The "new" (okay, "brand-used") 919 is starting to blossom! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 56 Old 01-10-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Thumbs up The "new" (okay, "brand-used") 919 is starting to blossom!

The Motovation frame sliders are now on!

The Ventura rack (rigged up to accept stock grab rail) is on!

The new Dunlop D616 tires are on!

That goofy little extra piece with the rear red reflector is gone! Simple hack saw job. (I already tried a fender eliminator kit on my last 919 and didn't like it, so I'm staying with the stock fender)...

Getting ready to install the G&J stainless steel brake lines soon (I'm stalling until I find out if I can find a holder)...

Just picked up a Battery Tender I just need to hook up...

AND, the Renthal gold bars and end caps shipped out today, so they should be installed soon too. My newest $3900 toy is coming to life, slowly but surely (NO! I didnt' call you Shirley! LOL!).

I'm sure it's nothing special to those of you who have had your 919 for years or have had a few, or who are working and have a nice income. But to me, it's pretty sweet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 AM
Tesserarius

I think its looking Great, very clean the Uranium is a color that just pops. As long as you like how the bike turns out. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Unless it could be posted in the craigslist crackhead thread, in that case your opinion is invalid.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #3 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
I think its looking Great, very clean...
Thanks much!

I never understood where they got the "uranium" out of the green, since uranium is actually silvery-white/gray. But I also love this green!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the new Gorilla alarm being delivered today. I'm going to install it tonight! I loved the last one I had, so I had to get one for this bike.

post #4 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 07:05 AM
Discen

Sweet, what cans are you installing?

post #5 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Gets censored

Why D616's if you dont mind me asking?

post #6 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Señor Calamares

rain and snow in washington

post #7 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The color Honda calls "Uranium", is the color of the tiny tritium vials used in "night sights" on handguns; the glowing green dots. Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen. Shelf life for the Tritium glow is about 12 years, or about the same as a 919. Everybody knows what Uranium is, but few know what Tritium is. I wouldn't, if it wasn't gun related, and for Wikipedia.

You really going to ride that thing in the snow?

post #8 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue919Guy View Post
hopefully ateast c-cups, though DDs are more fun.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #9 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
+1

Nice looking bike!

post #10 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Allons-y!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
hopefully ateast c-cups, though DDs are more fun.
Anything more than a handful's a waste.... but a good kind of waste.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it" ~ Ayn Rand
post #11 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Tesserarius

You do know this is a street bike not dual sport...right?

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #12 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue919Guy View Post
So far I haven't thought about them. I spent WAY too much on my last 919 with the Yoshimura TRS slip-ons, LoJack, Gorilla alarm, Y-Pipe with no cat, Motovation sliders, and the list goes on.

I've decided to spend a little less this time. So far it's working fine so I don't think I'll mess with it. But I am going to buy a catless y-pipe! This bike was made for California so even though it's a 2004, it has the cat that needs to go. I've already spent more than I should have on this bike so the slip-ons will have to wait.

post #13 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Because I was looking for a tire designed for wet roads. The D616's were designed after wet weather road racing, and are superior rain tires. That's pretty important here in Washington. Not that I look for or ride in the rain, but in this area it's not uncommon to encounter rain on a sunny day!

post #14 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
You really going to ride that thing in the snow?
Heck no!!! That wasn't me who said that. I won't even ride it in the rain! It's just that I want a tire that is best suited for rain because around here you never know when a rain clowd will pass by.

post #15 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sml2727 View Post
You do know this is a street bike not dual sport...right?
HUH??? Not sure why you would ask that. It's my second one, and I've never owned anything but street bikes since I started riding in the late 60s.

Just because it's a street bike is no reason I can't have tires designed for rain in a state that gets poured on all the time. I really didn't like the Pilot Powers because even though it's a street bike, it's not a HyperSport like a Busa or ZX-14 and really doesn't need Pilot Power tires. I ride 50,000 miles or more per year, and like to be prepared for ANY weather just in case.

post #16 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Just got my Renthal bars and ends today, as well as my Gorilla alarm! Between the brake lines, battery tender, bars & ends, and alarm, it looks like I have something to keep me busy the next few days. Good thing, since it's starting to snow like crazy here and I won't be riding for awhile. Have plenty to keep me busy!

post #17 of 56 Old 01-12-2011, 12:39 AM
Discen

nice lookin bike man. i feel you when you said youve spent way too much on your bike, most of the money i make at college goes to my 919, seems like ive spent way too much on mine but in reality its not much because im usually broke.

really though, good work and keep us updated on what other upgrades you do

post #18 of 56 Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Shawn

Just ordered a cool thing called a "Stash Box" from Twisted Throttle that goes under your license plate and is used for storing documents and stuff. Pretty cool. Only $20 plus a small shipping charge. I just hope it works (and fits good).

I can't stop buying! I've bought locally or ordered something online every day in the past week or more! But still, haven't done anything to the powertrain. No Yoshimura slip-ons like the last bike, no Power Commander, nothing. The bike runs good enough as it is. But I am going to order a replacement Y-Pipe since I discovered this bike was a California model and has the cat when non-Cali models had no cat. It just gives the exhaust a bit of extra flow, which has to make some kind of difference in performance, however minimal.

Just my luck, I have all these parts and stuff to put on my bike, and we had snow last night! It's cold in the garage. I just picked up new seals and weatherstripping for the overhead garage door last night, so I guess I need to install that stuff before I work on my bike or I'll freeze. Guess this is part of what happens when you buy a bike in the middle of winter!

post #19 of 56 Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Duuuuuuurp.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhonda1987 View Post
Anything more than a handful's a waste.... but a good kind of waste.
Depends on the size of your hands and face...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfour919 View Post
I ride 50,000 miles or more per year, and like to be prepared for ANY weather just in case.
HOLY ... props on the amount of riding time. I don't even do that in a car... how many miles did your last 9er die with out of curiosity?

Spoiler:

Apparently I need to hit a few more states
post #20 of 56 Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfour919 View Post
Just ordered a cool thing called a "Stash Box" from Twisted Throttle that goes under your license plate and is used for storing documents and stuff. Pretty cool. Only $20 plus a small shipping charge. I just hope it works (and fits good).

I can't stop buying! I've bought locally or ordered something online every day in the past week or more! But still, haven't done anything to the powertrain. No Yoshimura slip-ons like the last bike, no Power Commander, nothing. The bike runs good enough as it is. But I am going to order a replacement Y-Pipe since I discovered this bike was a California model and has the cat when non-Cali models had no cat. It just gives the exhaust a bit of extra flow, which has to make some kind of difference in performance, however minimal.

Just my luck, I have all these parts and stuff to put on my bike, and we had snow last night! It's cold in the garage. I just picked up new seals and weatherstripping for the overhead garage door last night, so I guess I need to install that stuff before I work on my bike or I'll freeze. Guess this is part of what happens when you buy a bike in the middle of winter!

I would think a fellow member would have a non-cat Y-pipe that they would sell cheap (you could have mine but it has a cat).

Or you could go this route.......................................

https://www.wristtwisters.com/f86/new...9-a-25915.html

just saying...................

post #21 of 56 Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Tesserarius

I would take pauls advice and buy his Erion exhuast it would clean up the back of the bike a ton. Or there is a y-pipe for sale here

https://www.wristtwisters.com/f86/919...ale-25882.html

BTW that little trunk licence plate thing is kinda cool

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #22 of 56 Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Gorilla alarm installed today!

The instructions say it hooks up in "less than 20 minutes"! LOL! Sure, you can hook it up in less than 20 minutes, but you certainly can't properly mount it all. I spent about 2-3 hours on this, but then I like things done right.

Here is a small part of my day installing... (not all in the correct order)

It all turned out awesome. Very clean install, and it all works flawlessly. This is the same alarm I had in my last 919 but it's a newer model number. Same features though.

post #23 of 56 Old 01-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Gets censored

50k a year! Dayum, how many miles did you get on your last 919?

post #24 of 56 Old 01-13-2011, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

25,000 in 9 months. (The 50K was just an estimate, based on my last bike's mileage).

post #25 of 56 Old 01-13-2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIRIS View Post
Depends on the size of your hands and face...

HOLY ... props on the amount of riding time. I don't even do that in a car... how many miles did your last 9er die with out of curiosity?
My last 919 was running strong as new when I sold it after logging 25,000 miles in 9 months on it from new. The 50,000 a year was just a wild estimate, based on how many miles I rode the last one.

This was the odometer of my last 919 about 2 weeks before I sold it.

Logged another 4900 miles on it after this shot was taken. Believe me, I did a LOT of riding. Almost 7 days a week, anywhere from 100 to 500 miles per day.

In fact, this shot was after only 6 months...

And if you'll notice the dates, I put 10,000 miles on it in less than 3 months between these shots!

post #26 of 56 Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

A few of my odometer trip readings...

post #27 of 56 Old 01-13-2011, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Oh, and I only started taking these odometer shots in about April of 2009 after buying a new compact digital, so I left out almost 5 previous months.

post #28 of 56 Old 01-14-2011, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Shawn

So far it's looking like I won't be getting in nearly as many miles on this bike as the last one because out weather has sucked lately! We've had tons of rain, flooding, mudslides, snow, ice, and very cold conditions. Looks like I'll have more time to get more things installed on the bike while I wait for summer. On my last 919, I was out doing all-day rides by this time of year. Not this time around.

post #29 of 56 Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Shawn

Being tempted once again...

I'm very tempted to buy another Power Commander. Indy Superbikes has them for $258 shipped, which is the lowest price I've found anywhere.
CB919 - Indysuperbikes

But then I would be tempted to add a bunch of other performance stuff like new slip-ons and replace the Y-Pipe like I did on my last 919. Unless my last bike, I'm trying to hold back from buying a bunch of performance parts for this bike and concentrate more on cosmetic and safety stuff. Hey, the bike is scary powerful enough as it is. I don't plan on racing it anytime soon, and there are very few locations in my area where I can hit triple digits very often.

Yet I've always agreed for years that the stock cans are fugly, and need to be replaced. And the Y-Pipe needs to be replaced with the flat black one for 02-05 non-California models (without the cat). Ironically, the bike I picked up just happens to be an 04 but it IS a California model.

I need to slow down on my spending! Geez, I've been out of work for over 2 years, and need to concentrate more on finding work than building a missile on 2 wheels.

post #30 of 56 Old 01-21-2011, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

New brake lines and bars are on!

My best friend's teenage son (yes, you read that right) replaced my lines and bars in a few hours! This kid is GOOD at working on bikes! I got my new Renthal Street High bars and end caps in and didn't want to stare at them on my garage wall next to my G&J braided lines, so I called my buddy and he said bring the bike over because he has a very expensive Mighty-Vac we could use.

But ironically, his son did all the work! But like I said, this kid is almost as good at working on bikes as he is at riding his dirt bike!

In less than 4 hours, we had lift-off, Houston!

Shot a few pics just for fun...

I know, nothing special about this besides it was all done by a 17 year old kid. I'm impressed.

post #31 of 56 Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Got the cool new Twisted Throttle "Stash Box" installed.

These things are so cool. Not a lot of room, but it works for your registration and stuff.

I didn't like how it looked mounted to the stock license plate holder so I removed the holder and mounted it directly to the fender, where it's closer and has better light shining on it from above. I didn't want some cop to say he couldn't see my plate! Plus I mad it more sturdy be drilling 4 holes instead of the 2 they called for, so it's pretty secure. Pretty cool little box I believe! NOW let's just see how waterproof it really is!

post #32 of 56 Old 01-21-2011, 04:56 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

very nice going so far!

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #33 of 56 Old 01-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Cornicen

The gold renthals look great with the uranuim green

post #34 of 56 Old 01-24-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Shawn

thanks for the compliments! Yeah, the gold does look sweet. Too bad my calipers are black instead of gold like the newer years of 919.

the only issue is that I noticed my top triple tree isn't perfectly straight, so my bars are slightly off center. My friend's son adjusted it once but thought it was too far so we moved it back (too far back) and now it's right where it was. But I'm not sure which tree "limb" to loosen: top or bottom, left or right. I guess I'll have him help me again. I never expected a 17 year old kid to be better at working on bikes than I am or know more, but this kid has totally stripped down and rebuilt bikes and really knows his stuff.

post #35 of 56 Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

Learned a little lesson: never cut off that goofy lower fender thing with the reflector on it. I did this because it was so unsightly. I don't know a 919 owner who likes it. Big mistake! I found out the first day I rode on slightly wet roads (not even raining, just wet from dew). My entire tail section including all the way up onto the back of the seat had mud splashed up on it! After I discovered it the first time, I had to keep checking it and sure enough, I had to keep cleaning off the mud. The tail light was covered too.

So, it looks cooler and looks more normal, but is NOT a good idea if you live in an area where the roads are often wet and you have to ride on them.

Now I'm trying to come up with an idea of what to put in place of the lower reflector thing to stop the tire from throwing water up onto my tail section.

post #36 of 56 Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Batman

I had that license plate box years ago on my kz650...don't believe that it says weather proof. Any and all documents (or anything) needs a sealed plastic bag. Otherwise...its just another key to worry about too. I liked it...but it was kind of a bummer getting wet documents and then losing the key.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #37 of 56 Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

no worries about that: I only have my registration in it so far (the only thing that seems to fit) and it's in a zip-loc baggie. I didn't figure it would be 100% waterproof. Just more convenient if I ever get pulled over. Quicker and easier to get to my reg.

post #38 of 56 Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Chain looks like shit, but then again, I know all about the PNW weather. Been to Boeing Development Center plenty of times and understand that the rainy season there runs from Jan 1 to Dec 31. Try a DID Gold ERV. Love em here on my scoot. So do alot of other peeps.

Love the mods, and love the reports.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #39 of 56 Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Shawn

I know, man! I didn't realize the chain was so dry until I looked at those pictures myself! It amazed me, because this bike was at a Honda dealership from April until December, and I had assumed they would have serviced it all that time it was there! But apparently all they did was repair the damage from when it tumbled and got damaged.

Right after I shot the pic of the rear brake line and looked at it later that night, I rushed out the next day and bought some chain lube. NOW it looks like new!

One thing I found out that I really like: Chain WAX (spray) works 100% better than Chain LUBE (petroleum based) for not flinging all over! In fact, I saturated my chain and had it dripping! But I waited the "10-15 minutes to allow it to set" before riding off. To my total amazement, NOT ONE DROP flung onto my back rim or swing arm!!! Not like any other lube I have used! 99.999% of the chain lubes I've tried flung all over the place, even hours after applying! NOT this chain wax! I'm hooked now!

BTW, thanks for the compliments, Bigdaa!

post #40 of 56 Old 01-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Michael

Hey guys, anyone know if having the sliders attached at this point will cause frame warping if a hard fall happens? I really like the location vs mounting on the motor, but I dond want to damage my frame either. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode