• 2 Post By LDH
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x
  • 2 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 25 Old 09-02-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Question Tire Survey - Michellin vs Bridgestone

Michellin PR 4s or Bridgestone Battlax Sport Touring T30 EVO?

Assume a mostly commute type rider but with a few twisties sprinkled in on slow weekends.

Bridgestones are $100 cheaper for the set.

SoCal weather - which means little to no rain... and a lot of concrete roads.

I've been on Michellins PR 3s for the past 10+K miles and need a new set.

Leaning towards the Michellins again but thought I would throw out the question to the "dogs" for Friday afternoon fun!

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-02-2016, 04:07 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

After running the Michelins, and the performance of them, I'd be hard pressed to try something else regardless of the reviews....

post #3 of 25 Old 09-03-2016, 06:16 AM
...is a Nihonjin.

I just came off a set of T30 (not EVO). Felt plenty sporty to me. Worked well in cold and hot weather. They lasted about 6k miles for me, but all depends on the rider.

post #4 of 25 Old 09-03-2016, 12:37 PM
jrj
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
After running the Michelins, and the performance of them, I'd be hard pressed to try something else regardless of the reviews....
What he said. ^^^

post #5 of 25 Old 09-06-2016, 09:01 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

I am just not a Bridgestone guy... They make some pretty good trackday tires, but their road tires just don't do it for me.

1. The front's always try to wander and hunt in every single groove they come across.

2. The front cupping prematurely is well documented and way worse that any other brand.

3. They just don't do as well in wet conditions as other brands especially when it comes to hitting paint stripes in the road etc.

The Michelin's on the other hand, well they pretty much have the most respected front end feel, feedback and longevity in the industry and are revered for wet weather riding both street and track.

Generally speaking of course.

post #6 of 25 Old 09-06-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Not so Rookie Anymore

Well... pulled the trigger on the PR-4s... That was my original inclination - but thought I would check to see if there were any Bridgestone fans out there. Most of the forum posts regarding tires have focused on the Michellins... but to be fair - there are other brands that many members seem to like as well.

This was just a quick compare between the two - and I'm sure I'll be happy with the PRs - just have to make up the $100 by cutting back on some of my other bad habits!

Cheers.
ewmin3m likes this.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-29-2018, 04:40 AM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
My tyre mechanic was so irritated by the mere mention of the T30 evos newly installed on the 05' 919 I grabbed early this year that he told me 'dont bring it to me when you want them taken off'.

His point was that he was that they are fine for touring, but far too hard, and a bastard to take off the rims. Seriously, he would rather not have my money! And I have been using his services for many years, he has a solid reputation in the area of the western suburbs here in Melbourne. Maybe it was connected to the Dunlops on my 09' Fazer which I took to him to change in 2016. I didn't realise they were the originals, and they were like rock! Bent some tools out of shape to remove and he showed me after with the tyre lying flat and bouncing up and down with his feet on the edges, barely any noticeable movement whatsoever. I mean, they were very old (bike had been sitting in a garage for a long time) yet still, they were like rock tyres. The difference going from them to Metzler Mr7s was immense...

As for the T30 evos, they were only put on in Feb of this year so I am loathe to change them and lose the value. Yet I have noticed that they do not perform well at all in the wet. In fact they seem a little less sticky, even when warmed up than most tyres I remember. And the 919 is no monster.

When it comes near to wear lines I will seek out some Michelins. As most my riding is commuting, barely any highway riding these days...

post #8 of 25 Old 08-29-2018, 07:33 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

All Skidstones suck in the wet... Always have, probably always will.
ewmin3m and Islandboy like this.

post #9 of 25 Old 08-29-2018, 12:35 PM
919 Rider

Hey gutter, I'm not far from you. Flinders island, Tasmania.
I also don't think much of Bridgestone motorcycle tires. Get the Michelin or Pirelli. I'm currently running Pirelli Diablo strada. My previous tires were Bridgestone. The Bridgestone slipped occasionally and wore very fast. The Pirelli Diablo have never slipped and so far worn a great deal less. They also have a cool looking tread pattern.
You be careful in that Melbourne traffic. Many random idiots driving there that probably shouldn't have a driver's license.
thegutterpoet likes this.

post #10 of 25 Old 08-29-2018, 01:04 PM
Discen

I'm running Metzler Roadtec 1, and they have been excellent, I don't ride in the rain so no idea there.

post #11 of 25 Old 08-30-2018, 04:59 AM
Tesserarius

The only reason Bridgestone is still in the motorcycle tire business is because Honda puts them on at the factory. Every Bridgestone I've ever had was crap.

I've had only one bad experience out of the dozens of Michelins that I've had in my life, and that was a car tire.

Recently I've been riding on Pirellis, on the 848 Streetfighter. They went out too quick, but you can bet your life that they'll stick in a curve. I put a Pirelli on frontt of the 990 Super Duke, with a Pilot Power 3 on the rear. I may put a Pirelli Angel GT on that bike when the Michelin wears out.

I go thru back tires way too fast. I'm going to try a Sport Touring tire on the 990, see what happens.
Islandboy likes this.

post #12 of 25 Old 08-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Hey gutter, I'm not far from you. Flinders island, Tasmania.
I also don't think much of Bridgestone motorcycle tires. Get the Michelin or Pirelli. I'm currently running Pirelli Diablo strada. My previous tires were Bridgestone. The Bridgestone slipped occasionally and wore very fast. The Pirelli Diablo have never slipped and so far worn a great deal less. They also have a cool looking tread pattern.
You be careful in that Melbourne traffic. Many random idiots driving there that probably shouldn't have a driver's license.
Greetings Island boy,
yes yes! As I just wrote elsewhere on the forums...I will reach the end of my 12 month probation period in November, and if I can make it without receiving the 1 infringement point I have been hiding from since November of last year when I decided to take 12 months probation rather than 6 more months banned (was banned for 6 months before)...in this tough to find set of circumstances, I will perhaps treat myself to a different set of tyres. The T30 Evos would only have 8 months of riding on them, but its not power I am seeking, not to nourish the boy racer within, but mainly safety. Cannot put a price on safety. If I get them sooner, I will be tempted to allow myself a little wildness before receiving my points back and that would be...too stupid and too dangerous in terms of living in the most densely policed city I have visited on Earth (other than Singapore where I wanted OUT OUT OUT as soon as possible). The diablos were suggested by my chum here in the work place just now...I had been leaning loosely towards the Michelin Pilot Road. Will have to ponder the Pirellis with more zeal and also check for pricing nearer the time...also have to sell my Fazer, the price of which I could grab 500 for new rubber.

How is Tasmania for riding? I have only been once to visit with my vicious ex valkyrie raptor...hugely enjoyed the abundance of Nature, Freycinet and a cabin in the woods near the place where that man took a few people out a while back...and a beach side area, very quiet but lovely, chilly water...wrote a couple of jolly reviews en-route:

not fit for seagulls...
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Resta..._Tasmania.html

the horses and sheep appeared normal

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel..._Tasmania.html

Sometime think of aiming to get a loan for a property in tasmania with my pixie queen and to renovate into an airbnb with yoga studio and motorcycle rental all rolled into one. I would look after the former and latter, not the stretching and moon sequence. I love the moon, but to stare at, not slowly dance to on a mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
The only reason Bridgestone is still in the motorcycle tire business is because Honda puts them on at the factory. Every Bridgestone I've ever had was crap.

I've had only one bad experience out of the dozens of Michelins that I've had in my life, and that was a car tire.

Recently I've been riding on Pirellis, on the 848 Streetfighter. They went out too quick, but you can bet your life that they'll stick in a curve. I put a Pirelli on frontt of the 990 Super Duke, with a Pilot Power 3 on the rear. I may put a Pirelli Angel GT on that bike when the Michelin wears out.

I go thru back tires way too fast. I'm going to try a Sport Touring tire on the 990, see what happens.
Definitely adding to my suspicions and encouraging me to seek new shows for the beast...

post #13 of 25 Old 08-31-2018, 08:01 AM
919 Rider

Tasmania is a great place to ride motorcycles, both on road and off. The roads and tracks are great and so is the scenery. The tide of humanity hasn't quite reached us here yet. The roads aren't crowded and there are plenty of corners.
ewmin3m and thegutterpoet like this.

post #14 of 25 Old 08-31-2018, 10:17 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Tasmania is a great place to ride motorcycles, both on road and off. The roads and tracks are great and so is the scenery. The tide of humanity hasn't quite reached us here yet. The roads aren't crowded and there are plenty of corners.
Some fantastic places will stay spared of the tide of humanity.
Thankfully!

I could never again live where I lived as a kid growing up.
Wall to wall people, insane traffic, insane housing prices, over 60 miles of uninterrupted change from town to town, city to city - whatever, with nary a break between any of them.

Meanwhile, where my great grandfather came from, there is no one left.
The Glens are empty.

Strange how it all works, eh?
Although some might suppose, is it really working?
Islandboy likes this.

post #15 of 25 Old 08-31-2018, 10:23 AM
Centurion

Garage
Do you have really fast internet for reasonable prices ? If yes i'll come help you with the bees xD :P

Quote:

post #16 of 25 Old 08-31-2018, 01:57 PM
919 Rider

I'm afraid normal internet, phone and TV reception is poor. Something about living on the edge of a data signal cliff. But it can be fixed with a satellite dish. You are welcome to come over and help with the bees. We'll get you a little satellite dish.

post #17 of 25 Old 08-31-2018, 05:41 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Some fantastic places will stay spared of the tide of humanity.
Thankfully!

I could never again live where I lived as a kid growing up.
Wall to wall people, insane traffic, insane housing prices, over 60 miles of uninterrupted change from town to town, city to city - whatever, with nary a break between any of them.

Meanwhile, where my great grandfather came from, there is no one left.
The Glens are empty.

Strange how it all works, eh?
Although some might suppose, is it really working?
When I moved to the Sunshine Coast there was 1 set of traffic lights and a small main street.
Now, after 30 years It's has thousands of traffic lights, giant shopping plazas, and the river and beaches are so crowded on the weekends It's a nightmare.
The world population has tripled in 60 years.
Where to next, It's too hot to move north, and too crowded to move south.
What I need is a summer house in Tassie, and a winter house where I am now.
Just don't have the $'s.
What are the prices like on King Island, it looks nice and remote.

post #18 of 25 Old 08-31-2018, 06:39 PM
919 Rider

I lived/worked in far north Queensland, Cardwell on a prawn farm about 30yrs ago. I loved it, then. Beautiful place.
Tassie house prices are some of the lowest in Australia, even lower here on Flinders island. A lot of people from the mainland, mostly Victoria retire here. My neighbour is from Melbourne. He sold his place for around 500k, brought a house and 50 acres for 200k here.

post #19 of 25 Old 09-01-2018, 12:31 AM
Discen

Quote:
I lived/worked in far north Queensland, Cardwell on a prawn farm about 30yrs ago. I loved it, then. Beautiful place.
Tassie house prices are some of the lowest in Australia, even lower here on Flinders island. A lot of people from the mainland, mostly Victoria retire here. My neighbour is from Melbourne. He sold his place for around 500k, brought a house and 50 acres for 200k here.
I'm about halfway between Cardwell and Flinders Island, not sure why I thought it was King.
I hate the cold though, and where I am would be one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Mostly, people who retire here have lived all around the world, and traveled extensively.
It's rare to have a shitty cold and wet winters day, and summer averages 29 C, can get a little humid at times, but it is a fairly steady temperature, so you get used to it.

post #20 of 25 Old 12-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Finally sold the FZ1 and with some of that cash I am going to treat myself to a new set of tyres for my 05 919.

I had been pretty determined to get some Pilot Road 4s. Though it seems the Pirelli Diablo is also highly regarded? I had some Metlzer mr7s on my FZ before and they were superb...I am desperate to get rid of these horrid T30 evos now! The rear end slips too often, bit of dust on the road and too much throttle applied and the back end wiggles. In the wet, its almost a given I will lose the back end a little on take off.

Is there a stock size? Any variance for faster turn in etc?

post #21 of 25 Old 12-10-2018, 08:29 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutterpoet View Post
Finally sold the FZ1 and with some of that cash I am going to treat myself to a new set of tyres for my 05 919.

I had been pretty determined to get some Pilot Road 4s. Though it seems the Pirelli Diablo is also highly regarded? I had some Metlzer mr7s on my FZ before and they were superb...I am desperate to get rid of these horrid T30 evos now! The rear end slips too often, bit of dust on the road and too much throttle applied and the back end wiggles. In the wet, its almost a given I will lose the back end a little on take off.

Is there a stock size? Any variance for faster turn in etc?
Just go with the pilot road... best tires for street riding bar none... Also, I'd be careful when looking at the Pirellis that you're looking at the same tire. "Pirelli Diablo" is about 6 different tires... it's the word that comes after diablo that's the important one.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #22 of 25 Old 12-10-2018, 08:36 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Just placed an order for a set of Road 5's

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dan
post #23 of 25 Old 12-11-2018, 01:15 PM
Milites Gregarius

Garage
I did a fair amount of research. Was offered some Q3s fitted for AU$350 but not interested...the PRs seem by far the most perfect in the wet, yet not close to the most perfect in the dry. Most of my riding for fun is in the dry, I ride more carefully in the wet, so extra grip in the lean is less important there (I will be more upright). The metzlers have some great reviews for an all rounder, yet the Angel GT have come out top, not just from the reviewers I trust but from my tyre fitter. Not designed to last a long time, but for a good time. Best choice for aggressive riding in urban realm with less interest in longevity. Seems the right choice for me. And I am going with them.

post #24 of 25 Old 12-11-2018, 02:12 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Road 5s were waiting for me when i got back from getting brake pads from Kyle Racing

Dan
post #25 of 25 Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Road 5s were waiting for me when i got back from getting brake pads from Kyle Racing

Sweeeet!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode