Too Small? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Dang

Too Small?

So I was talking to a guy the other day who also rides and he is about 5'7" and says to me that he likes my bike but he is too small to ride it. Kinda threw me off. Me being 6'2", I feel like a giant on the thing sometimes.

Im a rook, so thought Id throw this out there for discussion. Is the 9er larger in comparison to other street bikes? Does it just sit higher?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 06:21 AM
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I'm 5'9" and the bike is perfectly comfy. I would say as long as you can get enough foot on the ground to balance at a stoplight you are OK. Obviously a shorter rider would want to learn to ride on something easier to flatfoot. But I've seen a very petite female ride a bike she could just get the ball of one foot down on the ground at a stoplight. I've heard of thick soled boots helping the vertically challenged riders too.

Where there's a will, there's a way. But if they don't feel comfortable, that's ok too.
David

post #3 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 06:37 AM
Unbannable

My first street machine had a 34" seat height. My inseem is 30".

You just have to slide your butt off to one side to put one foot flat on the ground. Not a big deal. At least to us dirt bike people.

post #4 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
My first street machine had a 34" seat height. My inseem is 30".

You just have to slide your butt off to one side to put one foot flat on the ground. Not a big deal. At least to us dirt bike people.
Haha. I remember being 12 years old and telling my mom that dad said it was okay if i rode his dirtbike (xr250) I would lean it against the barn to start and stop as neither of my feet came anywhere close to the ground. I sure could wheelie that thing better than my XL100 though!

I don't think 5'7" is too short for the niner, esp with the right boots.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Not so Rookie Anymore

I prefer to be able to touch the ground with both feet at a stop. Things are ok if the street is flat and level... but if you're on a hill or uneven section of pavement... not being able to get both feet down can be an issue. Thats why I never jumped at the Nighthawk 750 that Honda put out a few years back. I really liked the looks of that bike in the day but at 5'9", I couldn't get both feet down on that bike. Now with the 919... no problems. The fit is just damn near perfect.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Realist

I'm 5' 6" and with my 9-er I can get both feet on the ground...toes...barely but with a simple shift to one side or the other I get a foot flat and the other then stays on the peg for shifting or brake depending on my needs - like if it's a long light I'm stopped at then I shift to neutral. 9-er is taller than my Meanstreak was but that's what I expected with a lower-to-the-ground cruiser vs. a "standard" that's mucho more fun in the twisties...it's also much lighter which makes the extra height not a problem...ok enough rambling...:clown:

Britt
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4
'77 Jeep CJ-7 (sold... )
'06 Honda 919
'06 Prairie 360 4x4 ATV
'72 Volkswagen Beetle
post #7 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 07:48 AM
marshall

I feel like i'm riding a big dog or a small pony too, my cousin is kinda short...about 5'7" - 5'8" something like that...
i'm 6'2" i plant my feet flat when i come to a stop...and he has to tippytoe it when he takes my bike around the block..of course he's fine on his yama and 600...flat foot and all...but on 919 it kinda dwarfs him just a hair.

post #8 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 07:55 AM

I'm 5-7 and can't flat foot the 9er. I just plant one foot and let the bike lean a little in that direction.

Not a big problem but I wouldn't want to learn to ride like that.

post #9 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I'm 6' so no problem here. The butt slide one foot down works for most people who are vertically challenged. The only time it gets tough for them is trying to back the bike up. Probably have to get off and push it backwards.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #10 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I'm 5'9" and have no problem with flat-footing the 919. It was even easy with the extra height added by the F3 rear shock.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #11 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I'm 6' so no problem here. The butt slide one foot down works for most people who are vertically challenged. The only time it gets tough for them is trying to back the bike up. Probably have to get off and push it backwards.
A rule I live by:

NEVER EVER!!!!!!!! park with the bike pointed on a downward grade. Cause I can't back mine up unless its on a level surface. So I always make sure the bike is pointed upwards, that way gravity does all the work.

post #12 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 08:48 AM

im 5'7" i have no issue with the bike at all... i can put both feet down... i dont think i can flat foot both sides, but i come darn close. mostly i was impressed when i was new to it that it keeps its weight so high. Made it feel heavier than it is

post #13 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 09:04 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

So.....What you're really asking is, "does size matter?"

post #14 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 09:09 AM

I'm 5'7" and I don't have any problems at all with my 9er. Of course I'm 250 lbs too, so maybe my fat a$$ has compressed the suspension enough to lower the seat height .........lol

post #15 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

As they will tell you, an inch will make a difference.

Wear boots.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #16 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Sweepuk

Raise the forks through the yokes by 10 mm you will be amazed at the difference that makes (I know, 10 mm difference before anyone says)

post #17 of 17 Old 09-28-2006, 10:37 AM

my forks are lowered. or raised, however you want to think about it, in any case maybe that attributes to the difference between me and other 5'7"ers. I weight in at like 120.. so its not a weight issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode