Tired of Riding alone!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Zed's dead baby...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Tired of Riding alone!!

Okay everybody, sorry if this gets wordy, but... I have been riding by myself ALL summer, and it's getting old, as a naked bike rider I seem to not have a Niche. All the Harley riders snub me, and 99.99% of sport bike riders here are COMPLETE SQUIDS! We have a large population of "Ruff Ryda's" around here making it WORSE!! So how do I find a group of non-squids that want to do a bit more than wheelies around town, and actually get out and see some things? Goldwingers? BMW guys? I feel like a bastard child here...

PCIII (Sato map by Kyle Racing); Sato Ti (second gen); Flapper disconnected; K&N (is that an accessory?); Self Made custom center stand; AFAM 17 tooth front sprocket; Galfer rear wave rotor, pads, and stainless line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I can't hep ya. I prefer to ride alone. That way, nobody else can see how lame I am.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #3 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL919Rider View Post
Okay everybody, sorry if this gets wordy, but... I have been riding by myself ALL summer, and it's getting old, as a naked bike rider I seem to not have a Niche. All the Harley riders snub me, and 99.99% of sport bike riders here are COMPLETE SQUIDS! We have a large population of "Ruff Ryda's" around here making it WORSE!! So how do I find a group of non-squids that want to do a bit more than wheelies around town, and actually get out and see some things? Goldwingers? BMW guys? I feel like a bastard child here...

I feel the same way out here on Long Island. Most of the people here fall into one of two groups, either the squids on sportbikes (usually kids), or the Harley people (usually old). What's a middle aged guy in an FZ1 to do? I usually ride around alone as well although I have been known to spontaneously join a group of Harley riders for a ride somewhere. I avoid riding with the squids as I'm always afraid of one of them doing something stupid and taking out the whole group of their collective stupidity drawing the attention of the local po po. It's too bad we don't live closer, I'd ride with you in a heartbeat.

Anyway, it's a beautiful day out so I'm going to take the bike out of it's house and do some riding.

post #4 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

the internet, quick way to find like minded people...these have all worked for me

> check for local sport touring groups, often there are routine 'shorter' rides that don't involve overnights...sport-tourers usually are; a little bit older, ride conservatively, squid-out far less, generally good folks who are serious about riding

>check local track clubs, folks who ride frequently at the track can be less inclined to do stupid stuff w/o an ambulance standing by (there's an age disclaimer thing here too...)

>check your local metric cruiser club....cruisers who just want an afternoon ride, metric so they have less attitude than the HD riders

>local group of HD riders, not the hardcore...but mostly you'll find doctors, lawyers, and professional types riding $20,000+ rigs...it's easy to get past the b.s. when you're serious about riding, not standin around jaw'in

post #5 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I was in the same situation until WT went down for a few days. I checked out a local site that has just started up and ended up meeting some decent young guns who are a good group of riders. They wear gear, do trackdays, and run some pretty nice local routes. Yhey're young, some fast, some not so fast, but they watch over each other pretty well. I think they were quite impressed when the old man on the 9er could hang with their 600s on the backroads.

I don't mind riding alone, but it's easy to fall into a funk. Having someone to judge yourself by makes it a lot more fun.

Like Ratdog said, try some of the local boards and see if anyone of them stand out.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Rock Island. Hmm. That's the quad cities innit?

post #7 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Zed's dead baby...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Lemon, yeah, Rock Island IL, Davenport IA, Moline IL, Bettendorf IA, thanks all for the advise and understanding, I'll certainly be trying all of your suggestions, as we have some beautiful scenery coming up here in a few weeks, would be a shame to see it alone!

PCIII (Sato map by Kyle Racing); Sato Ti (second gen); Flapper disconnected; K&N (is that an accessory?); Self Made custom center stand; AFAM 17 tooth front sprocket; Galfer rear wave rotor, pads, and stainless line.
post #8 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I'll also add the obvious safety factor of riding with someone. I always let the wife know my intended route, but I often stray from that. My phone does have GPS and they said they could track it if need be. Makes me feel a little better to know if I toss it into the weeds there's a chance of them tracing the phone to me.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #9 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 10:22 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

A good riding buddy is a real treasure. I always say that's the one thing I can't buy. If you see a likely candidate at a gas station, pull over and talk. Anyone on a bike is your friend when your on your bike. You'll have to conduct a lot of "interviews" before you find a decent bud. When you do, it's likely he has like minded friends, and then your in.

post #10 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 10:23 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

We sooooo need to have a midwest 9'er jam or something.

post #11 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

I keep saying I'm going to grab a few local members (jlux, mcdonald, and ratboy) and setup a day to ride but between work & family just haven't had the time.
I've also got a favorites folder stuffed with grownup riding clubs, toy runs , etc. that I haven't had time to checkout.

post #12 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

I realize IL is a big state but I memory serves me, there are a few IL members here on WT. Maybe you can hook up with them.

post #13 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
I was in the same situation until WT went down for a few days. I checked out a local site that has just started up
Which site would that be??I get to read more than ride lately a new page would be nice.

post #14 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 12:31 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
I'm all for that! I nominate Indianapolis, crossroads of the midwest. I even am a partner in tavern that is very bike friendly, could arrange a great party. At least everyone come to town for MotoGP next fall, we'll have a great time!

post #15 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 12:41 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Sounds like a good foundation sbeau. It'd work for me, might be a bit of a hike
for Il919 though.

post #16 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Louisville. I live in the middle of some nice twisties.

There's Thunder over Louisville, which is a huge fireworks/airshow, Louisville Slugger museum, and Churchill Downs.

Plus, did I add we've got some nice twisties.

I'll ride wherever though.

post #17 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Quote:
Louisville. I live in the middle of some nice twisties.

There's Thunder over Louisville, which is a huge fireworks/airshow, Louisville Slugger museum, and Churchill Downs.

Plus, did I add we've got some nice twisties.

I'll ride wherever though.
Jim, can I ride the Hurricane? I vote for Louisville.

post #18 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Curmudgeon

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
I'm all for that! I nominate Indianapolis, crossroads of the midwest. I even am a partner in tavern that is very bike friendly, could arrange a great party. At least everyone come to town for MotoGP next fall, we'll have a great time!
MotoGP is a MUST!
Another possibility is the Galena area. I hear that's quite place to ride / hike. Starved Rock is also a good location.

I plan to die young, as late as possible.
post #19 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Zed's dead baby...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Indy is a bit of a hike for me, about 6 hours, but i have a friend that lives out that way, so i could stay there if i took a whole day to ride out, i could have a day to rest up/ride around, it would give me a reason to buy a new saddle and take some time off work. I am a HUGE fan of the Galena area as well, it's about an hour and a half from me, i have been known to take off on a whim just to ride up there along the Mississippi, and on the twisties, thats local ground for me. Not sure how far louisville is, but with enough notice i would LOVE to get together with some fellow 9'er riders. My girl will be buying a 599 next spring!!!!

post #20 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 03:47 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Us 'sconsineers could meet the illinosians at th' border before descending into 'napolis.

bubble bubble toil and trouble

post #21 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 04:05 PM
Living the dream

Could us non 919 people join?

Went for a solo jaunt today. Wifey still tired from the trip to Atlanta. What bike followed me for a bit.....a 919.
post #22 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Sure, but we gotta jump you in first. Let me get my o-fishal 9-er Jump-the-new-guy-in manual.

post #23 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 04:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Oh. It says here, you gotta bring a Buddas hand.

and a jump rope.

post #24 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Louisville or Indy is fine with me. It's not too late to do a ride this year.

Mike, if you come you can ride the Hurricane, and if you crash you can take it back home with you.

I just have to work around local high school and U of L schedule.

As far as MotoGP, I'll be there next year, but in a big double slide out motorhome and a couple of Zumas.

post #25 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Zed's dead baby...

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Lemonhead, checking the 'ol google map, depending on what part of WI you are coming out of i could head east on 80, where the IL guys and the WI guys could connect somewhere around th 80/65 junction? What part of WI are you located in?

post #26 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

There's a local group in Indianapolis that's trying to organize a bike jamboree for 2009 around MotoGP, kind of like bike week in Daytona. Its working name is IndyBikeFest, I'm on their email list of local businessmen who support the idea, hopefully it will come together. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

Indianapolis is a bit short of twisty roads, but head south out of town into southern Indiana and the curves and scenary are outstanding. Wish I had a country estate for camping and hosting a get together, but I'm a city dweller. Plenty of lodging locally though, and it sure would be fun to have a bunch of 919's lined up around the Circle downtown on a Saturday night, instead of the usual Harleys and stretched 'busas.

post #27 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 07:02 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Lemon, yeah, Rock Island IL, Davenport IA, Moline IL, Bettendorf IA, thanks all for the advise and understanding, I'll certainly be trying all of your suggestions, as we have some beautiful scenery coming up here in a few weeks, would be a shame to see it alone!
My wrecked BMW is being repaired in Cedar Rapids, IA. Will be passing through the Quad Cities sometime later this month to pick it up. Grew up in Iowa, Hawkeye by birth and alma mater.

So we'll call it the Big Ten 919 get together?

post #28 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Gotta have the Big East in there. How about Big Ten East?

post #29 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 07:15 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Gotta have the Big East in there. How about Big Ten East?
There ya go, don't want to forget about the Louisville contingent, or Notre Dame for that matter.

And HondaJim, we rode for BBQ today, Ribfest in town. Killer ribs, Buddy Guy tearing up the stage, hot evening in a downtown park, couldn't beat it!

post #30 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
There ya go, don't want to forget about the Louisville contingent, or Notre Dame for that matter.

And HondaJim, we rode for BBQ today, Ribfest in town. Killer ribs, Buddy Guy tearing up the stage, hot evening in a downtown park, couldn't beat it!
aaahhhh......ribs, music and riding. It doesn't get much better than that. I saw Buddy a few months back. Sounds like a good time.

Okay, I think I've got enough rear tire on the 9er left to do what I'm going to suggest. U of L plays Thursday night, my youngest plays Friday night. If the weather is decent Saturday how about a meet up somewhere in Indiana. I could leave out early and we could run some roads as long as I'm home by dark. I'm 1:45 from Indy so not too bad.

Sniper? Bueller? Anybody game? I don't know the roads up that way except the slab to Indy.

post #31 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Tirone Shoelaces

Midwest

Quote:
My wrecked BMW is being repaired in Cedar Rapids, IA. Will be passing through the Quad Cities sometime later this month to pick it up. Grew up in Iowa, Hawkeye by birth and alma mater.

By the way, Iowa is the Cyclone state.

post #32 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

We need to say Phooey to those east coast lamers who do their "meets" and "bbqs" out of range of us Midwesterners and just have our own Midwest meet. With enough notice, we could probably get a good showing.

Too bad most of the coasts hog all the really good roads...

BTW, I really want to make it out to the N.E. BBQ next time, I'll long haul it fo sho. Would be sweet to find someone else to do it...

EDIT>> Hrm, maybe I should read the rest of the posts before coming up with "ideas". HondaJim, I'm totally in for a Louisville trip. I've got friends there so I wouldn't be forced to crash in your garage Love thunder, although not sure I'd love dedicating a riding weekend when there's major increase in traffic.

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #33 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 08:13 PM
orange

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloner View Post
By the way, Iowa is the Cyclone state.
Ah, an Iowa State fan. I don't know about those Cyclones, we've had Jamal Tinsley on the Pacers for several years and he sucks. Freddie Hoiberg was cool though. Dallas Clark on the World Champion Colts? Good Hawkeye!

"The Hawkeye State: This popular nickname for the state of Iowa is said to have come from the scout, Hawkeye, in James Fenimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans, published in 1826. According to the Iowa State web site, "Two Iowa promoters from Burlington are believed to have popularized the name." The nickname was given approval by "territorial officials" in 1838, twelve years after the book was published and eight years before Iowa became a state."

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread....

Not sure I can make a Saturday ride, heading out of town the first of next week and much to do. Current forecast for thunderstorms too, but of course that may change.

post #34 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 08:13 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Quote:
Lemonhead, checking the 'ol google map, depending on what part of WI you are coming out of i could head east on 80, where the IL guys and the WI guys could connect somewhere around th 80/65 junction? What part of WI are you located in?
Yaaaardude ! (I don't know why I said that)

I'm in Kenosha. Buzz through Chiwindy, pop out in gary. Pizz of plate.

post #35 of 53 Old 09-03-2007, 09:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Sure, but we gotta jump you in first.

Oh man, that's funny. I haven't heard that term in a while.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #36 of 53 Old 09-04-2007, 05:58 AM
libertine

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzTurbo View Post
I keep saying I'm going to grab a few local members (jlux, mcdonald, and ratboy) and setup a day to ride but between work & family just haven't had the time.
I've also got a favorites folder stuffed with grownup riding clubs, toy runs , etc. that I haven't had time to checkout.
Any time, the only person I ride with is the wifer and she just likes to go to veggie stands and such.

post #37 of 53 Old 09-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I often fly solo.

post #38 of 53 Old 09-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by async View Post
I often fly solo.
with hands like that...no wonder

post #39 of 53 Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
I agree that us Midwesterners should get together somehow, somewhere, sometime soon if we are going to do it this year. We need a central location with accomodations and good riding. We should start a thread to get some ideas and get the ball rolling before the snow does. I think Indy is a great idea for next years Moto GP but we could find something a little more central for all the Midwesterners here this season.

post #40 of 53 Old 09-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

So we quit jacking up IL919Rider's thread I started one on Midwest riding here: (midwest, your a$$ is gonna be sore!)

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...244#post125244

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode