Top Case mounting question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

Top Case mounting question

I'm shopping for a top case for a ride I'm planning for this spring that I'm taking with my girlfriend and I'm seeing that most have a "universal base plate and mounting hardware". I am trying to figure out how I would mount this to my 919. Does anyone have any advice or, better yet, pictures of how they have mounted a top case to your bike?

Here is a case I'm looking at currently:
Amazon.com: LARGE BRAND NEW MOTORCYCLE TRUNK TOP LUGGAGE CASE: Automotive

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 09:38 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Maybe this will get you started.

Search for 919 on Twistedthrottle
TwistedThrottle.com

post #3 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 AM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

post #4 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

The bracket this cheap case comes with looks like this.

post #5 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

TwistedThrottle.com is a good place to check.

You could get either ther SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack or the GIVI FZ256 toprack, and finagle a connection between either of them and the topcase you are interested in, or possibly you could find an alternative topcase that mates directly to the GIVI or SW-Motech topracks.

I would get the largest topcase that I could afford.

post #6 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Imaginifer

That givi one looks great, but is $136 what I should expect to pay for a rack? That seems really pricey.

post #7 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickonwheels View Post
That givi one looks great, but is $136 what I should expect to pay for a rack? That seems really pricey.
It is pricey. I think the GIVI unit is predicated on the idea that, sooner or later, GIVI sideracks and sidecases are going to be used. That toprack anchors the GIVI sideracks.

Are you anticipating the use of sidecases? If not, send me a PM and I will share a simple solution to your query with you.

Also, there are many smart people here, and they might be able to figure out a mounting solution for that case that costs a lot less than $136.

post #8 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Tom,

Share what you've got brother. Anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future will be wiser for it.

post #9 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000TJ View Post
Tom,

Share what you've got brother. Anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future will be wiser for it.
2000TJ,

This is not a problem. The reason for my "PM secrecy" suggestion to brickonwheels was that my solution was a one-of-a-kind solution (I think), and not generally applicable.

Here is the deal: A while back, when I was struggling to make my GIVI racks work with the Sato exhausts, I took a GIVI toprack and cut it down so it would attach to the bike only at the four grab bar bolts.. This avoided the mis-match between the front mounting points on the GIVI rack and the angled Sato cannister hangers (the GIVI rack is not manufactured to easily attach to the angled hanger fittings on the Satos).

As you can see above, the front of the GIVI toprack is missing. This was no problem for using with just the topcase, but eliminates the chance to attach GIVI sideracks and cases. Still a firm mount, and perfect for commuting.

Now I am back to a stock exhaust, and will return to a stock, uncut GIVI toprack. This makes the cut down rack surplus. If brickonwheels wasn't going to use sidecases along with his topcase, I was going to offer to give him the cut down rack to see if he could get it to work with the case he referenced.

That's the story.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

I recommend the Givi topcase rack and E360 topcase--it's the setup I've got. I found someone on WT selling a used Givi rack, and found a local seller selling a topcase. All told, I paid $180 for my setup, and as I lived out of it for 2 months on the road this summer, I'd go with Givi for the build quality.

I did later add on sideracks and E41 sidecases. Found the sidecases used as well, but had to order the sideracks new from CA Sport Touring. Expensive, but worth it.

Edit: like Tom, I had to redo the angle on the topcase rack attachment point in order to make it work with the Sato exhausts.

post #11 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Tirone

Don't mean to spam you, but I've got a like new SHAD 42 liter topcase & rack I took off my '07 919 when I got it. I've got a listing here in the classifies.

I think I posted a picture of the bike with the case mounted. I'm willing to discuss price, if interested.

I removed it because I went with HB Junior side cases, instead. Just personal preference.

RB

post #12 of 18 Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Made my own. Takes a little time to get the bend angle right (so the topcase lies semi flat) but it cost me about 36 USD with the price of chrome mounting bolts incuded. If you have the time and welder (or good friend with welder) it's not too difficult. Finished mine with plastic coat (20 USD). I have same topcase (JC WHITNEY) and mount it with three bolts and nylon wing nuts. Works for me and looks good.

post #13 of 18 Old 01-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase

(Nemo wrote):
Quote:
Edit: like Tom, I had to redo the angle on the topcase rack attachment point in order to make it work with the Sato exhausts.
Nemo,

Now that I am returning to stock exhausts, I have to try to re-bend those GIVI brackets. I have already lined up a welder as I am expecting some breakage along the way...

post #14 of 18 Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Tom, given my experience with the strength of that not-so-great mild steel, you might just saw off the tabs and have them welded back on at 90 degrees for the sake of security.
Have the Satos gotten too loud, or proven otherwise bothersome? I'm at the point of repacking mine...as soon as the packing material arrives.

post #15 of 18 Old 01-13-2010, 12:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

As many folks as there are who have transitioned away from the 919, I'm suprised there aren't more used accessories like the Givi racks for sale...at least I haven't found any...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #16 of 18 Old 01-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Tom
Immune

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
Tom, given my experience with the strength of that not-so-great mild steel, you might just saw off the tabs and have them welded back on at 90 degrees for the sake of security.
Have the Satos gotten too loud, or proven otherwise bothersome? I'm at the point of repacking mine...as soon as the packing material arrives.
Yes: they got too loud. They lost their nice bark in the middle of last summer's trip and became just clumsy-loud. I couldn't outrun the irritation. The first thing I did when I got home was to put the stock cans on. It was excellent therapy. I'll repack the Satos later this year, but my next big trip is in May, and I will go stock.

Thanks for your advice regarding the GIVI toprack. I will have those tabs welded.

post #17 of 18 Old 01-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

I really have to go with the Givi set-up. It has served us well over 45K.

Doc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00080(1) (Medium).JPG (90.8 KB, 12 views)

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #18 of 18 Old 01-13-2010, 05:00 PM
www.TnAdvRiders.com

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Heres some pics of my Givi , I use Swmotoch quick disconnet hardware.. even the adapater plate is quick disconnect... and their racks are stylish..

sorry thats best pics I had ..

Visit the most active online motorcycle
community in the East TN/Western NC area at ....

http://www.TnAdvRiders.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode