Time for some new Handlebars. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 04-03-2006, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Time for some new Handlebars.

Time for me to upgrade to some low handlebars.
Any suggestion on which brand/model would fit easily on my 03 919? Any tips on installation procedures?
TIA
Alex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Here is a list of various handlebars and their dimensions in millimeters. You can choose which one would suit your riding style. The Renthal Ultra lows and Coerce are popular choices.

--------------------Width-----Height-----Pullback
Stock 919------------660-------102---------190
Coerce---------------690------- 30---------100
Stock FZ1------------660--------76---------165
Renthal Ultra lows-----725--------75---------95
Renthal Streetfighter--755-------100---------80
AFAM superbike-------730--------80---------80

post #3 of 10 Old 04-03-2006, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Thanks Mike, very useful comparison.
Anything tricky that I should be aware on the process of uninstalling the old chrome bar and installing a new one? (controls)
Will the old grips fit a new bar or are most likely to get damaged/cut when are taken off the stock bar?
Thanks again.

post #4 of 10 Old 04-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Tips on how to replace the bar...

All these bars including the stock one are 7/8" diameter; the stock grip can be reused. You only need to remove the left grip which is easy to do by spraying some soapy water or WD-40 between the grip and the bar while twisting the grip until it comes loose. The throttle cable side simply slides off, be sure to remove the stock bar ends. You will have to buy a new set of bar ends but they are inexpensive and come in various colors of your choice.

The left/right switch assemblies have a pin which fits into the stock bar. Some people grind off the pin and tape the new bar to keep the switch assembly from rotating while others prefer to drill a hole in the new bar. I prefer the later for a more positive engagement..

post #5 of 10 Old 04-03-2006, 08:56 PM
919 City Pilot

use compressed air on a blower tip....push it under the grip and it will come right off.......a lil hairspray going back on keeps it tight.

post #6 of 10 Old 04-03-2006, 10:23 PM
rider

I installed the LSL Sport Tourer Bars on my 05. I ordered them online from Spiegler. They measure 680 x 110 x 45. They also are available in the matte black finish. Also got the LSL bars ends to go with them.

They are about 1 1/2 inches wider than stock with about 30mm less pull back angle. I really like them.

Check their website at www.spieglerusa.com. They show all the styles available with a diagram showing dimensions.

I trying to borrow a brain from a 12 yr old so I can figure out how to post some photos of my bike.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-04-2006, 05:26 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Pegjumpflyer... I purposely omitted grip removal by compressed air, this technique works great but how many of us have air compressors?

s10hornet... Good additional handlebar information, it will be added to the master list.

post #8 of 10 Old 04-05-2006, 12:30 AM

who doesn't have an air compressor ?

any self respecting guy has at 40 gallon cambell hausfeld air compressor right ?

and a 800 square foot detached garage with a heated floor, insulated/drywalled, 100 amp dedicated service, plumbing and septic hooked up, phone line w/highspeed DSL and a computer for manuals on pdf format...

crap im braggin on my garage again, my wife thinks im retarded, I got a 1500 dollar 30 year old pickup and a 3 year old 30,000 dollar garage to park it in

I love my shop... was a lifetime dream realized 3 years ago...

anyways great tip on the grips... never tried that before, as far as bars go I am looking into renthal ultra lows, be nice to lower and shift forward the center of gravity a little. With aluminum bars would drillin a pilot hole not weaken them pretty severely? or not I am not an engineer just concerned about folding bars.

post #9 of 10 Old 04-05-2006, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonblue919
who doesn't have an air compressor ?

any self respecting guy has at 40 gallon cambell hausfeld air compressor right ?

and a 800 square foot detached garage with a heated floor, insulated/drywalled, 100 amp dedicated service, plumbing and septic hooked up, phone line w/highspeed DSL and a computer for manuals on pdf format...

crap im braggin on my garage again, my wife thinks im retarded, I got a 1500 dollar 30 year old pickup and a 3 year old 30,000 dollar garage to park it in

I love my shop... was a lifetime dream realized 3 years ago...

anyways great tip on the grips... never tried that before, as far as bars go I am looking into renthal ultra lows, be nice to lower and shift forward the center of gravity a little. With aluminum bars would drillin a pilot hole not weaken them pretty severely? or not I am not an engineer just concerned about folding bars.

typhoonblue919 what about some pics of your shop?
I'm a fanatic of xtreme garages too.

post #10 of 10 Old 04-05-2006, 09:36 AM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Hell, throw in pics of the wife nagging you about 'living in the garage' while your at it....

We know she does it!

I LOVE Tig Bitties!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode