4Likes
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x
  • 2 Post By Ditch
  • 1 Post By Sniper-x

post #1 of 40 Old 02-11-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thinking about a 919

Hello
I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 2004 919 as a second bike mainly to use as a fun commuter. I've come across a couple for sale around me - one with 21k miles for $2500 and one with 2600miles on it for $3500.

Are those fair prices? and would the 919 be a good commuter? I'd add heated grips and possibly a windshield that doesnt make it look too nerdy-like.

thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Tesserarius

I wouldn't have a Uranium, reguardless of price. Other than that it would probably come down to condition. I like buy used bikes that are as close to original as possible.

Nerdy is in the eye of the beholder.

What is your primary motorcycle?

post #3 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 02:31 AM
Pilus Posterior

That's right in the price range. They seem to be able to handle lots of mines, some get to 100K+ and still run fine.

There's not really a lot of known bad things about the 919, pretty much a good solid Honda.

It's a bonus if you get the PCIII computer or an aftermarket seat, shock, etc... seems like $3,200 is about the going rate for one in good condition.

post #4 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper-x View Post
I wouldn't have a Uranium, reguardless of price. Other than that it would probably come down to condition. I like buy used bikes that are as close to original as possible.

Nerdy is in the eye of the beholder.

What is your primary motorcycle?
Thank you - one of them actually is that green / uranium color !! Not my preference either and thats the one that is 21k miles @ $2500. Wonder if I can ask for lower price. Its also at a dealership though so not sure how much wiggle room they'd do.

My primary bike is a 2013 bmw S1000RR.

post #5 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
That's right in the price range. They seem to be able to handle lots of mines, some get to 100K+ and still run fine.

There's not really a lot of known bad things about the 919, pretty much a good solid Honda.

It's a bonus if you get the PCIII computer or an aftermarket seat, shock, etc... seems like $3,200 is about the going rate for one in good condition.
great thank you - thats what I'm liking about it. Seems to be a great all arounder. Just trying to gauge what it'd be like at highway speeds - 85mph as far as wind goes. (without a windscreen)

post #6 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 07:12 AM
Tesserarius

S1000RR. Ouch.

I like this even better than the 919 I had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1895.jpg (294.3 KB, 21 views)
HeliMech likes this.

post #7 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 AM
Milites Gregarius

So much that you're house training it!

post #8 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

That is a nice Katoom

post #9 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 02:39 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooneej View Post
great thank you - thats what I'm liking about it. Seems to be a great all arounder. Just trying to gauge what it'd be like at highway speeds - 85mph as far as wind goes. (without a windscreen)
I guess the wind is something you get used to. My only other bike is a CB700S and it has the micro faring. When you pass up big rig / box trucks on the freeway, you can feel it. When you go thru the mountains in the evening, you can tell the temp and wind difference in rolling hills, but it's nothing bad.

I can't compare it because I haven't ridden anything else.

it's not really something I hear a lot of people complain about.

post #10 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Milites Gregarius

How many miles will you be doing on the highway on your commute? Under 30 minutes at 85mph on the highway without a screen is fine. When I commute, I find the stop and go traffic where Iím not sure about filtering (mainly if I cant see enough of the road around me for police - silly America apart from California) is the worst/most tiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #11 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by steev View Post
How many miles will you be doing on the highway on your commute? Under 30 minutes at 85mph on the highway without a screen is fine. When I commute, I find the stop and go traffic where Iím not sure about filtering (mainly if I cant see enough of the road around me for police - silly America apart from California) is the worst/most tiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My commute is 47 miles each way - 60% of it is 65-85mph highway (route 55 south jersey) the rest is rt 130 which is stoplight highway type. A good amount of stacked up traffic there. Motorcycle is perfect for slicing through that staggered traffic pattern

post #12 of 40 Old 02-12-2018, 07:42 PM
Tesserarius

The thing about those little fairings is they make a lot of noise. They do take some wind off your chest, tho.

post #13 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
The thing about those little fairings is they make a lot of noise. They do take some wind off your chest, tho.
If I do get a 919 for a decent price I'd consider a windscreen like this
Plexifairing 3? and Plexistar 2? for Metric Bikes

post #14 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 04:37 AM
919 Rider

That Plexi windscreen looks big enough to do the job. I think the height is the key. I wanted to reduce the wind blast on my 919 so installed a OEM windscreen. It took all the wind from my chest but put it onto my helmet. I do like the look of the smoke OEM windscreen and it does a good job so I'm keeping it on. I brought a new quiet helmet and wear earplugs.
Those Plexi windscreens look taller than the OEM windscreen so shouldn't put the wind blast onto your helmet, as long as your not freakishly tall.

post #15 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 06:47 AM
McTavish

Quote:
My commute is 47 miles each way - 60% of it is 65-85mph highway (route 55 south jersey) the rest is rt 130 which is stoplight highway type. A good amount of stacked up traffic there. Motorcycle is perfect for slicing through that staggered traffic pattern
Above is a kids stuff ride totally naked, but not with stock bars.
Something like Renthal ULs would be obligatory unless you want to be a sail.

post #16 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 07:09 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Above is a kids stuff ride totally naked, but not with stock bars.
Something like Renthal ULs would be obligatory unless you want to be a sail.
How does changing the bars makes that much difference?

I see people changing them all the time and I even thought about changed to the rare adjustable ones from the 700S as I heard they work great.

post #17 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 07:19 AM
The Instigator

Quote:
S1000RR. Ouch.

I like this even better than the 919 I had.
Yes, we all know your KTM is superior to the 919 in every conceivable way and there's no reason for anyone to ever buy an 919 ever again.

@pooneej:

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...9-a-45746.html
HeliMech and ewmin3m like this.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #18 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

thanks for this link - making me itch even more to spend on this as a 2nd bike

So the green one that is a dealer wont budge on the $2500 price (21k miles). Neither will the private sale one that has 2600 miles - he's firm at $3500.
Theres another private sale black (or grey hard to tell with the lo res pics he sent) one that has 34k miles and may consider $1800 for it. He said it has new dunlop Q3s on it and overall good condition with a small dent in the tank.

post #19 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 01:34 PM
919 Rider

If it were me I'd go for the bike with low miles. But if your just after a knock around fun bike you can ride to work the cheap one would do the job. I'd go for the one with low miles and spend some more cash setting the bike up to suit. How much have you got to spend in total? Are those bikes your looking at stock? Would you spend money on suspension and power commander?

post #20 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
If it were me I'd go for the bike with low miles. But if your just after a knock around fun bike you can ride to work the cheap one would do the job. I'd go for the one with low miles and spend some more cash setting the bike up to suit. How much have you got to spend in total? Are those bikes your looking at stock? Would you spend money on suspension and power commander?
I wanted to stay under $3k. That low mileage one would be ideal I know. The one at the dealer with 21k miles looks to have yoshi cans on it and bar end mirrors. The higher mileage one is totally stock. Wasnt going to spend any money on mods since this was going to be a fun commuter kick around type bike while the S1000RR sees harder rides and occasional track.
But - I can never leave anything stock so who knows

post #21 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 02:22 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
I wanted to stay under $3k. That low mileage one would be ideal I know. The one at the dealer with 21k miles looks to have yoshi cans on it and bar end mirrors. The higher mileage one is totally stock. Wasnt going to spend any money on mods since this was going to be a fun commuter kick around type bike while the S1000RR sees harder rides and occasional track.
But - I can never leave anything stock so who knows
I've been itching to do the suspension mods to mine since I bought it. I wanted the more adjustable forks, rear shock, get some fresh tires and see how she does, but I haven't.

Kinda funny, I just hit the 5 year mark on mine and she's still bone stock.

post #22 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 02:31 PM
919 Rider

Changing your 919 suspension will make the bike more compliant and comfortable. The bike with stock suspension is setup up for riding two up, and to carry a pair of ridiculously heavy stock exhaust cans!
I absolutely love the change a decent rear shock and a proper set of fork springs made to my bike. Squat is perfect now. No more jolting, jarring, bouncing.

post #23 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 05:13 PM
McTavish

Quote:

I see people changing them all the time and I even thought about changed to the rare adjustable ones from the 700S as I heard they work great.
In the case of the ULs, the hands end up being more forward and lower, so one ends up leaned over a bit.
Just enough and such that the wind force holds your slightly angled body up instead of blowing your upright back.

post #24 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well the green one looks to be sold / Sale Pending status so I can forget that one

and heres a curveball - a co worker is selling his 2002 bmw r1150r for $3k but seems negotiable. It does have 43k miles on it though and needs a little bit of minor bits (one heated grip isnt working)/.

also browsed a Moto Guzzi Breza 1100 for $4k which is out of budget but looks super nice

None of those have the peace of mind a 919 would give though Im guessing.

post #25 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 PM
919 Rider

Get the 919 with low miles on it. You'll probably not have to spent much on maintaining it for a while. All the other high milage bikes you're looking at will probably need money spent on them sooner especially if you start adding miles commuting regular. It's probably the one that will hold its value longer too.

post #26 of 40 Old 02-13-2018, 09:21 PM
The Instigator

Quote:

I do it because the frequency of the engine doesn't seem to match the weight of the stock bars. So if you just throw a renthal on you lose just over 2 pounds, they look better and vibrate less.

And Pooneej please don't get the BMW without riding both first! Very, very different bikes.

2007 919
2003 CBR1100XX
post #27 of 40 Old 02-14-2018, 06:00 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
In the case of the ULs, the hands end up being more forward and lower, so one ends up leaned over a bit.
Just enough and such that the wind force holds your slightly angled body up instead of blowing your upright back.
I tend to ride that way anyways. I know the 919 is a "standard" and has a more upright position, but I tend to be be more forward as I'm a little bit aggressive, but I like the option to be more relaxed.

post #28 of 40 Old 02-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Tesserarius

I won't buy a used car, or truck, or jeep, but I love used motorcycles.

There are tons of really good choices when it comes to used motorcycles. If straight line, commuting type riding is your thing, it's hard to beat a gen 5 Interceptor. If I have a destination that I have to get to asap, I'll take my old Interceptor every time.

If you can find a 98 or 99 900RR, those are almost as comfortable as an Interceptor. Sometimes, you just feel like having a fairing in front of you.

Can never fault anyone for buying a 919, either. Baffelectomisize the stock mufflers, or do any dual aftermarket cans. Nothing sounds better.

post #29 of 40 Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 AM
919 Rider

My stock handlebars don't have bad vibes. They have feedback!

post #30 of 40 Old 02-15-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:

There are tons of really good choices when it comes to used motorcycles. If straight line, commuting type riding is your thing, it's hard to beat a gen 5 Interceptor. If I have a destination that I have to get to asap, I'll take my old Interceptor every time.

If you can find a 98 or 99 900RR, those are almost as comfortable as an Interceptor. Sometimes, you just feel like having a fairing in front of you.

Can never fault anyone for buying a 919, either. Baffelectomisize the stock mufflers, or do any dual aftermarket cans. Nothing sounds better.
Those cbr900rr's would be fun commuters too but I already have a super sport type bike and I'd like something I can put a tail bag on and pick up stuff like groceries on the way home from work along with carrying my lunch /etc instead of on a backpack.

post #31 of 40 Old 02-15-2018, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Get the 919 with low miles on it. You'll probably not have to spent much on maintaining it for a while. All the other high milage bikes you're looking at will probably need money spent on them sooner especially if you start adding miles commuting regular. It's probably the one that will hold its value longer too.
I agree and did reach out to that seller but now no response. Buying a used bike shouldnt be difficult!

post #32 of 40 Old 02-15-2018, 02:50 AM
919 Rider

Ha! Buying the used bike is the easy part. Dealing with the buyers remorse afterwards is the difficult part.
My advice, take your time. Nothing worse than finding a better deal a week later.

post #33 of 40 Old 02-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:

That's kinda strange because a motorcycle is something that has more things that can go wrong and cause harm than a car or truck and is harder to get serviced when older.

I 12 year old bike won't be serviced at the dealer, has a greater chance of not being used regularly, whereas a car can be inspected many places.

If I money was a lesser issue, I'd buy the bike new an get a used car. I buy everything (cars bikes trucks) used, but I feel safer on a new bike and don't like a used bike unless I've checked it fully.

post #34 of 40 Old 02-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Tesserarius

The Interceptor had 4200 miles on it.

The black Super Duke had 4500

The orange Super Duke had 6500

The 929 had 2800

The 599 had 4200

The 900RR is hi mileage. It had over 8000

post #35 of 40 Old 02-15-2018, 08:06 PM
Tesserarius

The above post was done on my phone during some down time at work. I hate typing on that tiny little screen. The iPad is bad enough.

Buy in the fall. The older the previous owner, the better. Never buy anything from a 20 something. The black Super Duke came from a dealership. All the others came from guys that were 50ish. The guy I got the Interceptor from, was 70 something. You don't get to be a 50 year old motorcyclist by being stupid. Old dudes don't do farkles. They leave the back fenders, and turn signals alone. Low mileage motorcycles don't break.

And if you ever decide to sell a motorcycle, April (northern hemisphere) is the time.

I'm sorry, but the vast majority of car and pick-up drivers are pigs. How anyone can trash a beautiful, new, expensive car, is beyond me. It's just not that hard to clean and wax a car, have the dents fixed, change the oil. Smoked in? You couldn't give me that.
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #36 of 40 Old 02-16-2018, 09:39 AM
Tirone

You might consider expanding your search a little to see if you can find a 2005 or newer one since those have adjustable damping on the front and rear. I have several bikes but I consider my 2007 919 to be the best all-around member of the "fleet." If the engine has had its recommended service, it should last almost forever so I would not get too wound up about the mileage on the machine.

post #37 of 40 Old 02-16-2018, 11:10 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing_Throttle View Post
You might consider expanding your search a little to see if you can find a 2005 or newer one since those have adjustable damping on the front and rear. I have several bikes but I consider my 2007 919 to be the best all-around member of the "fleet." If the engine has had its recommended service, it should last almost forever so I would not get too wound up about the mileage on the machine.
^This
IDK how great the suspension is, but but given the prices of some other bikes, I think you have some room to spend.

post #38 of 40 Old 02-17-2018, 02:23 AM
Tesserarius

By the time you buy a cheap bike, and upgrade the suspention, and then probably the brake lines, you could have bought a nicer/higher quality, used bike. So it's pretty much a wash. Can't beat Honda reliability tho.

post #39 of 40 Old 02-17-2018, 03:14 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
By the time you buy a cheap bike, and upgrade the suspention, and then probably the brake lines, you could have bought a nicer/higher quality, used bike. So it's pretty much a wash. Can't beat Honda reliability tho.
That's something that's a real factor, should you pour money into one bike or get another. I look at the 919 and I see for $2500 and then I see the ZRX or Duc Monster or Buell and they don't get near that cheap. There's always the downside if investing in a bike where you'd never get your money back. Much like a car, you can invest in any car but will it produce the desired results.

post #40 of 40 Old 02-17-2018, 11:14 AM
Semi-professional MoRider

I would suggest you think about exactly what you want, color, condition, year etc. I personally like the red one and prefer 06/07 due to suspension improvements. Last year I set up the search criteria accordingly on craigslist and after a couple of weeks my dream bike showed up and I bought it for $2600- it did need some work but that was my plan anyway. Once you know what your parameters are it's just a matter of time; they always seem to show up.

My intention was to buy the 919 as a second bike. I commute daily and ride a lot. Meanwhile I rarely use my other bike anymore. The 919 is just perfect except for extended highway rides or when temps drop below 40. My commute includes about 20 min highway and that's no problem at all- even without the windshield, I took it off as it is much quieter without. Anything over 30 minutes highway, in my opinion, is a chore on the 919. Secondary roads, twisties- all day long.

Compared to your other bike you'd probably enjoy the upright seating and naked feel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode