The weather gets nicer and...... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Sike

The weather gets nicer and......

all of the seasonal riders come out and ride like fools. Some end up dead, because they panic and have forgotten a bunch of stuff. Some just end up slowly snaking their way down the road. For those of us that ride year round in areas that do have bad weather, this drives us crazy. First, I feel horrible for anyones family that has to deal with a death. However, the motorcycle was only responding to the inputs it was given. So, if you haven't been out since last fall, take it easy and make sure to go over your bike carefully before going out. Second, please try to ride in a straight line, or along a logical line (outside-inside-outside).

You might have guessed, it was/is a beautiful day here and the bikes are out in huge numbers (compared to the past few weeks).

Thanks, Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 05:08 PM
LIVE FOR THE PROCESS

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Good call, Steve. There was a thread on this topic that had some good information

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ty+short+break

post #3 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Amen to that! I didn't expect to have forgotten what I did... I remember them saying in the MSF class that come spring you'll have to retrain yourself, well wouldn't you know it... They were right!

It is coming back to me, and quickly I might add. Just glad to be back out on the road riding!

post #4 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 11:19 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

After my last deployment I forgot so much I had to find my key first. Thankfully I was able to get scheduled for the MSF's ERC right after I got back. Heck, an empty parking lot would work too.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #5 of 8 Old 04-18-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Sike

I have been riding for about 38 years, and I'm lucky enough to ride year around. However, I get about 4 times as many miles in the summer than in the winter. Even with this experience, I try to take classes every year. This year I'm signed up for two classes on the track. I used to do open trackdays, but they vary so much with regards to level of supervision, and I'm getting too old for the silly behavior of the kids on their new sportbikes!!!!

I think everyone should be working, via professional instruction, to improve their skills. Skills, with some level of common sense, equal safety.

post #6 of 8 Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

While helping someone shop for a motorcycle yesterday, we were told by one of the salesmen that 2 motorcycles both running 2-up ran a red light and smacked into the side of a truck. We saw lots of lights and a couple bikes parked on the side of the road down that way but avoided the accident. Nothing was on any of the news sites this morning so I'm guessing it wasn't too bad.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Tonight we ride

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 

My local forum in the Bay Area has been having volunteers go up and set up a moto-safety booth on popular bike routes on weekends. They give folks safety talks, give out MSF course information, hand out bottles of water, and hand out safety/emergency contact cards for riders to fill in. A couple of bashed-up helmets and some really rashed one-piece leathers round it out.

The booth volunteer this weekend had a road-rash debridement kit on hand in a plastic tub--evocative without being too graphic. I think the campaign helps a few folks start ot think about the risks. Hope so, anyway.

post #8 of 8 Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 PM
hairball919

And some of us who live in rainy Washington have to zip out on those rare dry days between September and April. So, for a guy like me who has been riding for over 40 years, I'm still a pansy when it comes to riding when the roads are wet. But for buying my bike in the winter and it's barely summer yet, this odometer reading is a bit rare here in Washinton:

Heck, here is just the miles rode over the weekend on my Oregon Coast ride:

Pics are posted of my 2 day ride, so check 'em out! Even got a couple shots of barton664's kids!
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18688

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode