To young/newb for Dream Bike? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 03-18-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
To young/newb for Dream Bike?

I am at a dilemma and I would like some input from you guys.

The context:

I'm 23 and started riding in June 2014. 1st bike I had was the CB-1. After 3 months I found and bought my dream bike...the 9er. Not sure how good of an idea that was, but I'm still here... alive and with no incidents.

The dilemma:

My riding skill is most definitely not appropriate for efficiently harnessing the power of the 919.
My questions are:
1. should I keep my dream bike, make it my own, invest money in it, ride the shit out of it and learn to be a better rider on the 919? with the risk of seriously injuring myself in the process if mistakes shall be made.
2. would it be more wise (and safe i suppose) to move to a less power, more newb friendly bike and after ridding the shit out of that come back to the 919 and enjoy it to the max?

Any thoughts on this? I'm curious to see if people have already thought about these things...

Maybe I should just go out and cruise on the 9er and remove these blasphemous thoughts out of my head....

EDIT: I also think about the saying "ridding a slow bike fast is funner than ridding a fast bike slow" a lot as well....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-18-2015, 04:37 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Get a dirt bike. Flog it. Best experience you can get and easy to fix, hard to break.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 18 Old 03-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Tirone

So the good news is that once you get your "dream bike" there will be another and another! Googlit is right - learned on dirt on a cr125. What a hoot.

It's impossible for us to answer your question. It really depends on your right wrist control - for any bike for any rider. The 919 is certainly capable of being a tame road bike IF the rider is. Additionally, you can pretty much say that anything over a ninja 250 is too much to fully utilize for riding on public streets.

If you are scaring yourself on the 919, the decision should be clear. BTW - I'm old. Back when I was young, I jumped to a KZ1000 as a 20 year old as my second street bike (after only 1 year on a cx500) and regularly scared myself

Some ride reports:
http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/

On two wheels:
post #4 of 18 Old 03-18-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
So the good news is that once you get your "dream bike" there will be another and another!
I'm not sure I'll ever feel the same way about another motorcycle...

post #5 of 18 Old 03-18-2015, 07:35 PM
Batman

Put tape that covers anything over 80 mph for 2 months. If you cannot see your needle at any point you need to drop it to 70. If you can appreciate speed for when and why after 60 days of solid riding, take the tape off. but just for fun do it and see what happens. Try it even for a week.

Or not. If your smart enough to obtain a dream at 23 and think twice about getting in trouble with it, tells me you know your answer already.

Ill relate what my dad told me about motorcycles and women...

Dont sleep with your hot best friend for a one night stand. Woo her. Know her, then Marry her. Dont be hasty and youll be happier ever after.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

It takes a lot of miles and patience to learn to ride well. I find i learn or re-learn something on most every ride i take. No question the 9er is a bike that can get you in trouble quickly. You should not put yourself in position where you feel at risk as a new rider. If you scare yourself often then you are riding way above your capability. To survive you have to learn to control yourself.
If your focus is being able to ride the shit out of a bike then you are at risk even with a less powerful bike. Don't try to learn to ride by riding the shit out of a 9er. It won't work out well.
As a suggestion, try riding the 919 around town for a week and keep the rpms low. I'd say shift at a max of 3500 rpm unless you are on a highway. It's hard to get in trouble that way and you can still learn a lot.

post #7 of 18 Old 03-18-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Garage
So I rode it back from work and it's so epic.i think I'll be responsible and ride my 9er safely <3 I would like a second bike though....honda grom?

post #8 of 18 Old 03-18-2015, 08:38 PM
Robert

Garage
Throttle control man, it's all about throttle control. People always say that the CR500 dirtbike is un-rideable but those were the same. Just learn to control the throttle and you and the 919 will be fine.

Robert

2002 Honda 919
2003 Honda CRF450R
post #9 of 18 Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 PM
Cornicen

I would keep the 9er but not put any money (except for maintenance) into it. It sounds like you want to spend money so get good gear if you don't have it already. Then, sign up for track days and improve your skills.

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #10 of 18 Old 03-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmin3m View Post
I would like a second bike though....honda grom?
A grom would be a riot as a second bike!

post #11 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 06:01 AM
Tesserarius

I 2nd the get a dirt bike. In the dirt the tires are sliding around half of the time. You learn so much faster.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 06:12 AM
just send it.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
Ill relate what my dad told me about motorcycles and women...

Dont sleep with your hot best friend for a one night stand. Woo her. Know her, then Marry her. Dont be hasty and youll be happier ever after.
Huh... My dad was more of the mindset "Quick! Before she changes her mind".

[This space for rent]
post #13 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Discen

Shift early?

post #14 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 09:04 AM
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post

Huh... My dad was more of the mindset "Quick! Before she changes her mind".
While he did say it, i didnt always follow it after ten beers or so...a bad judgement in itself. young and dumb later learned the benefits of old and wise. She was hot though....memories.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 05:14 PM
Milites Gregarius

What did you do to scare yourself ?
919 is real easy to ride with a soft throttle . (not much fun, but easy).
When you stop being wary, get off the bike.
You bought a wonderful machine enjoy it.

post #16 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 06:02 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I guess I'm the only one here that thinks the CB-1 is a cool enough bike as it is :/

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #17 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 07:35 PM
No association w/ Tirone.

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Great advise here... Keep the 9er. It was my first street bike and the first bike I had ridden in probably 10 years. Before that it was a dirt bike and just like everyone said here, it is the best way to learn. Once you get the throttle, shifting, and slow speed man-way-vering down, you're good to go. Either way, the 919 has the best speed/torque/and manageable throttle I've been on, so just take it easy for a while. I rode the same twisty back road every day until I felt comfortable. Then as I moved up, I found that even though I could ride the twisty road easily, my skills at adapting to different roads sucked. It will take you a solid year of riding all sorts of roads to truly be comfortable and a safe rider, no matter what machine you're on.

post #18 of 18 Old 03-19-2015, 08:46 PM
NWTB Non Stinky 919

Personally I don't find the 919 to be all that hard of a bike to ride, in fact I find it really easy to ride, while it can go over 80mph it really is a pig at those speeds, even down low while the bike does have a lot of nice torque it's not the kind of torque that easily throws you off the bike or causes a highside unless you hit sand/dirt/rocks which any torqueless bike would have that same issue.

919 IMO is a somewhat friendly noob rider bike. I think you are 10 times more likely to come out well on a 919 than on a 600ss even an older 600ss

Just ride smart, always remember that no one can see you even if they're looking straight at you, clearly making eye contact, even if they wave, they still don't see you.

And as always, always wear full gear all the time. Don't forget the ear plugs either!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode