Thar bars vs Rehthal UL's - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 03-21-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Secret Agent

Thar bars vs Rehthal UL's

Hi folks...
I wanna take my 919 to the track and wanted to see if there are any handlebars out their that will be great for track .. currently I am looking at the ...

Thar bars & the Renthal UL's .. please any input will be appreciated.

I have ridden the track twice before on a 600 ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I don't have experience with either so I'm not justified to comment.

Having said that, Rob is on here and will most likely have the best input. I would think the adjustability his bars offer may be an advantage worth investigating.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 26 Old 03-21-2010, 07:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

I have the renthal UL's and think they are pretty good. When I upgraded from the stock, I was mostly looking for somthing a bit thicker-walled than the stock steel that would damp out some vibes. The more forward-leaning posture I get from the renthals isn't really ideal for long-distance touring type stuff imho, but it's not terrible. I'd think the thar bars would be cool to try out. Adjustability is a good thing!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #4 of 26 Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Secret Agent

Yeh, the thar bars look very flexible when it comes to positioning, but 150 compared to 65 bucks.. also will they really give me a upper hand over the UL's .. in regards to positioning and lean... hmmm still need more input.. thanks for all the comments..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
I have the renthal UL's and think they are pretty good. When I upgraded from the stock, I was mostly looking for somthing a bit thicker-walled than the stock steel that would damp out some vibes. The more forward-leaning posture I get from the renthals isn't really ideal for long-distance touring type stuff imho, but it's not terrible. I'd think the thar bars would be cool to try out. Adjustability is a good thing!

post #5 of 26 Old 03-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

A picture is worth 1,000 words

Renthals are good as far as fixed bars go, and they are half the price of mine. However, if you are taking it to the track they have a limitation: The lowest position is available only over a very narrow range of angles, and their minimum width is limited by the bends in the tubing. The wider the bars the greater your frontal area and the more drag down a straight.

A drafted comparison of Renthal UL's (in green) and TharBars.

The bottom view is a clip on position which no fixed bar can duplicate, no, not even clubmans.

If you are willing to settle for what someone else thinks a handlebar should be shaped like go with the Renthals. They may or may not be optimum for you. TharBars can be fitted perfectly to practically any rider and use, and can be made to wear several hats (touring, canyon carving, track ...).

Thanks for the question, and may you make the right decision for you.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #6 of 26 Old 03-21-2010, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Secret Agent

Thanks Rob.. I appreciate it but any practical test with your bars on some twisties and straights ? .. i read Rob919 review on it. .. actually i seen them in person at his place. Liked it but not sure if their was anything better ... in comparison..

post #7 of 26 Old 03-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

just thought I'd share my recent experience in case it helps you decide what is right for you. ordering any standard bars is kind of a crap shoot in all honesty unless you know someone with the same bike with the bars you want. I put new bars on my wr250 this winter and I went to a big store a little over an hour away because they have all the typical aftermarket bars in the store, which is nice to find the bend that feels good but it's still not a perfect way of doing it. holding the bars in mid air is not the same as having the bars on your bike. I got higher bars then stock and I also bought a lower seat. so far I hate the bars with the new seat, which is an inch lower, but I absolutely love the bars with the old seat. so just an inch makes a huge difference. I've never seen anything remotely close to rob's as far as adjustability.

I never put after market bars on the 919 so I can't make any recommendations, good luck in your quest.

I Don't try to explain to people why I ride a motorcycle
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible."

'08 Yamaha WR290R/X
'09 KLX140L (wifes bike)
post #8 of 26 Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Discen

Thar-bars all the way.

post #9 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Pilus Posterior

I'm running UL on mine and I'm very happy. However the above comments re adjustability are correct - mine are set relatively tight in relationship to the tank on full lock with winter riding gloves on - if I tilt them forward I find them uncomfortable as obviously the wrist angle alters too.

The other adjustable option to consider is Lavarda Jota bars - cost wise about the same as the thar.

And finally .......

No matter what you buy be prepared to have to alter it again - it's all personal taste - I went through 3 sets of bars until I was happy.

I'd like to try some fatbars one day for no other reason than I really like the look! But I figure with the riser adaptor they may end up higher than I desire.

post #10 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

And finally .......

No matter what you buy be prepared to have to alter it again - it's all personal taste - I went through 3 sets of bars until I was happy.
This is exactly the reason I went with Thar-bars. When I had my FZ6, i went through several bars trying to find one I liked. Never did, and ended up going back to stock.

When I saw thar-bars, I knew I'd rather spend $160 and get exactly what I wanted rather than waste more time trying bars that would not be exactly what I wanted.

With Thar-bars, I have them set for exactly what I want. If I want to change it later, I can. Are the infinitely adjustable, no. Are they the best bars on the market, for me yes.

post #11 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

I'd like to try some fatbars one day for no other reason than I really like the look! But I figure with the riser adaptor they may end up higher than I desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
This is exactly the reason I went with Thar-bars. When I had my FZ6, i went through several bars trying to find one I liked. Never did, and ended up going back to stock.

When I saw thar-bars, I knew I'd rather spend $160 and get exactly what I wanted rather than waste more time trying bars that would not be exactly what I wanted.

With Thar-bars, I have them set for exactly what I want. If I want to change it later, I can. Are the infinitely adjustable, no. Are they the best bars on the market, for me yes.
I'm in the same boat. I've had Renthal Ultra Low's and a few similar bends on two different 919s. The first 919 saw a number of track days before it was totalled.

For everyday riding the ULs are 1000X better (for me) than the OEM bars, but they still wouldn't be the first choice for a track day. On my current 919 I have a custom setup and oversize bars. I've tried a ProTaper and a Renthal Fatbar on there (at almost $90 each) and still haven't found a perfect bend or width. I'm close, but still not quite there.

I plan to do a few track days this season and know that these bars will be less than ideal. Since I ride to work and ride to the track (both are within 30 minutes from my house), it would be great to have a comfortable bar set-up for my daily commute and a more aggressive set-up for track days.

Some may balk at the idea of spending $160 on a set of bars, but I could have bought at least 2 sets of Thar bars with the money I spent on bars for both 919s (at $60-$90 each), and I still don't have the "perfect" bend, and no way to adjust them.

I will definitely be considering these bars. I'd love to see a set with black bars and black clamps!!

post #12 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Sike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
1) I plan to do a few track days this season and know that these bars will be less than ideal. Since I ride to work and ride to the track (both are within 30 minutes from my house), it would be great to have a comfortable bar set-up for my daily commute and a more aggressive set-up for track days.

2) I will definitely be considering these bars. I'd love to see a set with black bars and black clamps!!
1) So, which group are you going to go out with???

2) Go for it, and take them to American Powdercoating in Auburn.

Later, Steve

post #13 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
and still haven't found a perfect bend or width. I'm close, but still not quite there.

I plan to do a few track days this season and know that these bars will be less than ideal. Since I ride to work and ride to the track (both are within 30 minutes from my house), it would be great to have a comfortable bar set-up for my daily commute and a more aggressive set-up for track days.
No sweat with my bars.
Quote:

Some may balk at the idea of spending $160 on a set of bars, but I could have bought at least 2 sets of Thar bars with the money I spent on bars for both 919s (at $60-$90 each), and I still don't have the "perfect" bend, and no way to adjust them.
Hmmm ... if only somebody would make adjustable bars. Oh wait -- somebody is.
Quote:

I will definitely be considering these bars. I'd love to see a set with black bars and black clamps!!
I have four clamps at a local powder coater for masking and painting black. As soon as he does this I'll have a quote for the painted clamps, and see if I will have to bump the price for the bar set by a little. Probably by Wednesday. As to coating the handle tubes: the clamps are a very accurate fit on the handle tubing so any surface coating will either require masking where the clamps go or I'll have to come up with a surface finish that won't add any dimension to the tubes. Looks like it will be a tough nut to crack.

I'll keep you posted.

Rob

On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #14 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 03:09 PM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
How about get them set, then remove and rattle can it.

I shot some rattle can black and rattle matte clear on my grab bar almost 2 years ago. I've kicked it, strapped to it, and knocked into it with stuff and it still looks great.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #15 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

I assume these are some sort of steel and that you've gone over this but I'm just throwing it out there...

Can you make them from aluminum? Because anodizing would not add material to the bar and still allow a nice durable finish.

post #16 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 03:51 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
1) So, which group are you going to go out with???

2) Go for it, and take them to American Powdercoating in Auburn.

Later, Steve
Steve, I'm not sure which track day(s) I'll do. 4/14 with 2-Fast, 5/6 with Adrenaline Freaks, and 5/13 & 6/16 with Mike Sullivan all look like they might work with my work schedule. I haven't got my schedule worked out for Aug. & Sept. yet.
I try to sign up with B group, but if it's full I go with the slower guys. I'm just out there working on cornering and throttle control and not racing, so either group is fine with me. You gonna make it out to any this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
How about get them set, then remove and rattle can it.
That would work but I want to be able to move everything around on occasion, without scuffing up the paint. Ideally, I would want a position similar to the Renthal UL for the daily commute, then change to a position slightly less aggressive than clip-ons for track days.

post #17 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Immune

the only drawback I have with the Thar bars is I am limited in the amount of froward and backwards adjustability due to the fork adjustments (I put on F4I forks). The bars will hit the fork adjuster if to far foward or backward. I still have plenty of adjustability on the bars and I have found settings that work for me so it is not a problem. I am not sure if stock 919 fork adjusters are as tall as the F4I so this might not be a problem for anyone else. I am happy with the bars and this is not a complaint or problem for me but could be for someone else. The bars have more of a buzzing on my hands (at higher rpm's) than the renthals I had but not enough to bother me. I actually have more of a problem with the Sato rearsets as they are very buzzy on the feet at high rpm's (I did not have this with OEM rearsets) so the bling factor on these kind of sucks due to the buzz. The Thar bars are well worth the money IMO. Just my Hope this helps someone

post #18 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Secret Agent

thanks for all the comments folks.. i am gonna go with the thar bars.. unless someone changes my mind..

post #19 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I assume these are some sort of steel and that you've gone over this but I'm just throwing it out there...
304L stainless.
Quote:

Can you make them from aluminum? Because anodizing would not add material to the bar and still allow a nice durable finish.
I can have the handles made from 6061 tubing and anodized, but the color would wear off quickly where it encounters the clamps. If that's acceptable I'll query my supplier about fabrication cost and lead time and post the results here and in the availability thread.

Oh, I also found a fab company that does titanium -- it'd be a wallet breaker, but if you're looking for the trickest, well ...

Keep them coming.

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #20 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Heck, Stainless can be anodized.
It may be that it is cost prohibitive for this application, but it's worth looking into.

B&M Finishers Inc.[Kenilworth, NJ]

Stainless Steel Anodizing and Electropolishing On GlobalSpec

post #21 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Secret Agent

Just ordered the Thar bars...

post #22 of 26 Old 03-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aboo007 View Post
Just ordered the Thar bars...
Cool. Post some pics once you get everything sorted.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #23 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Aquilifer

Brand new guy here just reading thru various threads and trying to absorb.

"Man, these guys are complaining about $150 bars? Have they never tried to buy Heli Bars or Vario Bars or even Gen-Mar risers? $150 is cheap!"

post #24 of 26 Old 03-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
"Man, these guys are complaining about $150 bars? Have they never tried to buy Heli Bars or Vario Bars or even Gen-Mar risers? $150 is cheap!"
Exactly, I've been looking at adjustable riser clip-ons for years and they range from about $250-$400.

post #25 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Optio

Even the non-adjustable Suburban Machinery type 2 bar for the 919 is $165.

post #26 of 26 Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
Brand new guy here just reading thru various threads and trying to absorb.

BTW never bought those bars before, but i believe i made a good decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode