a way of re-utilizing the EBC kit.

post #27 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

don't get me wrong, I love rc51 forks. They just need some work done to make them work for me. 150mm top out springs is just ridiculous.

Quote:
I'm toying with the 599 headlamp and doing the "both on" routine you did for the high beam scenario. HID or maxed out conventional bulbs. But I do so little night riding, that I think I'll start with a maxed out conventional bulb and go from there. I think that if I feel like going to HID, I'll auto go to 599 style as part of it.

If I was to do my front end again, which I won't do, I'd go F4i fully done, and 929/954 size rotors and master cylinder. Still toying with the 929/954 but having spent on the EBC wavies and pads, I'm having a hard time selling myself on it. BUT there is a way to justify it. If I ever get around to grafting on a 919 front end clip to one of my old CB750s, I'll have a way of re-utilizing the EBC kit.

post #28 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 07:05 PM
McTavish

Quote:
don't get me wrong, I love rc51 forks. They just need some work done to make them work for me. 150mm top out springs is just ridiculous.
What's the plan for them ?
The forks overall, that is.
Total revamp ? Some tinkering ?

post #29 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 07:07 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Forgot to ask you.
WHAT is that front brake like?
One finger special most of the time ?
I'll bet they are absolutely savage if used hard, regardless of the speed you are at.

post #30 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
What's the plan for them ?
The forks overall, that is.
Total revamp ? Some tinkering ?
I'm actually just finished ordering stuff: revalve, modding top-out springs (simply cutting them shorter), seals/bushings etc, polishing tubes as per Dan Kyle's technique to reduce stiction. Already have 0.95kg springs sitting and waiting to be installed. Hopefully I'll get it all by this weekend. I think my right fork is developing a small leak.

post #31 of 36 Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Forgot to ask you.
WHAT is that front brake like?
One finger special most of the time ?
I'll bet they are absolutely savage if used hard, regardless of the speed you are at.
brakes are a little more responsive than stock but not too much, nothing crazy. I actually like it the way they are, maybe it's just a habit, something I got used to

post #32 of 36 Old 09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
h8tenhogs

Quote:
I modded the stock foam and put it all together if that's what you are asking
As far as cover goes: no, I never got into a crocheting
sorry i must have missread the post i thought you actually made the seat cover.What was i thinking.if you would have made it there would have been blood all over it from where you poked your little finger the needle.as far as crocheting goes.its quite a bit different from manipulating fabric to fit a custom seat.i guess you dont have any respect for people who put the seats together that you put your fat ass on. so your nice and comfy and lets not forget good looking too.ill post the pics of my seat as soon as its finished.have to get the design finished.then it will be time to buy the leather.

post #33 of 36 Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeriley View Post
sorry i must have missread the post i thought you actually made the seat cover.What was i thinking.if you would have made it there would have been blood all over it from where you poked your little finger the needle.as far as crocheting goes.its quite a bit different from manipulating fabric to fit a custom seat.i guess you dont have any respect for people who put the seats together that you put your fat ass on. so your nice and comfy and lets not forget good looking too.ill post the pics of my seat as soon as its finished.have to get the design finished.then it will be time to buy the leather.
wow, easy there Spurky, no one said about the disrespect or anything of that nature.
When I said about crocheting I was talking about embroidered Hornet logo. (I had to ask my wife this time to get it right)
sorry, I'm not the expert in types of fabric decorating handicraft, my bad

post #34 of 36 Old 09-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Is it just me or do the pics not work anymore?

I want a peek!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #35 of 36 Old 09-24-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Is it just me or do the pics not work anymore?

I want a peek!
I hate this, every time I organize my photobucket, links get broken, I'll fix it

post #36 of 36 Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
I hate this, every time I organize my photobucket, links get broken, I'll fix it
Check out dropbox for sharing out photos (in folders or galleries). It's actually a backup/folder sync program (2gb free, but you can get more with referrals).

It rocks!

I have one set up here: Dropbox - Photos - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode