This was my first crash - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 24 Old 08-28-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

This was my first crash

I was on my way home from work this morning, went to turn onto my road, and the gravel out of someones driveway had washed out. It was all across the road and I didnt see it in time. After I laid her down all I could do was sit there watching my baby sliding across the road on her side and listening to the metal on asphault.Luckily I was not going very fast so other than a little road rash on my arm and knee.(I was wearing a cortech riding jacket But the sleeve slide up my arm.)The only other thing that was hurt was my pride. My bike didnt get hurt that bad but it was bad enough. The beutiful Green tank got dented and rashed, my clutch cover was rashed, Bar weight and brake lever rashed, Like i said not bad but bad enough. So I guess If any of you out there has a green tank or other parts you would like to get rid of cheep, or any suggestions on fixing mine I'm all ears. My wife ran off with the camera memory card so as soon as I get it I'll post some pics. I've never posted any pics but I'll try it. No promises though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-28-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to tell you

I also notice the steering does'nt feel right. the handlebars are not straight when going down the road. The top of the tubes doesnt look like it is stright so I don't think it is just the handlebars. The only thing that hit was the bar weight, brake lever. The brake lever wasnt bent(just rashed). any suggestions on fixing this.would be greatly appreciated.

post #3 of 24 Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM
red dirt girl

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration BOTM Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 4

Glad to hear that the damage to both you and to the bike was minimal.
It sounds like it could have been much worse.
post #4 of 24 Old 08-28-2008, 03:06 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Man, sorry to hear that, glad you're basically ok. You'll get lots of advice on checking out your bike and putting it back in riding shape, good luck!

post #5 of 24 Old 08-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Sorry to hear about your little rash. Welcome to the 616 club.

post #6 of 24 Old 08-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Not too swift

Dang dude, sorry to hear about that. Here's someone parting out a green 919 now
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=14639

With all the rain we've had around here lately and the sketchy forecast, you had more nerve than me. My niner stayed garaged!

2003 Honda 919, Carbon Sato's, PCIII-USB planned asphalt gray
2007 Majestic Blue NISMO KC, 4x4, 6-speed, Gibson catback, Clarion DUZ385SAT
2007 Trek EX8-Custom parts build by me for me
1992 Nissan 240sx- SR20DET swap, HKS intake, exhaust, and SSQV, VLSD, S14 Silvia JDM seats(super comfy), Exedy clutch
post #7 of 24 Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Sorry to hear the bike got laid down, but glad your alright. If you think the bars are bent then its time to get new ones. There are OEM ones on ebay, or you could take the opportunity to get a set of renthals.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #8 of 24 Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

There are those of us that have crashed and the rest are about to. So you got your crash out of the way and the best news is you are ok! There are many excellent riding tips in the WT archives (search). I hope you get back on the road soon!

post #9 of 24 Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Al

You know,, the sound of a bike sliding down the road is one of those sounds you NEVER forget once you've heard,, and especially if it's yours. It makes you want to grind your teeth...

Sorry to hear you had an accident...!!!

post #10 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 AM
MAM Customs

Glad to hear you walked away from your first accident with only minor injury to yourself and the bike. Good luck getting it back together quickly.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. -Frank Sinatra
post #11 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 03:35 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Sorry about your lay down....gravel is some nasty stuff. Glad you are OK and good luck getting the bike back in shape

post #12 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 03:55 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Glad you are ok!

I'd check the bars first, then check to see if one or both of the fork tubes moved (slid) up or down with in your top triple by loosening the clamps to release any stress they may be under. You'll know right away if they moved any, because they will pop back into place once the clamps have been opened.

If its not the bars or the above I would get it checked out by a professional, you could have tweaked the frame (I doubt it though).

post #13 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 03:58 AM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Sorry about your lay down....gravel is some nasty stuff. Glad you are OK and good luck getting the bike back in shape
+1

post #14 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Dude I SOOOOOO know what you are going through. I had my first crash this year as well, and like you was very fortunate it was not more serious. But I did learn from the experience as I'm sure you will as well. That scraping sound is bad but it's even worse when the bike is laying there suddenly "dead" silent and laying there with it's headlight on like an open eyed corpse. (Shiver sfx). Good thing you were close to home and even better your wife didn't see you do it or you'd be parting with your bike rather then looking for parts. I've also got two front turn signals and OEM clutch and breaks levers if you are interested. Also if the rash is not that bad on your clutch cover I have found that Rustoleum dark metallic HAMMERD paint matches perfectly to OEM as long as you apply light coats to prevent the "hammered" appearance.

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #15 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Glad you are both in decent shape.

post #16 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Tesserarius

You can sight down your fork legs from the side to see if they are parallel, if not, put the wheel between your knees and tweak it back, if it won't move, loosen the clamps a little and try again!

post #17 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Oh man sorry to hear about your smash up but i'm glad that you and your ride are much better off than what could've happened

UT VIVANT ALII...SO OTHERS MAY LIVE
post #18 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 10:35 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Around here we got people selling their land for the sand and where there is sand, there are dump trucks. I'm not talking about all truck drivers so if there are any on the forum, it's not you, but these azzwipes like to leave spills where they race out onto the road. They race because they are paid by the load, more loads= more pay. Anyway, the state has written a new law stating that these sand companies are responsible for they sand or gravel they spill on the highways and the damages it might cause. If your state doesn't have this law, write your local rep or state senator to see what you can do.
The slicks in charge of the sand pits are getting better about clean up but I still slow down when I ride by.
Anyway, Glad you and your machine are basically good, now go chew out your inconsiderate neighbor for leaving their gravel all over the blacktop!

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #19 of 24 Old 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Not too swift

I'm not superstitious or anything, but I'm thinking twice about riding tomorrow. I read about your wreck just across town from me, then 2 hours later get a text about about a buddy of mine in Chattanooga who laid his R1 down this morning and is all rashed up.

Think I'm gonna go work down at the rescue station tomorrow instead! It always seems to be really quiet when I work shift down there with no calls so fingers are crossed.

1992 Nissan 240sx- SR20DET swap, HKS intake, exhaust, and SSQV, VLSD, S14 Silvia JDM seats(super comfy), Exedy clutch
post #20 of 24 Old 08-30-2008, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

I still havent had any luck attatching my pics. I think it probably my computer but I am still trying. Hey Spec 7 What stations do you work, I got a twin brother that is an EMT. Don't know if you would know him or not.

post #21 of 24 Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Not too swift

I'm assigned to station 1 over next to Taylor school, but do most of my work/training down at station 8 (HQ). That's where I'm headed now.

post #22 of 24 Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

I am not able to attach my pics for some reason, I thimk it may be my computer,But I will still try. Hey Fishfillet 300 I tried to pm you about the parts ,I dont know if you got it or not but I might be intrested in them. Let me know how much. Hey, Spec 7 What stations do you work, I got a twin brother that is an EMT I dont know if you would know him or not.

post #23 of 24 Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

I grew up in the Old Fort Area, I went to school at Taylors. Small world Huh.

post #24 of 24 Old 08-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Not too swift

Mission accomplished...........I worked another 8 hour shift at the volunteer fire and rescue HQ and yet again no emergencies in Bradley county TN while I was on duty.

maybe its coincidental, maybe its God putting more angels on duty because he knows I'm on duty and its just better all the way around if I don't try to rescue folks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode