This just dont sound right - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 11-06-2007, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

This just dont sound right

After a low speed spill from which i rode the bike away from i sent it off to the shop for repairs thinking about $700 should cover it , tell me what you guys think ,.... heres the full list of damage

Clutch cover
handle bars
plastic throtle thingy under the grip
also the grip
mirror
broken front brake lever also bent rear brake lever
foot peg busted off at the pin
also some scuffing on the rear footpeg mount but not bad at all

comes to a grand total of (drum roll please) and scroll down

$4500

This just dont seem right to me and someone (the insurance company) is geting shafted big time from this so called reputable bike shop , the list above is the total damage and nothing else is broken scuffed or bent at all.
Now in your expert opinions does that sound just a tad excessive or am i just so out of touch with the cost of repairs these days...... this is my first accident ever so what would i know!!!!!!!
So what do you guys think???????

Go HARD or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 02:17 AM
Milites Gregarius

Based on that I would ask the insurance company if they could mail you a check reflecting the estimate from the shop. From there you could pocket at least $3500 and order the parts yourself, even get upgrades. However if this was your fault, and your insurance, you may think about how it would effect your premiums regardless of who is doing the work.

post #3 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 AM
my2ndhornet

m8, that sounds a bit excessive alright - I know the nz$ has a bit of a hammering, but it's not that bad. You can buy a year old 9er for just on double that figure - well - I did anyway and I'm just across the ditch!

Candy Red
2005-CB900F
post #4 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

My 9er is only 2 months old and cost me $9995 so these repairs will come to almost half of a new bike price ...... yep its really suspect considering the small amount of damage

Go HARD or go home
post #5 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

You can go to RonAyers.com and price all the parts yourself, or have the dealer provide the parts cost. I think you'll find the labor is just a tad bit over the top in this estimate if that is a true list of parts needing replaced.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 05:32 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

get a copy of the estimate.

Something is missing.

You do know if this is an insurance job, anything scuffed is replaced with a new OEM part. They do not do repair work, they do replacement work.

The good news is your bike comes back in perfect shape.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
get a copy of the estimate.

Something is missing.

You do know if this is an insurance job, anything scuffed is replaced with a new OEM part. They do not do repair work, they do replacement work.

The good news is your bike comes back in perfect shape.
I'd do the repairs myself and pocket the money. They seem pretty straight forward.

BTW
That quote is absurd

post #8 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

That quote is way over the top. Get the insurance company to cover the cost, and pocket the extra after you replace the parts yourself. Everything you listed would take less than a day to replace for a really green mechanic.

-Joe
post #9 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Someone needs to tell the shop that it's a 919, not a CBR1000. It didn't come with a full set of fairings. Sheesh.

I'd tell them you want the complete parts list and pricing on each item, including the labor. Everthing you listed has a better aftermarket part for it which you could buy for less money and put them on yourself. You'd have a lot of help here with that if you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself.

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #10 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Service and parts departments are how stealerships make thier money.

post #11 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

And if you have a lean on the bike, be prepared to prove it was repaired to new condition.....

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #12 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

After being on the ph with the shop this morning quizing them about the repairs needed they are saying the tank has chips in the paint work ( i sure didnt see any) and the cowling thingy that incorporates the tail light etc is scuffed and the plastic cover below the tank on the left side is also broken, and the heat sheild on the right side can is also scuffed.... I looked over the bike two times before i took it in and none of these things were damaged at all, but seem to be now , My bigest prob is that i cant get over there during the week as my G/F uses the car for work and their workshop is closed on the weekends........ either way i still have a $1000 excess on the claim to pay even if the damage had only come to $1200 ........ seems the claim has been plumped up with some bogus damage to make it a real easy earner for the shop....... they also said the tank was going to be sent to hamilton city to get painted.... thats hundreds of miles away..... what they dont have any paint n panel shops in palmerston who can do the job?????? Yep it seems to me there pulling a swifty with this one because even with the extra damage they are claiming $4500 still seem very steep. But i dont want to cause waves between the shop and insurance company as it may hold up geting the job done and me geting back out on the road for summer so its prob best i say nothing and let them get on with it ...... but its things like this that force our insurance premiums through the roof Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Go HARD or go home
post #13 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearwheel View Post
seems the claim has been plumped up with some bogus damage to make it a real easy earner for the shop ..............Yep it seems to me there pulling a swifty with this one because even with the extra damage they are claiming $4500 still seem very steep. ...... but its things like this that force our insurance premiums through the roof Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Your exactly right. dealer did the same thing with my bike. But here is what you can do. Tell the dealer you want all the parts that they replace. (they are required by law to return old parts if you request them) then you can sell them here or on ebay and make some extra cash for mods

post #14 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 07:38 PM
BANNED!

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I wouldnt have that dealer do the work for that price...

Ask the Ins company for the check and say you will be responsible for repairs... then do it all yourself and pocket some cash and get some upgraded trick parts.

I LOVE Tig Bitties!
post #15 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest View Post
I wouldnt have that dealer do the work for that price...

Ask the Ins company for the check and say you will be responsible for repairs... then do it all yourself and pocket some cash and get some upgraded trick parts.
+1

Or, do a few minutes of work and order your own parts and have a smaller local shop do it for you, if you're not so mechanically inclined. Have the insurance company verify the post work bike and you're good to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode