To fair or not to fair... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

To fair or not to fair...

To fair, or not to fair, that is the question.
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer the stereotypes & commonplace of unnecessary fairings.

Or to take Arms against a Sea of crotch-rockets; And by opposing remove thy fairings.
To die, to Squid no more; and by a Squid, to say we end the flip-flop wheelies, & the thousand Natural shocks That bikini girls on the back of CBR's are heir to?

'Tis a consummation; Devoutly to be wished by cruisers & Harley owners; To die to sleep,
To sleep, perchance to Dream of being a truly naked sport-bike;

Aye, now there's a motorcycle!

As it would have it, I love naked bikes. A motorcycle with little dressing, plenty of exposed machinery, and the pure look of a purpose-built machine are what turn me on with motorcycles. I'm the kind of hands-on guy that loves the 'how-it-works' type shows, the grittiness and satisfaction that comes from working in the skilled-trade field, and the appreciation of design; not of cheap plastic shined easily with spit, but of machined craftsmanship exposed for admiration by those canny enough to appreciate it. All through owning my 919, I saw people put fairings, windscreens, and engine guards all over them and in my opinion, foul up the appearance and defeat the point of having a 'naked bike.' To me, it didn't make much sense but to others I know they loved it, so it's all about what you love and I appreciate that.

I still find my 919 appealing to look at, despite it's wear and tear, and with the new Tuono I've found more appreciation of the machinery to admire. For me, it's so much of the experience of owning a motorcycle; appreciating the design, the functionality, and the machine itself. While plenty of other riders with varying makes being more concerned about how many people are looking at them while they ride, I am focused on the machine carrying me. If the machine I'm riding speaks to me more loudly than the gawdy logo of what brand jacket, helmet, or leather I'm wearing does, then I am right at home.

Coincidentally my new Aprilia is labeled, quite often and quite vibrantly. I don't want to sound conceited, but honestly, like I said if the machine I'm riding speaks to me, I could care less about what anyone else has to say. Additionally after owning for a week and riding the same, I've noticed it has a bit more 'dress' body work that, though being just a trifle more than what I'd care for, actually does accent the design quite well albeit a bit unnecessary. I'm considering removing some of them to see what happens with the look and whether or not I like it even more stripped down. These fairings do offer a slight bit of protection I suppose, but other than that, don't really serve a purpose. Thoughts?

Let's start with culprit #1: The radiator/shark-fin/dagger/thingy: It really serves no purpose, though gives a bit of a dagger appearance from the riders' point of view when riding. I actually kind of like it as it makes me feel like I'm aggressively cutting through the road, might keep this one.

#2 Side cover/coolant protector/thingamajiggy
These are most likely to come off, however if doing so, at one attachment point it would leave a 1 1/2" long stud sticking out from the frame, kind of like an extender for an Adel clamp (if anyone else knows what I'm talking about)

#3 Oil level tube cover thingy.
As far as I can tell, all this does is kind of 'frame' the oil level tube on the left side of the bike into a nice cylindrical picture. It is kind of silly, yes, but at least the engineers at Aprilia are smart enough to put an oil level indicator on their bikes... This is another contender for coming off.

#4 Mimicking the oil level cover on the left side, there is a coolant level indicator fairing.
mmmm.....This might go as well.

#5 Last but not least. This isn't so much a unnecessary thing, but is an option that came from the previous owner. He gave me a little fly screen to attach to the alien-head headlight fairing. I personally don't care for the look at all, but I've got a long trip back home to IL this next week and I've thrown it on to see what it does. If nothing more I'll use it for long said rides on the interstate, but other than that it will come off, which fortunately is only a matter of four-screws.

Without:

With:

It looks funky, especially in the last pic, but if it provides some protection on the interstate, especially doing.....oh, lets say double the speed limit, I'm game to tuck behind it and fly for a while.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I agree, I like the un-faired look of the 919, however I would have to see what is under those covers to know if I would leave it off. Like on #2, will the coolant overflow bottle be exposed if you remove it. Take 'em all of and take some pics

post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

My suggestion is leave all that stuff be and enjoy your new bike. I have a feeling that the covers hide lots of ugly bits? As for the shark fin dagger thingy it may help direct air into the rad and possibly was developed in a wind tunnel.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #4 of 4 Old 05-20-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
My suggestion is leave all that stuff be and enjoy your new bike. I have a feeling that the covers hide lots of ugly bits? As for the shark fin dagger thingy it may help direct air into the rad and possibly was developed in a wind tunnel.
I had the same thoughts on the shark-fin thing and I do like it, so it will be staying.
I'll just have to see whats underneath the others, most of which are only 2-3 screws to take off.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode