Title question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Title question

I bought a bike with no title, yes I ran the VIN and It dosent come up stolen. I intended on getting another frame but I just talked with a guy that said he knew a way to get a title as long as there wasnt a lein and it wansnt stolen. said something about a car dealership saying it was impounded and what not, but didnt wanna give me to much info cause he wants to buy it, any help?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

nevermind I need a new frame, just found out it was a theft recovery and is not titleable. I bought it with the intention of having to buy a new frame but now I feel kinda weird about it.

post #3 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Immune

Well, sorry buddy. I've only heard bad stories about bike without titles.

If you're feeling funny about it now, why don't you just part it out and make your money back? Is it in decent shape?

post #4 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Yeah I may just sell it....

post #5 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 AM
CG

There are 2 possibilities here.

If you are dealing (buying , selling) in stolen goods, you are breaking the law and at risk of prosecution. In this case, you might want to turn it over to the cops and tell them what you know. Selling it would only add to the list of broken laws.

If you bought this from an insurance company or police auction or similar, you should be able to get a title for it, salvage title or similar.

post #6 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Walk away from anything without a title -

Unless you can get a bill of sale and copies of the sellers identification - with those, you may be able to start the process to obtain a title, but -

There are so many variables, and ultimately, you probably would be better off buying one with a title.

UNLESS you want a track only bike, and even then, I'd want a bill of sale and documentation of the sellers ID.......

post #7 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Immune

I've had good luck buying a few bikes with no titles. I used a company called "Titles Unlimited" where you essentially sell them the bike on paper (receipts through the mail) and then they register it in a state that has a transferrable registration/title and sell it back to you on paper. You then go to your state DMV and title it like normal. The state they register/title it in varies depending on which state you live in - they know which ones will work together.

It might sound shady, but I picked up some nice vintage Hondas at great prices because there was no title. The service cost about $200 but worked flawlessly three times for me and many more for another guy I know. I haven't done it in about six years, but I'll see if I can find the info on the company that used to do it.

post #8 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonsvilleguy View Post
There are 2 possibilities here.

If you are dealing (buying , selling) in stolen goods, you are breaking the law and at risk of prosecution. In this case, you might want to turn it over to the cops and tell them what you know. Selling it would only add to the list of broken laws.

If you bought this from an insurance company or police auction or similar, you should be able to get a title for it, salvage title or similar.
I think he said it was a theft recovery, so he shouldn't need to worry about the fuzz.
My trackbike is a theft recovery I bought from an ins co. The agent told me outright they have no interest in helping me retitle it & the dmv would require more than the receipt I was given. All I wanted was a trackbike so I don't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly View Post
I've had good luck buying a few bikes with no titles. I used a company called "Titles Unlimited" where you essentially sell them the bike on paper (receipts through the mail) and then they register it in a state that has a transferrable registration/title and sell it back to you on paper. You then go to your state DMV and title it like normal. The state they register/title it in varies depending on which state you live in - they know which ones will work together.

It might sound shady, but I picked up some nice vintage Hondas at great prices because there was no title. The service cost about $200 but worked flawlessly three times for me and many more for another guy I know. I haven't done it in about six years, but I'll see if I can find the info on the company that used to do it.
Just because there are loopholes, doesn't mean it's shady.
I think this method only applies to older bikes though. Modern bikes still have to have some type of legit paper trail.
My buddy from Ohio went to Vermont to register an '85 gpz using a vin rubbing and physical inspection then transferred it to OH. Worked for him.

post #9 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Thanks frankly I'll look into it. Yes it was a theft recovery so I'm no worried about the cops cause I didn't do anything to be worried about... Probally just save up for another frame.

post #10 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Optio

Don't know about other states, but in TX you can get a bonded title. You pay an insurance bond of $100 or so (depending on the value of the vehicle) and get a "Bonded" title for three years. If someone shows up during that time, sues for the vehicle, and wins judgment, the bonding company pays the judgment and you reimburse them the cost. If it's still yours after three years, a clean title is issued. I think an out-of-state resident can title a vehicle in Texas using this procedure, but you'd have to look into it.

post #11 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Fat guy on a little bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Thanks frankly I'll look into it. Yes it was a theft recovery so I'm no worried about the cops cause I didn't do anything to be worried about... Probally just save up for another frame.
Don't buy a frame.

I "sell" my salvage bikes to a friend in Indiana. He gets a rebuilt Indiana title and then I "buy" the bike back and register here in Illinois.

Illinois has crazy tight title laws and require rebuilds of all vehicles to be done by a licensed (over $1000 year) repair shop. I circumvent that by having the "rebuild" done in Indiana!

Jeff
post #12 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Gets censored

Hmmm, well I don't have a salvage title, I don't have anything but a bill of sale. I called the dmv and they said its a solen recovery vehical and isn't titleable, like a COD is the way it was explained to me. Retarded, if you can build a bike and its not stolen, and does not have a lien you should be able to title it. I used to live in dallas I'll call over there and see if they can do anything different.

post #13 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Pilus Posterior

Hows the whole title thing work in the states? I often read about it but don't understand it.

post #14 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Immune

vehicle title looks like it might be the company I worked with before. I know they were in the south and these folks claim to be in Alabama.

gpzTurbo might be right about this technique being easiest (or even possible) with older bikes.

AllanB, here's the general title thing, but some states may vary... When you buy a bike here in the states you get a clean title with it, unless you finance the bike. If you lose your title it is usually a pain in the butt to get a new one. Some creditors actually hold the title, but some let you have the title with a stamp on it that says there is a lien. To register the bike you will need a title. In some cases the state you register the bike in sends the title to the lien holder to keep. When a bike is completely paid for you get a clean title. The lien holder will send you the title with a paid in full letter and you have to go pay the state for a clean title. If you total your bike or have it submerged in a flood your insurance company (assuming it is insured) will pay you for the bike, but you can pay some small amount to keep what's left of it and you will get a "Salvage" or "Flood" title. Bikes that have a salvage or flood title are obviously worth a lot less, but possibly more than a bike with no title at all. So in brief, you really need a clean title to sell a bike, and any title in your name to register one. But you might be able to find some ways around it as described in the overall thread. Some states apparently only require a bill of sale (receipt) to get a registration/title, but this might be for certain year bikes (older ones) which is how companies of the sort I previously described in the thread operate.

post #15 of 17 Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Optio

Frankly covered it all but the most basic thing: a "title" is legal proof of ownership. Not having a title makes a vehicle less valuable because a potential buyer has no assurance that it is not stolen or actually owned by a bank that lent money so that the vehicle could be purchased. Frankly already explained this, but in simplest terms, a "clear title" means you own it (not the bank that lent you the money). A "salvage" title lets potential buyers know that the bike (or car) was in a serious accident and has been rebuilt.

post #16 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Knucklehead Fabricator

In ND we can get an abandoned vehicle title from the sheriff if it is in our posession for 6 months and noone has reported the bike stolen. I have some friends who had a moto guzzi in their shop and the guy wasn't paying and we couldn't get a hold of him by phone, mail, or email. after a year of sitting in the corner a sheriff happened to come in to get some work done and asked about the bike. We told him the story and he had us a title for it the next week. Im getting a title for an old kawasaki this week so I can sell it easier. Costs about $10.

winter sucks.

Opinions are like assholes... and you're an opinion.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Optio

Wish every state had that deal. Makes sense. If no one has bothered to try to find their vehicle for 6 months, too freakin' bad, in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode