Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

tire pressure you run in 919 ?

tire pressure you run on 919

29K views 40 replies 31 participants last post by  mynameisthomas 
#1 ·
i have seen many discussion on this, so lets see what collective wisdom (if there is such thing) will tell us ;))

#5 ·
By the book, cause I don't know anything else yet. Once I get a few more miles racked up and the stock tires to the landfill, I'll experiment with the pressures. Does anyone here use nitrogen in their tires?

#6 ·
36 frt / 40 rear

It likes 40psi.I used to check it and put it to 42 and a few days later(no matter the season)it would be back to 40 and then stay there till I pumped it back to 42 ,few days later repete now I just leave it at 40.

Wierd but it only drops pressure if I put it at 42.It has been this way with at least the last two rear tires.

#10 ·
I've been sneaking over to your house and letting the air out. :balloon:

I usually run the max pressures (36/42), especially when touring. I will sometimes drop both 2 to 4 psi if I'm just backroading it.

#11 ·
This time I'm sticking to 36-42. I weigh 240 and took advise on lowering before to get a better ride with more grip and cupped the front bad. Next time you take off a cupped tire, try pushing on the tread after you remove the tire! It'll scare the crap out of you as to how thin it is.

#13 ·
38r / 34f most of the time. If I'm planning some aggressive twisties I'll drop it to 36r / 32f. Seems to work pretty well carrying my 220 lb ass.

Whenever I drop it lower than that it starts feeling too squirrely for my taste when pushing it.

#15 ·
"Does anyone here use nitrogen in their tires?"
we all use nitrogen in our tires. it's the majority of air.

9 psi rear, 30-38 front. hey! make yours a hardtail and keep it at 32psi...i ain't !

4400 miles on the oem michelin front. sure it's cupped, and sure it's such a hard compound that i sometimes push/skid my front end while trying to do my burnout...but a new one won't make me any quicker so it STAYS.

#17 · (Edited)
Hello!! I don't need just the pressures! WHAT TIRES ARE YOU USING WITH THESE PRESSURES????
---- Something like this ----------------
I've stated this quite often -- the Pilot Roads love low pressures. Solo pressures rear 31 to 33, front 26 to 29.
Yeah I'm crazy, but this isn't evidence of it. They work brilliantly under all conditions, especially in the wet, and last a good long time. At placard pressures they are a disaster.
This applies to the Roads only!!!!!!!
------ There now, that wasn't so hard was it? -------

Rob

#20 ·
shinko 003, the harder of the two compounds. what was i thinking NOT going with the ultrasoft?

exclusively drag. i think i did less than 1 mile of street riding last year.

i've never tried to calculate my racing mileage. my used PCIII that i bought off ebay a couple of years ago appears to be a big reason why my bike can be VERY fussy starting. i believe that my hard starting almost perfectly coincides with that PCIII installation. so i've been letting my bike idle WAY too much between rounds, to avoid having to rush to the line, use ether, etc. naturally, all the idling will make it tough to calculate mileage. and i'm thinking this wouldn't be an option at race tracks with an air temperature over 70 or so. but i am curious what my actual w.o.t. racing fuel mileage is. no, i avoid filling the tank pretty religiously. okay, agnostically.

#27 ·
Honda 919 vs. Kawasaki zrx 1200

Purchased a 919 and so far love it. Had an 03 zrx 1200 and loved it but front end seemed to push in corners with stock suspension. 919 seems to be all around great bike. I installed Yoshi slip on mufflers and it runs really good and sounds good. Bike feels like a 600 with 1000 power. Gear box is a little stiff but the 07 bike was never ridden by first owner as it has 450 miles on it. I did not get owners manual is how I came to site to look for proper pressure on tires. I have had several bikes over the last 40 years and am partial to Kawasaki but the 919 is pretty sweet. I like the upright bars it offers as the lay down positions are not my style. Hard to believe a bike like this can get into 100 plus speed going into 3rd gear with a top end of 155 plus who needs the big bikes when this one offers light weight and plenty of power and speed. Sure it can not hang with a 1200 or bigger in a race but the cops will lock you up if caught doing it so I tend to just do little short burst of speed and avoid the racing and top end death wish that some love.

#30 ·
Jumping on this discussion late! On my Michelin Pilot Road 5's, I ran 36/42 typically. Looking back, it was probably a little high.
Now, I just put Dunlop Sportmax Q3+'s, and am running 34/32 and love it! I have less chicken strip in 100 miles than I got the entire 6,500 miles, and feel much more confident on corners.

#31 ·
36/42 is purely a liability dodge based on the required pressure to meet the maximum load rating of the tire.
36/42 is counter productive to feel, wet and dry grip, and ride/handling quality.
But if one could somehow create a load on a 919 that is same or near the load rating for the tire, then the high pressure must be used for safety reasons.

#33 ·
The higher numbers are for maximum load rating only.

High speeds are a different kettle of fish and rather nuanced.
Which test standard?
What applied load level?

Doing top end on public roads or at a track day solo for some distance at many MPH over the speed rating is most likely going to be fine ( such as trapping 165 mph every lap on Z speed rated tires at 28 psi cold).
The bigger issue is riding heavy for hours on really hot pavement, such as two up touring on a heavy bike.
Running the tires a bit harder helps control tire temperature and increase tire life.
I generally run 32/35 on the street.
If I'm going to do a hours long day ride with a passenger in warm weather, I generally go to 33/38.

Some fact based common sense does need to prevail overall.

#36 ·
I don't remember that one but it would be interesting to see if any context was part of it.
For solo local riding those values will make little difference from the characteristics if 36/42, as in sacrifice of everything except liability related in terms of a milkable corporate entity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.