3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x
  • 1 Post By Quadiak
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Thinking of a new (to me) bike.

My 919 is going to require more work than it is worth, has a salvage title, and is halfway across the country. As much as I love it, I think it's time to move on (upgrade). I love torque, versatility, good handling, reliability, and the ability to ride all day without hating life. I'm a couple months out, at least, from getting serious, but I want to start looking at my options. I've got my eye on the Tuono, as there are a couple 07-08 models around the area for less than $5k. Triumph Speed Triple in the same age range is also on the list, but a buddy of mine has one and I'm not sure I like the way it rides. What else is out there that compares?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 04:46 PM
919 Rider

"love torque, versatility, good handling, reliability, and the ability to ride all day without hating life" sounds like you should keep the 919. 😉

post #3 of 15 Old 08-17-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
"love torque, versatility, good handling, reliability, and the ability to ride all day without hating life" sounds like you should keep the 919. 😉
Keeping the 919 isn't really an option.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 05:14 AM
Tesserarius

Move on. You'll never regret .

Wonder why the Tuonos are going for $1000-$2000 less than a comparable KTM 990 Super Duke?

What's your price range?

There are tons of really good used bikes out there. I don't know where you're from jrj, but around here, if you wait until the first frost, you'll get a killer deal. I've don't that several times.

post #5 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 08:32 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Join forums for the bikes you are interested in (AF1 for the Tuono) if you haven't already. Probably obvious, but I think that's your best bet for learning the ins and outs of each. Plus you may luck upon a good deal in their classifieds.

I'm personally biased towards the Tuono. It puts a grin on my face every time I crack the throttle; the twin definitely has a different character than the inline on the 9'er. I had a few things to sort on it when I first bought it (known issues, easy fixes), but have not had an issue since. Most things will have been sorted by now; mine just hadn't been ridden much. Documented in the 'All things ToeOhNo' thread I think.

From what I've heard, the SD would be similar. Hopefully you can try each bike you are considering and see what suits you best.

Edit:. Here's the thread I mentioned; it got renamed again...lol

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #6 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
Move on. You'll never regret .

Wonder why the Tuonos are going for $1000-$2000 less than a comparable KTM 990 Super Duke?

What's your price range?

There are tons of really good used bikes out there. I don't know where you're from jrj, but around here, if you wait until the first frost, you'll get a killer deal. I've don't that several times.
I think I only saw 2 Super Dukes within 200 miles of me for sale (there are 3 Tuono 1000's within 100 miles or so), but I can't recall what the asking price was. They might be asking more because they aren't as common. If I come across one close enough for the right price, it's also on my list. I'm planning on a budget around $5k. This is all tentative at the moment. Divorce has ruined my finances. For the same reason, I'm anticipating it'll be the middle of October before I can actually get serious. I'm in WA state, so I hope the coming rainy season has the same effect on prices as winter does elsewhere.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Thanks for the input and the link, Superdog. I plan on reading that thread thoroughly. I've noticed, over the years, several 9'er owners have moved on to a Tuono and loved it. That's one of the reasons it's high on my list.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Tesserarius

jrj, I got knocked on my ass 20 years ago. No fun. But she couldn't take my ability to earn an income, save and invest. I'm doing quite well now days, a lot better than she. Success is the best revenge.

I like Super Dukes so well, I bought a spare. This one gets looked at more than ridden.

You'll find a nice bike for $5,000.

My new requirement for a used motorcycle is they have to be narrow, with a lot of leg room. I recently bought a 13 Duc 848 Streetfighter, which is pretty much the Italian version of the KTM. I can ride either one a long time.

I love used motorcycles. They're such a great value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2024.jpg (236.0 KB, 9 views)
jrj likes this.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-19-2018, 09:52 AM
Milites Gregarius

I just looked up some tuono's here locally. I didn't realize they were 170 hp. Between that and a bmw k1200r probably for my next naked.

Unless I hit the lottery. Then its definitely a bmw s1000r 😉
ewmin3m likes this.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-22-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadiak View Post
I just looked up some tuono's here locally. I didn't realize they were 170 hp. Between that and a bmw k1200r probably for my next naked.

If I hit the Lotto, it would be a 1290 Super Duke R...

I stopped by the Honda dealer just for fun today. They won't get the new CB1000R until Feb, but they were willing to cut me a deal on a leftover CB1000R. Not interested, even if I had the $8k for a new bike. Found a KTM dealer just down the road from me. Makes a stronger case for a 990 Super Duke...

post #11 of 15 Old 08-23-2018, 04:53 PM
Centurion

Garage
The 9er was my dream bike as a kid (which I now own)

Growing up, getting a job etc, my new modern dream bike is the bmw s1000r...
Great all-round bikes they are imo with 165bhp and 205kg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadiak View Post

post #12 of 15 Old 08-24-2018, 10:19 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I vote for the Duke or the Tuono - can't go wrong with either, IMO.

If you get the T, get a 2009 or later, as the previous gen had issues with the stator that can be bothersome. It's fixable, but avoidable by getting the latter years.

Also, 2011 T's and up have the v4 engine, so more HP. The Gen2's (2007-2010) only have about 135 to the wheel. Still a lot of fun ;-)

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #13 of 15 Old 08-27-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
I vote for the Duke or the Tuono - can't go wrong with either, IMO.

If you get the T, get a 2009 or later, as the previous gen had issues with the stator that can be bothersome. It's fixable, but avoidable by getting the latter years.

Also, 2011 T's and up have the v4 engine, so more HP. The Gen2's (2007-2010) only have about 135 to the wheel. Still a lot of fun ;-)
It seems that Dukes and Tuonos are the only readily available options in my area. I've seen 1 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 for sale (asking a bit more than I think I'll be able to spend), 1 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 and a Monster 1200 (both a tad rich for my blood). Plenty of Speed Triples and Jap nakeds around, but they just don't do anything for me.

The more I think about it and the more I look, the more I like the Super Duke 990. I really wanted to get excited about a Tuono, but it just isn't grabbing me. Test rides are in order, but still a ways off...

post #14 of 15 Old 08-27-2018, 02:23 AM
919 Rider

Damn hard choice, both awesome bikes. Definitely test ride them.
g00gl3it likes this.

post #15 of 15 Old 08-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj View Post
It seems that Dukes and Tuonos are the only readily available options in my area. I've seen 1 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 for sale (asking a bit more than I think I'll be able to spend), 1 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 and a Monster 1200 (both a tad rich for my blood). Plenty of Speed Triples and Jap nakeds around, but they just don't do anything for me.

The more I think about it and the more I look, the more I like the Super Duke 990. I really wanted to get excited about a Tuono, but it just isn't grabbing me. Test rides are in order, but still a ways off...
Won't disagree with you there. The Duke has a very aggressive look.

My opinion? Check insurance rates on both. The T was almost a GRAND less than the CB1000R. No brainer for me, I pay a whopping $200 a YEAR for full coverage on the T, with towing and $5k of accessory coverage. No Dukes in my areas so I didn't check coverage but I think it would be higher.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode