this is what i want - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

this is what i want

i think i am gonna build me one of these here... handling,looks,and its still got its cojones...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 06:06 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Yep, I want one too, but using an '08 GSXR750. Been thinking about it a loooong time. I need more money though. Kinda hard to find right now.

Did you read the article?

'02 Honda 919 - She's the only one for me!

post #3 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugs View Post
Yep, I want one too, but using an '08 GSXR750. Been thinking about it a loooong time. I need more money though. Kinda hard to find right now.

Did you read the article?
yeah i got the magazine in the bedroom... funny you mention the gizzer750 i had a co-worker who crashed a gixxer into a fence at work.. long story its posted here somewhere.. another coworker bought the wreck and is gonna fix it.. i am trying to talk him into nakedfying it.. seeing as it allready has the plastics forcably removed... it is structurally sound and we have made a few trips around the block on it.... quick quick quick... amazing the difference a few pounds of plastic makes...please let me know how your project goes.. i might buy my stolen/recovered cbr1000 back from state farm and do it myself..

post #4 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 06:17 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

There's an article floating around the internet somewhere about a CBR1000 that was Nakedized. I even posted it here once I think, been a couple years. I wonder if I can find it again.

Don't hold your breath on this project I want to do, its only in my mind right now.

post #5 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Here's one:

If I remember correctly, the builder / owner wished it had more midrange power. Still .....

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #6 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

like a wise ole man said (i think it was you) "no matter how much power it has you get used to it".... lol....

the little demon inside me always screams more more more....

i did find a turbo kit for the 919.. says 140 to the ground and costs 2200.00 to the front door...

post #7 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Sike

My ZX10 has superbike bars. I thought at first I would remove the plastics, but was so happy with the bike after the first "stage" that I never did. I also have +3 rear sprocket. She put down 169.2 rwhp and 82 ft/lbs. I have ridden a lot of bikes, and I haven't ridden one that is more fun to me. Since the initial building I have also replaced the suspension and upgraded the brakes. The only problem, and one of the reasons I have the 919 is that the superbike bars really messed up the turning radius, making parking lots a real hassle. Plus the fact it has about a 75-80 mile range when riding hard......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sato4.jpg (48.2 KB, 28 views)

post #8 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I think I should go with a naked RC. There is no shortage of torque...

post #9 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I think my next bike is going to be a 1000RR and it will probably become naked at some point in its life. Down here is GA a lot of people underestimate naked bikes and their riders.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #10 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zookmor View Post
I think my next bike is going to be a 1000RR and it will probably become naked at some point in its life. Down here is GA a lot of people underestimate naked bikes and their riders.
yeah they do that here also.. i have a lotta fun with the kiddies on their 600's....

they can't figgure how the old man on the old bike hands them their a$$'s...
but they look at the back tire and the pegs when its parked and figgure out i'm
1. a better rider than most of them
2. probably insane..

post #11 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 09:24 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Hey Rob, those are the pictures of the bike I'm talking about, do you have the article stashed somewhere?

post #12 of 40 Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Hey Rob, those are the pictures of the bike I'm talking about, do you have the article stashed somewhere?
Darnit, I'm still looking for it -- the photos ended up in my photobucket album, but the article is buried somewhere in my old archives. I'll post a link as soon as I find it.

Rob

post #13 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
i did find a turbo kit for the 919.. says 140 to the ground and costs 2200.00 to the front door...
post a link?

post #14 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

post #15 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Tirone??

I am really loving that Naked Rob Posted....

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #16 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 11:07 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Nice find Barton!! A turbo 919 would be a hell of a lot of fun! No wonder you have that smiling devil as your avatar!

post #17 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 11:08 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Sike's bike loks a whole lot better than that R1 abomination.

The CBR streetfighter that Rob posted looks much bettter than the R1 also. 599 headlight? I just wonder what the other side of the CBR looks like. The coolant resivoir is over there. Maybe he just did awway with it.

post #18 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Sike's bike loks a whole lot better than that R1 abomination.

The CBR streetfighter that Rob posted looks much bettter than the R1 also. 599 headlight? I just wonder what the other side of the CBR looks like. The coolant resivoir is over there. Maybe he just did awway with it.
i never said nothing bout looks... its ugly as soap.. but like some ugly women the performance makes up for the lack of plastic

post #19 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Nice find Barton!! A turbo 919 would be a hell of a lot of fun! No wonder you have that smiling devil as your avatar!
actually that is a close resemblance of my actuall appearance.. except i don't have the red skin or horns....................................yet

post #20 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 03:17 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Barton,
sit out in the sun, the red skin is a natural, and the horns, maybe they are somewhere else? maybe?
THREADJACK

post #21 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

The R1 and RR both look very tidy.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #22 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 05:48 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Finally! Found the original thread for the CBR.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=8043

And the link to the story.

http://www.2wf.com/content/view/32/28/

post #23 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

thanks bud.... great read.. tells of the snags nsuch... now i gotta see if honey bunny will let me...

post #24 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Tirone

Ya know, these fairing-removed sport bikes do make really cool and very fast nakeds. Except... you still have to deal with that four cylinder high rpm powerband. Peak hp is up around 12,000 or more and peak torque is near 9500. That's great on the track, but not really that usable (or fun) on the street. Well, it is fun, but only in short bursts. It's one of the things I like so much about the niner: tuned for torque and a broad spread of power. So why can't the factories take their high-end engines and chassis and simply broaden the powerband, lowering the peak hp and torque down to under 10,000 rpm? Just cause I don't want to ride around at a zillion rpm in order to make enough power to get out of my own way doesn't mean I don't want or appreciate a solid, responsive frame and high-end suspension. Oh, and light weight is always a good thing. Just cause it's not a race bike doesn't mean I'm ok with it weighing 500 pounds.

RC 51 with fairing components removed and replaced with a fly screen and front-mounted radiator, anyone? Got that amazing powerband and all under 10,000 revs.

Just sayin', is all.

post #25 of 40 Old 11-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton919 View Post
Ya know, these fairing-removed sport bikes do make really cool and very fast nakeds. Except... you still have to deal with that four cylinder high rpm powerband. Peak hp is up around 12,000 or more and peak torque is near 9500. That's great on the track, but not really that usable (or fun) on the street. Well, it is fun, but only in short bursts. It's one of the things I like so much about the niner: tuned for torque and a broad spread of power. So why can't the factories take their high-end engines and chassis and simply broaden the powerband, lowering the peak hp and torque down to under 10,000 rpm? Just cause I don't want to ride around at a zillion rpm in order to make enough power to get out of my own way doesn't mean I don't want or appreciate a solid, responsive frame and high-end suspension. Oh, and light weight is always a good thing. Just cause it's not a race bike doesn't mean I'm ok with it weighing 500 pounds.

RC 51 with fairing components removed and replaced with a fly screen and front-mounted radiator, anyone? Got that amazing powerband and all under 10,000 revs.

Just sayin', is all.
I have heard a lot of people say what you are saying, but usually it means that they haven't looked at the dyno graph of a modern literbike. My bike puts out 75-81 ft/lbs of torque over about a 4000 rpm spread, and is making more hp by about 7,000 rpm than my 919 can make at peak. My dyno graph is in papers in the storage, or I would be exact with the numbers. But, bottom line is that you (and many others) are buying a story people are selling (mostly v-twin riders). Duc guys will say the 1098 has so much more torque, but the dyno usually shows about 3-4 more ft/lbs (which isn't that noticable). What is noticable is the 20 or so hp they are down on the I-4's.

So, a well tuned literbike really doesn't have a place in which the power isn't strong. It is more like strong, super strong, mind bending....

post #26 of 40 Old 11-08-2008, 01:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Norton, you have described a KTM Super Duke R.

Anyone who's ever ridden a ZX10 knows exactly what Sike is talking about. For me tho, it's too much of a good thing. You can never relax. You can't let your guard down for one second. After about 20 minutes of sliding around, I was ready to get off of the thing.

post #27 of 40 Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Norton, you have described a KTM Super Duke R.

Anyone who's ever ridden a ZX10 knows exactly what Sike is talking about. For me tho, it's too much of a good thing. You can never relax. You can't let your guard down for one second. After about 20 minutes of sliding around, I was ready to get off of the thing.
It is kind of funny what you said. This fall I did a trackday on my Shiver (just before it died for the last time....) and had a great time. Afterward, I realized that part of the great time was being able to "relax" a little. I have a great time during trackdays on the 10, but I'm left spent and horribly sore (arthitis doesn't go with that activity well). So, I'm planning on taking the 919 to at least one trackday this next year, maybe more. What has been the experience of the folks here with the 919 on the track???

Thanks, Steve

Also, I agree that the Super Duke is an amazing bike to ride.

post #28 of 40 Old 11-08-2008, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i agree with sike on the power of the litre bikes.. i hadda cbr1000 07 before some a$$head stole it and the power was wow.. omg.... are your kidding... i'm going to jail!!!!.... i am just kicking the idea around on having a toy.. a fast toy with lots and lots of power... i miss power wheelies at 110 shifting from 2nd to 3rd.. but and this is a big but.. i love my 919... maybe i will do the turbo... we will see... i have a lot more butt to kiss around this house before she lets me do anything....

post #29 of 40 Old 11-08-2008, 09:39 AM
Sike

Quote:
i agree with sike on the power of the litre bikes.. i hadda cbr1000 07 before some a$$head stole it and the power was wow.. omg.... are your kidding... i'm going to jail!!!!.... i am just kicking the idea around on having a toy.. a fast toy with lots and lots of power... i miss power wheelies at 110 shifting from 2nd to 3rd.. but and this is a big but.. i love my 919... maybe i will do the turbo... we will see... i have a lot more butt to kiss around this house before she lets me do anything....
Any chance you could kiss something enough to get two bikes??? Worked for me

The more I ride my 919 the more I'm loving this bike. However, like you, I have an illness for an occasional fix of the extreme. Have you ridden a 919 with turbo???

Good Luck, Steve

post #30 of 40 Old 11-08-2008, 09:39 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Yeah, this is why I want to do this with the GSXR 750. Not quite the beast that the literbikes are. I really wish we had more 750's to choose from, but oh well.

post #31 of 40 Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Any chance you could kiss something enough to get two bikes??? Worked for me

The more I ride my 919 the more I'm loving this bike. However, like you, I have an illness for an occasional fix of the extreme. Have you ridden a 919 with turbo???

Good Luck, Steve
nope... noone here has a turbo to my knowledge.. saw a couple halfa$$ videos on youtube... basically tho the 919 is perfect for turbo.. low compression, low lift/duration cams, etc... it is said the turbo's can make cornering "interesting"...

post #32 of 40 Old 11-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Sike

Quote:
Yeah, this is why I want to do this with the GSXR 750. Not quite the beast that the literbikes are. I really wish we had more 750's to choose from, but oh well.
I think that the 750 sportbike is the ultimate bike for going fast, for 99.9% of us. It takes way more skill than I have to truly push a literbike toward its limit. I would have done the conversion on a GSXR 750, but the local shop wasn't getting into it with me, where as the Kawi shop was totally excited to give it a shot. The Suzuki shop told me it would be bastardizing the bike, so they ended up loosing out on a bike sell, an amazing amount of parts sold, and a lot of shop time. The Kawi shop hasn't minded picking up the slack. But, in the end, I think I would have only seen the 750 advantage on the trackdays, and would have lost out on the adrenaline rush of the literbike day-to-day.

Good luck, whatever route you choose. Also, the Speigler kit came with everything and made it really easy.

Later, Steve

post #33 of 40 Old 11-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Man this is very interesting! I just sent them an email asking for pictures of the fitted 919. I've been wondering for quite some time now what bike I might like to try out next and have not really been able to come up with an answer. If I thought we'd be getting the new CB1000F then I think I'd have my answer. I just love riding my 9'r and this turbo would really make it exciting.

post #34 of 40 Old 11-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Speed Lover

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Well I already got a response back from them. Here it is.

Hi Jim, thanks for the note.

We are still getting the jigs and fixtures completed, and final pricing from the powder coaters and ceramic coater. Also, we are redesigning the battery tray to make it nicer looking and easier to produce. Hopefully, we'll get parts back Monday and get the development bike put back together and take some good pictures for the website.

We've only developed the Stage 1 kit for now, have been working on other projects also. Stage 2 will be more expensive and not as clean-looking, so right now we're concentrating on the base kit. Also, I'm working with the ECU manufacturer and turbo supplier to get their wholesale prices down a bit more, which will make it more affordable for our customers.

As for pictures, from 20 ft, the bike looks like a stock 919. Also, there won't be much modification - you take out the stock airbox and bolt the kit on. The only thing that will need modification is the left muffler, and I have a few spares in case people want to buy a modified one and keep their old one.

I'll let you know, thanks.

- Bill

post #35 of 40 Old 11-08-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

hmmmmm very very interwestinggg.... mwahhaahahahaa

post #36 of 40 Old 11-09-2008, 07:56 PM

i like the looks of both the r1 (which i re-read about in the mag constantly) and the cb1000... whoever did that honda conversion did a hell of a job. i'm still trying to decide if my next project should be a track bike build, a naked sportbike conversion, or just dump all my loose change into my 919. sigh... choices choices...

post #37 of 40 Old 11-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Here is one sweet one http://www.customfighters.com/forums...15&postcount=5

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #38 of 40 Old 11-10-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
nice!! but the headlight thingie is kinda sorta... ghei

post #39 of 40 Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

My next bike is going to be a naked cbr1000rr probably look similar to the one Rob posted on page one.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #40 of 40 Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideajones View Post
One thing I hate about a lot of streetfighters that are done is the whole "theme" thing they tend to do. Why can't they just do a nice clean conversion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode