Thanks & Headlights - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Traitor

Thanks & Headlights

Iíve had the 9er out of winter storage for about a month now and Iím closing in on my first 1000km on the 9er (new to me 07 with 6600km) and so far Iím loving it! The bike came with a wind screen, givi crash bars and a center stand and so far Iíve managed to install the G&J brake lines, with Machmotoís holder of course, flapper mod is done, GPS mount and wiring, block off plates installed (bafflectomy scheduled for the next rainy weekend), and I did a poor manís fender eliminator!

All this thanks to all you wristtwisters and this community! I would never have picked up a wrench to do any of these things if things werenít so well documented here, nor would I have found the connections like G&J for the kicking deal on brake lines. Iím actually quite surprised at how much satisfaction I get out of doing things on my own and having them work out!

Iím a new(ish) rider, dirt bikes as a kid then took a 20 year break before I started riding on the pavementÖ I rode an 84 Nighthawk 650 for a couple of months before upgrading, nice bike but nothing like the 9er (25 years makes a difference). The 9er is a very welcoming bike for a newbie like me, not too crazy on the power to scare me out of riding but enough to take to the track next month!

As Iím getting used to the 9er Iíve only noticed 2 things to complain about: That seat is not comfyÖ Iím told I will get used to it but damn!

Also the headlight is weakÖ 95% of my riding is during the day but the other night I was out a little later in the evening and I was surprised by the light. Any one know if the bulb can be upgraded? Iím not looking to change the headlight itself but would like to have more visibility / be more visible at night!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I'm sure there are after-market bulbs out there that are more efficient than the stock ones. I personally think the 599 headlight swap is totally worth the investment and doesn't alter the look of the bike much. I've recently shot some HD video's, If you would like, I can try and chop out a minute or two so you can get an idea of the change.

post #3 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Optio

I like the silverstar bulbs, but I wouldn't swear that it will greatly improve the amount of light you throw on the road. I use them because I think they're a little more visible to oncoming traffic than stock bulbs. You might also check your headlight alignment to make sure it isn't aimed too low.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 PM
The Cripple

the problem with the 919 headlight is a single bulb in that huge reflective cup.... not enough light focus and light is spread too much. i upgraded to a more powerful bulb and it was better, but the streetlights around here still overpowered the headlights.

currently in the process of doing the 599 headlight swap. as soon as i get the bike back from the dealership, i'll be able to hook it up and see how it does. i suspect it'll be far better than the 919 light because the 599 headlight has 2 h11 bulbs. 1 for low, and 2 for high (talk about visability during the day!). plus the headlight has a divider to help focus the light for the low beam so that should make a big difference at night.

post #5 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You could also try a cheap, high-powered yellow bulb (2500k). I switched over to a set of cheap ones off E-bay ($30/pair) and really liked the way they look. Definitely more visible to other drivers than stock or white/blue headlights.

Now I have dominator headlights. One with a Silverstar Ultra and another with the yellow bulb. Another option and very visible. It does need an extra relay to run properly though.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 06:49 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Welcome to our place. I hope you didn't get rid of the NightHawk, a real eye pleaser to me. Like Jay said, check your alignment 1st. There is a small hash mark on the side of the bracket and light, it should be parallel with the ground. It probably got moved when replacing the windsheild.

[
post #7 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 08:28 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post

I suspect it'll be far better than the 919 light because the 599 headlight has 2 h11 bulbs. 1 for low, and 2 for high (talk about visability during the day!). plus the headlight has a divider to help focus the light for the low beam so that should make a big difference at night.
Actually, the 599 setup (by default) is 1 for high, 1 for low. With the addition of a diode at the right place, both fire. I'm waiting on a buddy to dig up a diode so I can give this setup a try. IIRC you did say you ordered the dual-hi beam setup so I'm not calling you wrong here

post #8 of 13 Old 04-21-2010, 08:44 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
Actually, the 599 setup (by default) is 1 for high, 1 for low. With the addition of a diode at the right place, both fire. I'm waiting on a buddy to dig up a diode so I can give this setup a try. IIRC you did say you ordered the dual-hi beam setup so I'm not calling you wrong here
ur correct there, thanks for clearifying, i meant MY 599 headlight, lol.

post #9 of 13 Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Traitor

Thanks for the input fellas!

Been speaking with a couple of parts guys at dealerships. One is pushing to put in a HID kit, cost would be a couple of bills and my budget for mods has all but dried up... The other is warning that brighter more powerful bulbs put off more heat and can melt/damage the headlight unit!

I'm definitely leaning towards a new bulb, the next thing I have to figure out is the difference between an H4 and and H7... I learn something new everyday!

post #10 of 13 Old 04-22-2010, 07:10 AM
Red Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefsalad View Post
Actually on my wifes 599 it's one bulb for low beam and BOTH bulbs for high beams and this is stock!

Some people live and learn and some just live!
My blood runs Honda Red......
2003 Honda 919
2004 Honda 599
1999 Honda XR650L
post #11 of 13 Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

The stock seat is the worst ever, especially for a passenger. But easily fixed.

post #12 of 13 Old 04-22-2010, 09:56 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody469 View Post
Actually on my wifes 599 it's one bulb for low beam and BOTH bulbs for high beams and this is stock!
lol! thanks woody... i didnt know, was just referring to my headlight. nice to know that the 599 runs dual as stock. means i dont have to worry about it overheating.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davreece View Post
Thanks for the input fellas!

Been speaking with a couple of parts guys at dealerships. One is pushing to put in a HID kit, cost would be a couple of bills and my budget for mods has all but dried up... The other is warning that brighter more powerful bulbs put off more heat and can melt/damage the headlight unit!

I'm definitely leaning towards a new bulb, the next thing I have to figure out is the difference between an H4 and and H7... I learn something new everyday!
Davreece, avoid the HID conversion if you can. it'd take quite a bit of work to do. theres 2 or 3 really good threads regarding HID conversions and the bottom line is, the stock reflector and lens is not up to the job for a HID conversion. the light would be too scattered and simply blind oncoming traffic. to do a proper HID conversion would result in chopping the headlight assembly, which i decided to pass up on. doing the 599 swap cost $275 for everything shipped to my door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode