Tire Wear - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 11:08 AM
tomvan72

Tire Wear

Ok, so more tire questions. Currently I am riding Dunlop 208's on my 04' 919. I have about 2000 miles on them and they are getting very close to the wear indicators. I know I need new tires but I also need the cash to get them. Can ya'll give me some money??$$??
just kidding, but how far can I take it before I am going to have issues. I am about 1mm away on the front and rear.

Is this a stupid question?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I just dropped a wheel off at the stealership to have a new tire put on since my tire is bald I run 208s as well

You can run the 208 pretty low, but once it gets worn, it starts to get slippery.

Edit: I think I only got a bit over 3000 miles out of mine, so you're not the only one looking for $$ to replace tires.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #3 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 11:25 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvan72
Is this a stupid question?
...question answered.

I could "squeeze" almost 5k miles outta the set of 208's I ran on the RC. I'm guessing you run more h'way than I do. Once you hit those wear bars it's not too much longer before you'll see cord. Start shopping now & better to be safe than sorry.

that's my $.02 towards new tires

post #4 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 11:35 AM
tomvan72

I am not running too much highway. The side is as worn as the center. I guess that is what I am more concerned about. Cornering traction.

post #5 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 11:42 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

...and you've only got 2k mis on 'em?! You should easily get 4k mis.

post #6 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_ryder
...and you've only got 2k mis on 'em?! You should easily get 4k mis.
especially the front.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 11:46 AM
tomvan72

My front is actually as worn as the rear. I hear that there is a high granite count in the asphalt here. That's what an Michelin rep told me anyway.
What for I dont know. I do ride the same 2.5 miles over and over again. Chasing Lord Caff.

post #8 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Awards Showcase

Yeah, did notice the Cackalacky roads look like sandpaper.

post #9 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I might be way off base here, but I think the 919 just eats 208s for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My bro runs the same tire on his bike and gets about 1k more out of a rear than I do on a bike that is waaaaay heavier. I think some of it is suspension and some of it is weight distribution. Whatever it is, the 919 has a serious appetite for rear tires.

I don't wheelie, do burnouts, or any of that crud. My sides are just as worn as my center. h_ryder, you're just giving me yet another argument to by an RR

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #10 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 11:58 AM
tomvan72

The Michelin guys test here all week long. The Pilot Powers are made for this area. I think the added granite ads to winter time traction for cars. The salt/sand they put down does not help for the scooter.

post #11 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 12:03 PM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bock919
I might be way off base here, but I think the 919 just eats 208s for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. My bro runs the same tire on his bike and gets about 1k more out of a rear than I do on a bike that is waaaaay heavier. I think some of it is suspension and some of it is weight distribution. Whatever it is, the 919 has a serious appetite for rear tires.

I don't wheelie, do burnouts, or any of that crud. My sides are just as worn as my center. h_ryder, you're just giving me yet another argument to by an RR
I guess I'm surprised that I could got 4-5k mis out of a set of 208's on the RC, which I'm pretty sure is heavier than a 9'r. ...plus the v-twin torque.

post #12 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 12:09 PM
tomvan72

This is my first full wear thru. The originl tire went to 2500 miles or so and got a puncture. So this will be writen off as a test. I plan on going to the Michelin next and record the patterns.

post #13 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 04:58 PM
cujo

I usually start shopping around for a tire when I hit the wear indicators. And like H ryder said, it is real soon then and the cord will start showing. So by the time I buy and get the tire off the internet (1 1/2 weeks), then get around to taking the wheel off (another week) and taking it to the dealer to get the tire mounted, the cord is almost always showing.

So go buy a tire now and you will be ready to go when that thing is toast.

post #14 of 18 Old 06-07-2006, 05:03 PM
tomvan72

It feels a bit "slippy" right now in the rear. Not scary. Just you can feel it settle in. I am finding that I will dig in more to get it to hook. feel the rear step out just a touch. Not due to Moto GP style riding but just flowing it. I am looking at tires right now.

Thanks for the answers.
Not once has anyone said something perverted?:sailor:

post #15 of 18 Old 06-08-2006, 05:02 AM

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvan72
It feels a bit "slippy" right now in the rear. Not scary. Just you can feel it settle in. I am finding that I will dig in more to get it to hook. feel the rear step out just a touch. Not due to Moto GP style riding but just flowing it. I am looking at tires right now.

Thanks for the answers.
Not once has anyone said something perverted?:sailor:
I noticed w/ the 208's that once they start getting down they need more & more heat into them to stick. Last fall I was out for a last of season ride on a 60* day, by the 2nd left-hander slip (which caused me to shoulder/grass it) I decided to call it a day.

you said "slippy" in the rear...

post #16 of 18 Old 06-08-2006, 06:50 AM
Immune

I need tires too.. but not getting Dulop 208's again. Wear to fast and slick when cold.

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #17 of 18 Old 06-08-2006, 06:54 AM
tomvan72

Hmmmm, alot of the days here are 65-75*. like yesterday for example, Handling was great but I am feeling the rear starting to step just a bit. It is not a bad thing yet. I can totally feel the difference in just 10* of temp change. Motorcycles are so cool!

post #18 of 18 Old 06-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Love Machine

I got 8k on my 208's last summer. Must me the Northern Indiana Pavement....lol.
All highway miles. Not many turns.....

Awarble,
07 Honda CBR600RR
My Site

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode