Tips for first time 919 drag racer? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
nom nom nom

Tips for first time 919 drag racer?

This Saturday I'm going to run the 919 at a street legal event at the local dragstrip. I've been drag racing cars for a few years but I've never run a bike. Anyone have any tips for a first timer on a stock 919?

'02 919
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 07:19 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

**Ping** Bucky

post #3 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Go fast. That's all I got.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

Pin it and hope no one installed a chicane !

But really - Bucky does just this and I know he hasa wealth of info to share !

post #5 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

don't

post #6 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

have fun

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #7 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Tirone

Post your times and who you beat/loss to when you are done.

post #8 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 12:18 PM
DaveCB919F4

Launch with both feet on the ground so the bike will go stright when the wheel spins. Get up on the tank to help slow down wheelies. Don't do a burn out it doesn't help on street tires. Have fun. I drag race mine all the time and its a blast.

post #9 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Aquilifer

sorry i missed a chance to be a know-it-all. these are some of my sweetest times.

how'd you do, and is there anything i can answer for you?

if i can't race, i might as well live vicariously through you.

my advice for ultimate quickness (which is NOT the goal of bracket racing) is to abuse the clutch. that's where your 60' times live. the rest is easy: shift at redline, more or less, and keep it pinned !

"2ohno", i actually do other things. but drag racing is the focus of my motorcycle habit at present.

post #10 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Get a DRAG LOWERING FRONT STRAP... strap the front as low as you can. I ran my 919 strapped for the first time yest and ran faster than I ever have on this bike. It still wheelied right up outta the hole but the wheelies were far more manageable that without the strap... I could just ride them out til the front set down and I got 2nd gear.

I recommend doing at least some burnout. Altho it's true street tires on cars don't get stickier with a burnout.. motorcycle tires are closer to race compounds and they do get tacky as they get melty. Plus, if you roll thru all the water and rocks etc. that others have left behind in the staging lanes, it cleans that sh!t off. Do a burnout!

P.S. Plus you look bad a$$ doing burnouts. Chicks will just fling their panties at you as the smoke envelopes your awesome presence. If you ride the burnout forward, you can emerge from the cloud of smoke like a gladiator taking ready to bag your kill! It's very godlike.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #11 of 61 Old 06-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Hey.. consider this as well!

RPM Timing advancer

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #12 of 61 Old 06-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Aquilifer

right on, motocycho.

i still have 3 seasons of spectator panties on ebay !

i dropped my fork tubes in the triples, but of course wheelies aren't normally an issue for me so i didn't even think of that in this forum.

i NEVER launch with my left foot off the peg. i NEVER have squirrely launches (well, i never lift!), and i guarantee nobody has spun a 919 tire off the line like i have, as often as i have. for one thing, the asphalt never gets very hot in Alaska.
in fact, i reckon nobody has more drag runs on a 919 than i do. not bragging, but it's likely fact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5202007burnoutfrombehind.jpg (86.6 KB, 73 views)

post #13 of 61 Old 06-18-2008, 06:03 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
"2ohno", i actually do other things. but drag racing is the focus of my motorcycle habit at present.

I didnt mean it neagativly, I hope you didnt perseve it as such, I meerly ment you had done races on one and would be willing to share your experinces with what will work and what wont for that bike -

post #14 of 61 Old 06-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Aquilifer

i was kidding. i'm a kidder. My great, great aunt was known as "Aunt Eva, the Teaser" and i have her genes.

post #15 of 61 Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 AM
it's a honda, not a bmw

Launching the bike and first gear is where it's at. After you get it up to 2nd, just keep the throttle wide open and click through the gears as needed. Play with the clutch, careful of the front end coming up, and be prepared for some wheelspin.

My tip, try different start positions in the lane. At my local strip (Great Lakes Dragaway) they spray the sticky junk down at the line. I forget what it's called, but you'll know what I'm talking about when your shoes stick to the pavement. Anyhow, cars tend to rip the sticky stuff up quicker and starting from where the car tracks are may have less grip. I've had an easier time sticking the launch from the center hump of the lane. (Kinda the opposite of on the street where normally all the oil and crap builds up in the center of the lane.

A semi-related follow up question, , , anyone ever spin the back tire off the line and have the front end come up at the same time? Quite a disturbing feeling on a bike and it's happened at the track and on the street for me. One or the other is easy enough to manage, but both can make for some poor 60' times.

post #16 of 61 Old 06-18-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
nom nom nom

Our track has a "groove" that is blocked off to anyone not running slicks. They block it with an orange cone if the racer is on street tires and allow bikes to run on it. It's prepped with VHT much better than the street tire part of the lane.

'02 919
post #17 of 61 Old 06-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Aquilifer

i've found that some of my quickest 60' times included spin and wheelie. to paraphrase a hundred different tv ads, "that's how you know it's working!".

my long swingarm removed the drama, i'm sure.

it happened more when i had 16/46 gearing and the oem Michelin on back.

post #18 of 61 Old 06-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
i've found that some of my quickest 60' times included spin and wheelie. to paraphrase a hundred different tv ads, "that's how you know it's working!".....
Yup! If you ain't in a wheelie.. you ain't doing it hard enough!

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #19 of 61 Old 06-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

my clutch cries...mary

post #20 of 61 Old 06-19-2008, 01:53 PM

i'd say just ease it out in 2nd gear and never go more than 50% throttle.

oh wait.

you want to win? pin it and don't miss any shifts!

do you shift clutchlessly? (is that a word?)

post #21 of 61 Old 06-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Hey Hando are you dragging out at Sabin? What day are you going? I wouldn't mind joining you and doing some drag runs myself.

post #22 of 61 Old 06-22-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
nom nom nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
Hey Hando are you dragging out at Sabin? What day are you going? I wouldn't mind joining you and doing some drag runs myself.
Yup, I was out there all day yesterday and got about 20 passes in. It was a blast! The next street legal is July 20th. I won't make that one but I'll definately be racing at the August 17th and October 4th Street Legals. You should join me!

I managed to pull a best of 12.1 at 115. I know the bike had an 11 in it but I couldn't manage to get out of the hole for the life of me. The best 60ft I pulled was a 2.1 and no other bike out there pulled a 60ft in the 2's. I didn't see any other bikes that weren't strapped so I think that will be something I'll look into for next time. My wife recorded almost all the runs I made so I'll try to get some vids up this week.

'02 919
post #23 of 61 Old 06-22-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
Yup, I was out there all day yesterday and got about 20 passes in. It was a blast! The next street legal is July 20th. I won't make that one but I'll definately be racing at the August 17th and October 4th Street Legals. You should join me!

I managed to pull a best of 12.1 at 115. I know the bike had an 11 in it but I couldn't manage to get out of the hole for the life of me. The best 60ft I pulled was a 2.1 and no other bike out there pulled a 60ft in the 2's. I didn't see any other bikes that weren't strapped so I think that will be something I'll look into for next time. My wife recorded almost all the runs I made so I'll try to get some vids up this week.
Cool, can't wait to see the vids. I will keep August 17th open.

post #24 of 61 Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
... I didn't see any other bikes that weren't strapped so I think that will be something I'll look into for next time....
Hum? Kinda sounds like something I have heard before... just can't put my finger on it.

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #25 of 61 Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Aquilifer

you guys should have no problem hitting 11's . i hit 11.9 on a stock 1996 cbrf3, and i ain't a) no lightweight nor b) very good at it. no straps, no lowering. 11.7 on my 919 stock, back in the day.

post #26 of 61 Old 06-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
you guys should have no problem hitting 11's . i hit 11.9 on a stock 1996 cbrf3, and i ain't a) no lightweight nor b) very good at it. no straps, no lowering. 11.7 on my 919 stock, back in the day.
There are several limiting factors you neglect to observe. Rider weight, track elevation, rider skill/experience. I'd love to see your frown when all your "best" times are at least .7 seconds slower at 4400 ft. ...probably more. Add a little more girth and watch your mid 10s turn to high 11s. It;s like 3% power loss per 1000 ft elevation and one tenth for ever 25 lbs weight. Just sayin'!

No fat jokes. I am what I am! ...and I am faster than you!... finally!

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #27 of 61 Old 06-24-2008, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
nom nom nom

Quote:
I expected to be in the 11s and if I had any skill at all I would have been there. I shifted with the clutch and couldn't launch for ****. I can see an 11.7-11.9 if I would have let someone else ride the bike. Oh well, it was fun and I can't wait to do it again!

'02 919
post #28 of 61 Old 06-24-2008, 11:28 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 

^^ And thats what its all about !!!

post #29 of 61 Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Aquilifer

moto, i'm going to tease a bit here. don't take it seriously. in fact, don't take it.

it's easier to get a good 60 foot time with less horsepower, so i challenge your assertion on "all best times". come to think of it, it's easier to lay down quick 60 foot times if you're fat too. less wheelie.

also moto, is 4400 the elevation at THEIR track, or are you still trying to defend your OWN miserable times? let it go: i accept your bad altitude.
btw, you should bring your own oxygen in a bottle if you want to go quick. it's called nitrous.

and you don't know what i observe or what i ignore! i'm aware of ALL that and more that you mentioned.

but for the love of god, the guy's shifting with the clutch! nothing personal hando, but to me, that's like hearing that you race in flip-flops.

there's an 11 in your future. don't let overweight, oxygen starved old men lower YOUR expectations !

i don't know if you ride to the track or not, but lower the rear tire pressure, make believe that your clutch is cheating on you with a Harley (abuse it), and for the love of god, enough with the clutch already!

go get 'em, tiger.

i'm going to throw my bike back together and unleash afew more nitrous rounds before i tear it apart.

post #30 of 61 Old 06-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
...there's an 11 in your future. don't let overweight, oxygen starved old men lower YOUR expectations !
What he said... oh wait.. what I said too. Get a strap.

Quote:
i'm going to throw my bike back together and unleash afew more nitrous rounds before i tear it apart.
You would. Just throw caution to the wind huh? Damn those rings, rods, bearings! He he. I guess your still not doing it hard enough! Send that 9er out with a bang I say. Good enough reason to man up for the 14 (or a Busa if you must).

So Bucky.. come teach me!

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #31 of 61 Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
nom nom nom

Well, I'll be back at the track tonight and hopefully dropping a few tenths this time around. I installed a PCIII with the map for my TBR slip-ons and strapped the front end this week. I'm hoping for an 11.7 so wish me luck!

'02 919
post #32 of 61 Old 07-11-2008, 09:42 AM
Aquilifer

you have one of the toughest clutches in motorcycledom. get the bike up to 6k on the line, and just S L I D E that clutch out gently. a hint of a relaxation of your right wrist is all you need to shift, maybe just a tad longer on the 1-2. have you been practicing your clutchless shifting on the street?
attaboy !

also remember NOT to grab an agressive fistful of front brake once you clear the lights at the end. you may not be used to braking from 115+, and you never know what the pavement's like down the big end of the track. click a few downshifts first, sit up a little and let aero drag bring you down.

breathe deeply just before your runs, maybe with the pre-stage light lit. slow it all down. it's just another ride, albeit a short one. let it come to you.

"be the ball, Danny"

post #33 of 61 Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Aquilifer

oh, and keeping your head forward and low WILL reduce wheelie tendency somewhat

post #34 of 61 Old 07-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Tesserarius

Wrap your body around the tank!

post #35 of 61 Old 07-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Aquilifer

climb in, if you can.

post #36 of 61 Old 07-14-2008, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
nom nom nom

Well, Friday was an interesting night. I left work early to get to the track as they said they'd start racing at 4:00. This is the first Friday Test & Tune the track has ran in 3 years and they didn't announce it until 4 days before the event. I showed up and there were a total of 3 people there. I don't know if it was because of the head wind (30 mph steady, 40 mph gusts) or becuase the track didn't advertise anywhere but on their website and didn't announce the event until it was too late.

Anyways, there were a total of 7 (yes 7) racers all night....3 cars, 3 bikes, and a junior dragster. I ended up getting 30 passes in, 27 on my bike and 3 on a friend's. I pulled a few 11.7s after a best of 12.1 from 2 weeks ago, which was really suprising since the wind was so strong.

A buddy also insisted that I take a few passes on his '06 GSXR 1000. He has pulled a few 9.9x's with a stock motor and stock wheel base and the bike really screams (PCIII, DJ ignition, lowered, air shifter). I ran a 10.7 at 135 and man was it fun. I could have surely gone faster buy I kep blipping the throttle evey time I used his air shifter to shift instead of staying WOT and really I was scared racing someone elses bike. Riding that bike was a great learning experience though as the next pass I made on my bike after riding his was my first 11, and the next 2 passes after that were also personal bests.

This coming weekend is another street legal event so I'm hoping to drop a few more tenths this time around.

'02 919
post #37 of 61 Old 07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Aquilifer

rockit!

good job, repetition as is allowed by such a small field is the BEST. you may find a few more tenths in the gixxer, but if you go as low as 11.5 on the hornet .... well then, i'm REALLY not doing my job.

post #38 of 61 Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Tirone

My first time to the strip ever I pulled an 11.4 on my 02, with Sato's and a PCIII.

Of course, I'm not dealing with much in the way of elevation, and at the time I was clocking in at about 165#.

K

post #39 of 61 Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Aquilifer

i only ran mine stock 4 passes. 2 were 11.7's, i went about 210 pounds in full gear then. damn! i do this year too !

post #40 of 61 Old 08-26-2008, 08:32 AM

What kinda times do these run. I see they have around 103hp. I would guess 10.90's are possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode