They should have called this forum "919 Wrist Twisters"! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 06:13 AM
hairball919

They should have called this forum "919 Wrist Twisters"!

I love it! I notice that since I joined, every time I log in (daily, of course) when I scroll down into the bikes section, there are almost never any viewers in other bike's threads, but always viewers in the Naked Bike thread! And of the posts in the Naked Bikes threads, 98% of them concern 919's! This tells me several things...

That the 919 is currently the most popular naked bike!
I made a great choice in the bike I bought!
Wrist Twisters is THE source for 919 info!
Barton664 is an ass hole! (oh, that's nothing new)

But this makes me wonder something: if there are so many naked bike enthusiasts, WHY, tell me, WHY has every bike on every group ride I've been on since I got my 919 been a sportbike? NOT ONCE has another naked bike shown up for any rides since I found the local m/c forum (that I have since removed myself from due to "policy issues"). OHHHHH, I just figured it out: naked bike owners are so proud of their naked bikes that they leave them home on a pedestal so as to keep them meticulously clean and to have something to worship each night!

NAKED BIKES RULE! That's right, we bad...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 06:57 AM
US Army

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I'm particular about the groups I ride with cause there's a lot of testosterone on sportbike group rides but I've seen some Z1000s and either a FZ1 or FZ6 riding in a pack of sportbikes. I think the FZs and the SVs are more accepted by the sportbike crowd because of the half fairings. I think sportbikes underestimate the 919 I was behind three guys at a light who looked back at me and tried to leave me when it turned green but I stayed with them since we were not on the open road. This is a good city and twisty bike. Seems like none of the naked sports bikes are as popular as they could or should be. People that don't know want superbikes. From what I've seen as some "mature" they want an all around bike and move to the Bandit type bikes if they still want a sporting bike without the superbike ergos. I fit in the middle of my group before the Army moved me. One guy had a Busa one guy had a Harley and I had the "sport cruiser".

post #3 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 07:04 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I'm with Smitty on this...I think some naked riders kinda shy away from the sportbike crowd. That and the fact that they are less popular. I personally watched HondaJim hang with a ZX-10R so I have no reservations about the abilities of the bike. I like going on a few spirited rides, but the local sportbike crowd is just too immature. I rode with them once and will not ride with them again any time soon. They'll blow past you on your right side riding a wheelie, then do a stoppie right in front of you. I found a few local guys that ride responsibly and will always go out of my way to ride with Sniper or HondaJim!

EDIT: Also...the local sportbike guys usually don't wear gear. I'm not really into watching people lose their skin. I'd say that about 75%+ just wear a helmet, gloves, shorts, t-shirt, and untied DC shoes. They still run the backroads at 100+ in that.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #4 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post

EDIT: Also...the local sportbike guys usually don't wear gear. I'm not really into watching people lose their skin. I'd say that about 75%+ just wear a helmet, gloves, shorts, t-shirt, and untied DC shoes. They still run the backroads at 100+ in that.
Had one go past me on the way home last night... i am at 77ish radio on , cruise control set *(cage) and a gsxr go's past probly around 100 or so... shorts, no helmet,what looked like a pair of "vans" and a wife beater tshirt... he did have glasses on... and they looked like the safety glasses i wear at work... so maybe that counts as "atgatt" for him...

post #5 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairball919 View Post
I love it! I notice that since I joined, every time I log in (daily, of course) when I scroll down into the bikes section, there are almost never any viewers in other bike's threads, but always viewers in the Naked Bike thread! And of the posts in the Naked Bikes threads, 98% of them concern 919's! This tells me several things...
1. 919's break down the most...
2. 919's need the most work to get them to a useable bike...
3. Other naked bike riders are actually out riding, instead of talking about riding...
4. 919 riders feel the need to brag that they can beat a 600RR, R1, Hayabusa and low flying figther planes from a light when the other person did not know they were racing...

Shawn

post #6 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

5. 919 riders cannot figure out 'general streetbike' section is for anything motorcycle related.
6. 919 riders want to feel exclusive so they do not come out of this area
7. 919 riders know that outside of this forum they are pretty much insignificant.
8. 919 riders for the first 3 or four years of ownership worship the bike, but then eventually move on to something actually exciting. Very few report back that after buying something else, they regret their decision.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #7 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Oh yeah, and riding a different naked bike, I have found a sport bike group that believes in ATGATT, no squidding, etc. in the Austin area that is a lot of fun to ride with. Most sportbike groups though, too squidly for my pleasure.... The group I ride with, most people are in full leathers even on a weekend fun ride.

I am thinking of starting an offshoot of the group closer to my area (about 1 hour away) and trying to spread the belief that you can enjoy the ride without going in triple digit speeds and while wearing proper gear. Here are the rules you must agree to before joining...

Spoiler:

.: This forum is for MATURE RIDERS ONLY! :.

If you are looking to ride with a group of responsible, safety-conscious adults who still know how to have fun, then you've come to the right place!

Our rules are simple and, for the most part, self-explanitory. What you do on your own time is your business, but when you ride with the group you will act responsibly or you will be asked to leave.

Rules:
1. No tricks, stunts, reckless riding, etc. on group rides…EVER!

2. You and your bike must be LEGAL
- Current Tags
- Current motorcycle license
- Clean VIN
- Insurance

3. Gear is required for all group rides, NO EXCEPTIONS!
- DOT-approved full face helmet
- Motorcycle riding jacket (must fully cover your torso and arms)
- Full fingered gloves
- Boots (motorcycle riding boots preferred)
- Full length pants (motorcycle riding pants preferred)

4. Treat other members with respect. We are friends first and foremost.

We have NOT had issues with the local authorities and we would like to keep it that way. All of us at AustinSBR are committed to building a better image of the sportbike community.

THIS GROUP IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.

Shawn

post #8 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

we don't go the the general streetbike thread, because no one hangs out there.

we dont give a crap about exclusivity.

we dont give a crap about what anyone elce thinks about us. we're not that shallow.

I have bought a 600RR and a WR450 since I got the 919. I still ride and enjoy the 919 a lot. When something better comes out, I'll buy one. Oh, and I still have my 929.

post #9 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 10:17 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

i dont really care what anyone rides... 919 600rr 1000rr fz1 busa zx10 or some flavor of gixxer...

everyone here has some unique contribution... and for the most part everyone respects everyone else's choices...

we have a diverse group...

as far as a 919 only site... nahhh ...

my next bike will NOT be a honda... 2 honda's in a row..

getting time for a change...

post #10 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Sike

You guys started out really funny, then got a little cold about it. The 919 is a great bike, if folks respect it for what it is. It is really fun, very simple, reasonably fast, reasonably good handling, etc... I've had a LOT of bikes over the years, and I could see the 919 having a corner of the garage while others come and go. It won't probably get the most miles, but I can always rely on it to do everything well, and keep running (much unlike my Italian naked). People sometimes get carried away here with beliefs, but that happens on every forum. So, no reason to get nasty about things. Again, I think the lists started out really funny, then went a bit far.

post #11 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

I thought it was funny, but I guess some people took me seriously. When I got the Speed Triple, I had a hard time deciding between the S3 and the 919. That is how found this forum. :001_smile:

So, if you took it serious, I guess I will have to break out some of my KungFu and Ninja skills and 'splain things to you....

Maybe people just have a case of no-quite-spring-fever. People posting up about finally riding again while others are still too cold to go for a ride. Maybe you snow-stranded PMSing peoples (parked motorcycle syndome...what were you thinking) need to move to Texas and get a Speed Triple. Then you can smile again!!!!

post #12 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 11:17 AM
Sike

Quote:

That the 919 is currently the most popular naked bike!
I made a great choice in the bike I bought!
Wrist Twisters is THE source for 919 info!
Barton664 is an ass hole! (oh, that's nothing new)

But this makes me wonder something: if there are so many naked bike enthusiasts, WHY, tell me, WHY has every bike on every group ride I've been on since I got my 919 been a sportbike? NOT ONCE has another naked bike shown up for any rides since I found the local m/c forum (that I have since removed myself from due to "policy issues"). OHHHHH, I just figured it out: naked bike owners are so proud of their naked bikes that they leave them home on a pedestal so as to keep them meticulously clean and to have something to worship each night!

NAKED BIKES RULE! That's right, we bad...
You might want to check out a GSXR, R1, CBR, or ZX10 forum, and you'll notice the numbers are huge, and those huge numbers are for one model of bike (there are bitter fights between generations in those models). Here, in the US, naked bikes just don't sell. This forum has somehow translated into a 919 group, which I'm sure wasn't the original purpose (but I've only been around for 8-9 months). The sportbike riders can't be lumped into one group, because they vary greatly (the common jokes are that GSXR's guys are the squids, R1 owners the posers, ZX10 owners the hooligans, and CBR owners the mature cigar and slipper group). But, even with those specific models are huge subgroups. So, you don't see many naked bikes because they only make up a small, very small, percentage of bikes out there. By the way, there are a LOT more cruisers than sportbikes, but sportbikes seem to get noticed.

post #13 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
By the way, there are a LOT more cruisers than sportbikes, but sportbikes seem to get noticed.
That's cause they are so dang KEWL! All the kids (grown up and little) have always dreamed of riding 'em.

post #14 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgstuff View Post
... I have found a sport bike group that believes in ATGATT, no squidding, etc. in the Austin area ...

Shawn
Yup - good group. Thank you for introducing me to them. I have learned quite a bit about proper gear through that group.

Speaking of squidly behavior -
On my commute home Thursday I saw a young couple riding a sport bike:
Him: No helmet, shorts, T-shirt, tennis shoes and glasses.
Her: Helmet, tank top, shorts, flip-flops, with a "safety purse" slung over her shoulder.

Nice view, though I'd hate to see the sore meat after a spill.

post #15 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 11:34 AM
Sike

Quote:
I thought it was funny, but I guess some people took me seriously. When I got the Speed Triple, I had a hard time deciding between the S3 and the 919. That is how found this forum. :001_smile:

So, if you took it serious, I guess I will have to break out some of my KungFu and Ninja skills and 'splain things to you....

Maybe people just have a case of no-quite-spring-fever. People posting up about finally riding again while others are still too cold to go for a ride. Maybe you snow-stranded PMSing peoples (parked motorcycle syndome...what were you thinking) need to move to Texas and get a Speed Triple. Then you can smile again!!!!
Just providing the opinion that I think it went from friendly teasing to insulting. Luckily, I ride year-round, so I'm not PMS'ing. By the way, I love the S3, but I was able to get the 919 for about $5000 less and I use my ZX10 for getting silly.

post #16 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

the 9er will be in my stable a long time, but when momma wants more, the supersport tourer Z14 is my future choice

post #17 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 01:03 PM
hairball919

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
...the local sportbike guys usually don't wear gear. I'm not really into watching people lose their skin. I'd say that about 75%+ just wear a helmet, gloves, shorts, t-shirt, and untied DC shoes. They still run the backroads at 100+ in that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTraffic View Post
... I saw a young couple riding a sport bike:
Him: No helmet, shorts, T-shirt, tennis shoes and glasses.
Her: Helmet, tank top, shorts, flip-flops, with a "safety purse" slung over her shoulder.

Nice view, though I'd hate to see the sore meat after a spill.

AGREED:

post #18 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Who insulted whom?

If I insulted anyone, the sumbiich had it comin, cuz if you can dish it out you'd better be able to take it.

but I didn't see any insults.

post #19 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Nuttin wrong with a place for us 9'er owners to call home!

post #20 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaf4iguy View Post
5. 919 riders cannot figure out 'general streetbike' section is for anything motorcycle related.
6. 919 riders want to feel exclusive so they do not come out of this area
7. 919 riders know that outside of this forum they are pretty much insignificant.
8. 919 riders for the first 3 or four years of ownership worship the bike, but then eventually move on to something actually exciting. Very few report back that after buying something else, they regret their decision.

You are a jaded man...

post #21 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 06:45 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
You guys started out really funny, then got a little cold about it. The 919 is a great bike, if folks respect it for what it is. It is really fun, very simple, reasonably fast, reasonably good handling, etc... I've had a LOT of bikes over the years, and I could see the 919 having a corner of the garage while others come and go. It won't probably get the most miles, but I can always rely on it to do everything well, and keep running (much unlike my Italian naked). People sometimes get carried away here with beliefs, but that happens on every forum. So, no reason to get nasty about things. Again, I think the lists started out really funny, then went a bit far.
I totally agree with Sike because I'm BOTH of the people he's describing. When Barton wrote that his next bike won't be a Honda, my first response was BLASPHEMER--UNCLEAN! I have truly lost all rational sense of perspective.

But bear in mind, my 9er is my first bike and because of all of the qualities Sike lists, she will always be my daily driver (you never forget your first!).

However, because it is so well made, novices make strides on it quickly. Consequently, I am already plotting my financial map for an RC51 in summer 2010 as a second bike (V-twin experience to complement my inline 4). Saving money and working on my skills so I will know what to do with the RC51 when I get it.

I wonder how much of the loyalty in the 9er is because she is in many cases your first, and she invites you to do more with your life on a motorcycle.

post #22 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesty View Post
I totally agree with Sike because I'm BOTH of the people he's describing.
Umm...You're both Funny and Cold? Odd combination....but OK, we trust you....

Shawn

post #23 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

If someone is missing a corn cob, it's stuck up F4i's butt!

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #24 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 07:08 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Umm...You're both Funny and Cold? Odd combination....but OK, we trust you....

Shawn
You have it precisely. I work very hard to make life better for my direct reports at my job and for people at church as well as those in need...provided they promise to lead those bettered lives OVER THERE on THEIR side of the fence!

Oddly,

Jon

post #25 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 07:36 PM
hairball919

Thumbs down Apparently THIS comment/thread was a mistake

I never imagined how many negative (yet a few positive) comments this little observation would generate. I was simply stating that ANY time you log in to WT and scroll down to bikes, there are more VIEWING Naked Bikes than all the other bikes combined. I wasn't saying that more people OWN Naked Bikes, and I wasn't saying it was a bad thing. I just noticed it. But since I totally love my 919, I'm guessing my original post was perhaps a mistake. To call them junk that break down is a slam to ALL of us 919/Hornet owners, but WE know better! This is simply NOT the reason more people are viewing the Naked Bike section. MAYBE it is because we Naked Bike owners/riders take more pride in our machines, or want to learn more tricks and tips about them. MAYBE it's because WE have more knowledge to share, and more brain cells to put to use. What's the average age of a SportBike rider, 20? What's the average age of a Naked Bike owner, 40? Okay, enough said! A LOT MORE KNOWLEDGE AND WISDOM because shared amongst Naked Bike owners, I'm guessing. And since the majority agrees that more people own sportbikes than naked bikes, WHY is that the Honda dealers sell the 919's as fast as they can get them in from Honda, and WHY is it that "so many sportbike owners" aren't logged into their threads? I'm baffled, but I highly doubt it is for any negative reason.

Dang, WFT did I get started here? Sorry all you fellow 919/Hornet owners. I'm as shocked as YOU are at the replies.

FOR EXAMPLE: at the precise moment I posted THIS, there were 13 viewers in Naked Bikes, 1 in Cruisers, and NONE (0, ZERO, NADA) viewers in ANY of the other Machines! Coincidence? I think not!

post #26 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Shawn,

I am the one that said they break down and that is why people are here posting. Think about it, other then people intentionally doing mods or someone who dropped their bike, how many do know of that have broke down? An occasional dead battery, but nothing to speak of. They are HONDA reliable. I thought everyone knew that and would take my comments in jest. People...lighten up.

You are all taking comments on the internet too seriously.

Shawn

post #27 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 PM
hairball919

UPDATE: turn that 13 into a big 19, in a matter of minutes!

post #28 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 07:54 PM
hairball919

Quote:
Shawn,

I am the one that said they break down and that is why people are here posting. Think about it, other then people intentionally doing mods or someone who dropped their bike, how many do know of that have broke down? An occasional dead battery, but nothing to speak of. They are HONDA reliable. I thought everyone knew that and would take my comments in jest. People...lighten up.

You are all taking comments on the internet too seriously.

Shawn
It's all good. I'm just messing with everyone too. Hey, anyone with the name SHAWN can't be all bad>

I just seriously didn't think there would be so much negativity. And here's a good question for those other kill-joys: if naked bikes/919's are so junky and have lists of issues, then WHY are you people in the Naked Bike threads?? AND reading them? AND posting in them? Yeah, those naked bikes and especially those 919's are total crap and they break down all the time and sport bikes are the way to go, SO I think I'll spend my time reading and posting in the "Crap Bike" threads.

post #29 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

I just use the New Posts section and go into what I want to see based on topic. I don't actually say "Let me go the the Naked Bike section" unless I am trying to find a specific post that I had read in the past.

BTW Shawn, Do you have a soft spot for Chevelles and Old Street Rods? I have looked at about a dozen or so of your pages and you have some HOT cars in there. My dream car is a '70 Chevelle SS or a ~'32 T-Bucket, and I keep rolling past pictures of both! You have some great looking pictures and the cars look AWESOME!

Shawn

post #30 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 08:00 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I'm confused.

And my next bike is down to either 60% fz1 40% ducati streetfighter 10% harley ultraglide

post #31 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
I'm confused.

And my next bike is down to either 60% fz1 40% ducati streetfighter 10% harley ultraglide
Yep, you're confused....

60%
40%
+10%
______
110%

And it would probably look pretty wierd to have an fz1, ducati and harley mixed together.

We could call it the Harley Ducatafizzer 1.

Shawn

post #32 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 08:07 PM
hairball919

Remind me never to post THIS kind of comment again. Next time I'll comment on my hemorroids, my being folically challenged, my suffering from that rare disease called "lack-o-nookie", how much of b*tch my ex-wife was, how awesome XM Radio channel 56 is, how hot my 2nd grade teacher was, how I cure jock itch, all about my herbal usage when I was a teen, or maybe even how many licks it takes ME to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop...ANYTHING ELSE...

ANYTHING but the topic of how many MORE viewers there are in Naked Bikes IN THE NAKED BIKE SECTION.

post #33 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase

You know people will view ANYTHING that has a title with the word Naked in it....

post #34 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 PM
hairball919

Quote:
You know people will view ANYTHING that has a title with the word Naked in it...
THAT's the deal!!! I knew there was SOMETHING tempting them into the Naked Bike section!

post #35 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 08:25 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I agree this site is heavy on 919s, but there are still many other bike riders here. And people have joined to gain knowledge of their bike or by recommendation.

No one requires anyone to join though. Bring in 1000cc bike friends and we will have more to discuss and learn from each other.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #36 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Tirone Worm

I like hangin around here too..........

post #37 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton664 View Post
I'm confused.

Go with the FZ1. Bullet proof reliability and good power. Put a pipe and PCIII or IV on her. Get the forks rebuild and a Penske in the back, and you will be happier than the Duc or Hardly could make you. Yes, the Duc might be one of the coolest bikes in recent history, but one of the things keeping Duc shops open at this very moment is recall work on that specific engine.

post #38 of 38 Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Sike

Quote:
Remind me never to post THIS kind of comment again. Next time I'll comment on my hemorroids, my being folically challenged, my suffering from that rare disease called "lack-o-nookie", how much of b*tch my ex-wife was, how awesome XM Radio channel 56 is, how hot my 2nd grade teacher was, how I cure jock itch, all about my herbal usage when I was a teen, or maybe even how many licks it takes ME to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop...ANYTHING ELSE...

ANYTHING but the topic of how many MORE viewers there are in Naked Bikes IN THE NAKED BIKE SECTION.
In response, no hemorriods, yes folically challenged, no nookie disease problem, yes ex-wife-bitch, never heard XM radio (I only like techno crap that makes my bike faster), 3rd grade teacher, no jock itch, lots of herbs, always bite, and there are more people looking at the naked bikes here, just a fact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode