Tires, signals, - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

Tires, signals,

Time to look for some new tires, want to get another Pilot Power set, the dealer here has been hooking me up with decent pricing, not the best, but not bad, (well an employee of the dealer)... but he no longer works there, and now want to charge me the regular.. you'd figure after buying 5 bikes through them and all that that theyd keep it up.... they will mount and balance em for me pretty cheap though, and dispose of old ones, like 40 a wheel i think...

I remember a link to somewhere on here a while back, can't find thread now, was it dennis kirk? or where do you all reccomend getting them?

also, just saw the rizoma track 01 signals on pjsparts page, i like em, but kinda pointy, still like the zeroes

also, while on the rizoma subject, i notice pjs doesnt seem to have a full line, is there anywhere, stateside that anyone would reccomend? i love the mirrors as well... and now that ive lost the damn bar end, ive got to a) replace bar ends, b) put bar end mirrors, c) upgrade both...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 04:55 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

send pj a email, I'm sure he can get any Rizoma part you want.

post #3 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 05:22 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Tire express, and liberate yourself by learning how to change them yourself. I fugured by the time you've owned 5 bikes, you'd already know how...

post #4 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 05:25 AM
Unbannable

I highly recommend Pirelli Diablo's or Diablo Strada's if you want more ware. I haven't put them on my 919 yet but I ran them on my Ninja. Very good ware with very good grip. I'll never go back.

I get my tires from www.motorcycletire.com

post #5 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 05:29 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

has anyone ever purchased the tires listed on ebay successfully? They have some good prices sometimes..

post #6 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 06:04 AM
919, CRF250X, LC4, CB400F

www.swmototires.com

Excellent pricing, free (fast) shipping on two or more tires.

Obsession is a word the lazy use to define the dedicated.
post #7 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 06:14 AM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I get tires at my dealer. He knows the internet exists, so he prices his tires close enough to the net, to make it worth my while to give him the business.

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #8 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

Thanks for the replies guys,

1, I love pirelli, my car came with pzero rosso's and ive only shoed it with that, and every vehicle but my work van has them, (the van has some POS road kings on it), but, with bikes, ive loved michelin, and dunlopie! i want to give pirelli a shot, and just might do so, but god how i love the PP Michies

2, Yes yes, i know how to mount my own tires, but its just faster and less frustrating, and a slight bit more piece of mind having them do it, ive done it before, and well honestly, anything drive-train oriented i usually leave to someone who feeds himself doing just that... well, that and there is a Sams club right next door sort of, and well, who can't spend an hour in that place??

thanks for the site listings as well!

Ill give pj an e-mail,, after i save up the small fortune to purchase all that rizoma stuff...

post #9 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 12:46 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Taking it to the dealer is faster than you doing them yourself?????

and you trust them more than you do yourself??

Man, you read all sorts of things on the net!

post #10 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Taking it to the dealer is faster than you doing them yourself?????

and you trust them more than you do yourself??

Man, you read all sorts of things on the net!
I trust my dealer more than myself when it comes to doing tires. They're also faster than I would be.

Having never done tires, I'm sure I would not only butcher my wheels, but also somehow manage to not get a proper bead so that I'm constantly losing air. It takes the local powersports shop about 20 minutes to get my tire changed and they only charge me $15.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #11 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67GTONUT View Post
I get tires at my dealer. He knows the internet exists, so he prices his tires close enough to the net, to make it worth my while to give him the business.
+1

i do my homework then go talk to the local parts mgr...i'd rather spend the money around here and have a place to drop by when i need something...

- a place that will open back up when i show up 5 mins after closing time
- a place where my order is always squared away
- a place where special orders aren't a hardship
- a place that gets parts411 orders delivered 2x a week and my phone rings as soon as the truck is unloaded
- a place that will hook me up when i'm desperate for a few parts 24 hours b4 a 2 day track event

do i use the shop? not anymore...don't know the folks back there but i will spend my $$ on parts and acc if they have/can get what i want...

do i buy off the internet?
yeah, i spread it around but for sure the local place in on the list, near the top...

post #12 of 28 Old 09-26-2006, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

+1 to all the dealers out there that actually give a sh!t

seems like a lot of people have a hatred for the dealers...
I'm sure some of these places just fell out of the sky,

but chances are, if you have a dealer thats been there for 30 years or more, and they have mostly the same staff, and perhaps the offbeat chance that maybe a decent mechanic might actually work for them, and if said mechanic has been there for a while, then chances are he hasn't screwed anything up too bad, and knows what he is doing, and most places will stretch a little for return business.

I'd reccomend looking into your dealership first, hear what other people have to say, even if you hear a few bad things, don't consider it to be the end of the world, tell me someone or any shop, company etc. that has never made a mistake, or been baffled by something.

It's just a peace of mind, much faster approach for myself, and others to have someone do it, unless you've been practicing for the super-tire-swap olympics, my time is worth more to me to have a good mechanic do it.

post #13 of 28 Old 09-27-2006, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

a slightly different question, pertaining to the diablo tires..

it seems these are similar to the dunlop 220ST tires...

is this correct? or would these be a sort of in-between the dunlop sport touring 220 and mich Pilot Powers?

post #14 of 28 Old 09-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I believe the Strada is a little more performance oriented than the 220ST tires, but I could be wrong about that. I can tell you that you can easily drag the peg on a 919 with Stradas mounted. I guess that would put them in between the 220 and the PP

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #15 of 28 Old 09-27-2006, 06:09 AM
Unbannable

Just try the Pirelli's. You know you want to. I promise they will work well. If not you get one free kick in my jimmy!

post #16 of 28 Old 09-27-2006, 11:52 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

There is no way a tire will not take a proper bead. The $80 you are going to spend on one (set of ) tire installation will buy you the tools that you need. You can build a simple but effective work stand from an old 17" car wheel, some garden hose, and a piece of threaded rod. Bead breaker, tire irons, rim protectors, some tire slime, and you're set. Do what you want, Pal. I just hate seeing guys spending waaaay too much.

post #17 of 28 Old 09-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Bock said PP.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #18 of 28 Old 09-27-2006, 03:46 PM

i use my bike to get from here to there, i like backroads but i dont find myself on them often. I need tires and i have been looking into michelin pilot roads... anyone? i just dont know that i need the grip of the powers over the wear of the roads. feedback?

post #19 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackelfox View Post
i use my bike to get from here to there, i like backroads but i dont find myself on them often. I need tires and i have been looking into michelin pilot roads... anyone? i just dont know that i need the grip of the powers over the wear of the roads. feedback?
Dunlop 616.

post #20 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 10:43 AM

the dunlop's where OE on buells, which recentally moved to pirelli's... and have gotten alot of praise for the change... ... what gives you your opinion on the dunlops?

post #21 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackelfox View Post
the dunlop's where OE on buells, which recentally moved to pirelli's... and have gotten alot of praise for the change... ... what gives you your opinion on the dunlops?
Um...they look cool?

post #22 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 11:39 AM

I just bring my wheels to the local shop already off the bike and get tires swapped and balanced for $10/wheel.

post #23 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcent View Post
Um...they look cool?
If you look at the 616 upside down it says 919

Honda919Rider pointed that out.

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #24 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 07:08 PM

sold!

post #25 of 28 Old 09-28-2006, 07:11 PM

seriously though, im no knee dragger but i want tires that wont scare the crap out of me in unexpected situations. I ride everyday i dont want to replace tires all the time, and rain performance is vital to my purchase. Thats what got me sold on the silca loaded michelins. But i'd like some feed back before i drop 200+ on these guys (not that i wont get to revist my decision in a few months)

post #26 of 28 Old 09-29-2006, 06:12 AM

Being a relatively newer street rider (three years, pushing 20K street miles on various bikes, about 7K on my 919) I really don't know that I feel qualified to give a "review" of the performance of tires.

I'm also no kneedragger (I try) but I dunno...this is my third set of tires since new:
1. stock tires
2. dunlop 208's
3. dunlop 616's

I know with my style of riding which is primarily commuting - daily, followed by sport touring/weekend trips...that the 208's were a bad buy for me as the rear went bye bye in 3500 miles. I like Dunlop tires, having used them for life on my dirt machines, and saw online a few guys using the D616 on the 919, figured they'd last longer and they look cool...so I ran over to Iron Pony with my overtime cash and impulse bought some.

I feel like I'm rambling now, so basically my question is - what makes a person qualified to give a solid review of tires really? Or like what are the guidelines of tire review?

I've got about a thousand miles on the new rubber and they've never given me any problems at all, slipped on any corners or in the rain...so I'd like to think they're good tires - but then my 208's never did me wrong either. And even if they did slip some that wouldn't freak me out because of my lifetime of offroad riding. Damn it I'm no squid right? lol.

post #27 of 28 Old 09-29-2006, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

im gonna try a set of the pirelli diablos,, not sure which one,, i love the pilot powers, love the dunlop 220s, for wear... but someting inbetween... the stradas?...

anyway, if your looking for a tire that has amazing performance for its wear, that dunlop220st is perfect for what you sound like you want... you can drag the pegs with these puppies, (not reccomended)
they handle very well in the dry, they have a good lifespan even when driven hard, and if you have to drive through heavy rain, standing water... wonderful... not the greatest thing for any serious sessions with curves though. gets too hot and squirrely IMO,,but as a commuter, these things have never failed me, and give a very confident feel even in the heaviest rain.
Dunlop supposably re-vamped the 220ST here within a year or so... i dont know what changed all that much...

post #28 of 28 Old 11-15-2006, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

not wanting to start a new thread here...

Had the Diablo stradas on for a while.. you guys were right, it (so far) has been a good in-between of the D220 and the Pilot Powers, They feel a bit more secure handling, provide a bit more feedback than the 220s, as far as longevity... that will come in time, I'm not looking for super long life at all, but better than 2k miles.. so if it gets less than the 220's,, fine,, but better than the Pilot powers would be nice as tires every other month gets old....
although messing around with tire pressures....
what are those of you running these at? i tried around 35 rear, 30 front... and didn't quite feedback the way i expected... so i'm back at stock pressure.... which feels too much, backed it back off even lower... is this tire just not as receptive to pressure changes???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode