This vs. that - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

This vs. that

ZRX vs. new Bandit

Vs. Z1000 and 919

Assuming the niner takes last place, Where does the old 'rex fit ?

Someone drop some numbers please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

what are you asking? top speed, acceleration, looks, handling, mod ability, general fun to ride?

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #3 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 01:37 AM
Discen

zrx: heavy dinosaur
Z1000: kawasaki
bandit: more ujm than naked
919: be harder to find a better balance

post #4 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 04:47 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

+1

post #5 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 05:44 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM 
Total Awards: 2

ZRX - Time machine, takes you back to the Eddie Lawson era - yeah its heavy, but, its gotta killer motor !
Bandit - Yeah, its kind of a UJM, but, whats wrong with that ! Those bikes served the industry well and got alot of people into the sport ! Bang fo your buck , its the best one out there !
Z1000 -Fun bike, but, the suspension sucks - unless you put alil bit of cash in it - I demoed one for a while and replaced the rear shock and built the forks to match each other with a Ohilins valve kit nad springs and that thing would rail ! And with a set of Akaripovic slip ons , it had to be one of the best sounding 4 cyclinders out there !
919- I know Ill be harrased, but, to me, they are soulless and not my style - But then again, if you like them, have at it !

post #6 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 05:50 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ohno View Post
919- I know Ill be harrased, but, to me, they are soulless and not my style - But then again, if you like them, have at it !
Harrassed? Maybe strung up and beaten!

Actually as a 919 owner, I almost can agree with you that it's a bit bland in stock form. That's why we mod them out to fit our own personalities, it makes a great blank slate. Mine has plenty of soul now, but it did take some bucks to make it that way.

I don't really have any experience with the other bikes in question, have read Ken's glowing reviews of his Bandit, which sounds like a great bike. Have always liked the looks of the classic ZRX, but have never ridden one. Same with the Z1000, kind of like the radical styling but have done no more than sit on one at the dealership.

Totally added nothing to the conversation I know, just trying to steer it back to the original subject after veering off into 919 defense.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I would think that based on displacement, they would fall
Bandit
rex
z-1000
9'er

in all motivational categories. age and tech not withstanding.

was considering a rex just before they stopped making them.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Official thread derailer

Awards Showcase
Donation BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post

Actually as a 919 owner, I almost can agree with you that it's a bit bland in stock form. That's why we mod them out to fit our own personalities, it makes a great blank slate. Mine has plenty of soul now, but it did take some bucks to make it that way.

+1

Proud member of Wristtwisters, where we drill things the right way.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 07:04 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

im an old fart by my childrens standards, but by God, the 919 is a hard bike to put down, for any reason. they were fairly inexpensive, fun as hell to ride, and upgradable. yeah, i'll defend them, since im a proud owner, thats why i dig this particular group of folks, we all think like minded.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I'm not dissin' the 9'er. I own one. Just wanted to see how the old rez stacks up.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Cornicen

I am a REX fan but then I own two of them. The wife has the 919 and I get very little time on it. The Z1000 I do not care for at all and the Bandit would be my 2nd choice. The bandit is up on TQ but down on HP and don't count it out on the backroads.
The 919 is nice to ride since it is 110 lbs lighter than the REX and don't run or handle bad but for all around fun I vote the REX yet that does not mean it is the better bike.
We all mod to our liking so get what you want and have fun with it. They all become toys anyway.
Later == Bobby

post #12 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

No experience with the Kawi's, so no opinion other than the styling which had me saying "uuuh ... well ... okay, I guess.

Did ride a stock '07 Bandit -- OMG, that motor! Of course, with 36% more displacement than the 919, it better have more oomph. Being counterbalanced, it's one of the smoothest inline 4's I've ridden in a while. Frankly, given the power and smoothness, it would make an excellent interstate armchair with a proper windscreen and saddlebags: considerably better than the 919.
Another thing it has a whole bunch more of than the 919 is weight, and I felt every ounce of it whenever I tried to get it to do something other than go hellaciously fast in a straight line. Every time I tried to get it to go around a corner it fought me, and anything other than mild acceleration from the apex was strictly out of the question -- despite the "updated chassis", any bravery with the throttle caused significant frame flex that was obvious in the seat moving in relation to the pegs and handlebars. At least it was predictable, if a bit scary. Another comparison is wheelbase -- the 919 feels shorter than its 57", while the Bandit feel longer than its 58". Maybe it's the overall balance of the setups, but the Suzuki had me worn out on a twisty road in a couple miles, while the 919 has yet to make me stop for any reason despite going considerably faster on a given stretch of road.

Keep in mind I have lots of experience on the track, and the feedback I get from The Suzuki tells me it would take considerable modification, lightening, and frame bracing to get it to do what I like to do.

For me, the Honda has it all over the Suzuki by a tremendous margin.

On the 919 being "soulless" -- too subjective for evaluation. To me, it's got plenty of character, and doesn't need endless tarting up to give it "soul". What it is and what it is capable of doing prove to me that despite its characterization as a parts bin bike, which isn't really the case as it actually shares very little past engine cases, some transmission components, and the usuals such as calipers and handlebar switches, it is a good looking and competent bike in it's own right.

And I still smile whenever I look at it.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #13 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Discen

This shows your ZRX1200 and bandit 1200. It also has the Yamaha FZ1. http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...rds/index.html

post #14 of 15 Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ok. Thanks youse guys.

post #15 of 15 Old 08-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Cornicen

The older Bandits (2000 and back) were capped up real tite and lean as can be. Jet kit and full pipe will get around 125 rwhp. They are fun and were a great deal for what they cost. Easy to big bore. Never be ashamed of having one.

ZRX1100 netted around 95 rwhp off the floor and with full pipe/ jet kit you will be up around 113 rwhp. There is a lot of mods you can do to these and since I have a 2000 black 1100 I should know.

ZRX1200 nets around 112 rwhp off the floor and with full pipe/jet kit you get 128 to 132 rwhp and 80 to 84 on the TQ. Mod it to death with a good aftermarket and a turbo 1200 will - well it will make you smile alot.

The 1200 will wear your ass out in corners because it is not exactly light but does handle well. The 1100 is more nimble in corners but that may be the difference in the front end rake from the 1200.
Both are easy to kit. The 1100 has cast sleeves and the 1200 is a plated cylinder.

The FZ would have been my choice if I could have gotten over the looks of it so the REX is what I have. The FZ will make some nice power but if any piston changes are done as in big bore the cases have to be split because the cylinders/upper case are 1 pc. That was more work than I wanted to go thru but other than looks I would never knok this bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode