Terrifying Rear Break Issue - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Terrifying Rear Break Issue

Hello friends. 3 year reader, first time poster. I'd like to engage your help in trying to figure out what the HELL is going on.

Three weeks ago I had my 919 inspected and had the oil changed after a busy summer of a lot of sitting. Last Sunday it was a gorgeous 55 degree day in Atlanta, GA. I decided to go out for a ride. I pulls up to the stop sign just out of my driveway. A small SUV arrived at the 4 way stop about the same time. They waved me on and I turned left in front of the SUV. Traveling up a steep hill,feeling some unusual and strange resistance, I lifted on the throttle and was shocked as the 919 came to a sudden stop. I dropped the clutch and as I realized some force outside of my control was bringing me to a stop, I tried moving across our typically quiet street to get out of the way from the SUV I knew was following me. I came to an abrupt haut in the middle of the street as of an emergency break was applied. I was nearly hit by the SUV.

I was able, after some struggle, to get turned around and headed back to the house to put an end to the short and bitter ride. I did some searching and found people suggesting to wash the clipper with break cleaner, pound with love via a rubber mallet and all should be well.

This Sunday I tried this fix and set out on another ride. To speed this story up, things went well for the first hour and then I locked up in the middle of a much busier road than the last time. Finally was able to rock into a slightly freeer position, dropped the cluch and basically revved through the break lock to move to safety. Pounded on the caliper and went along fine for the rest of the ride.

Help!?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 05:11 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Sounds like it's time to take it apart and inspect... At least, flush the fluid and start from there.

post #3 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 05:52 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I would try to bleed the rear brake line and see if that helps. Sounds like you have some air in the line and when it heats up it is expanding and pressurizing the brake line, applying the brakes.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 06:06 PM
Milites Gregarius

Any chance someone mixed DOT5 fluid with DOT3/4?

post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I've had the same issue with older bikes. Cb750 and shadow 500. With those, it was the seal around the brake piston was swollen. One day you could push the bike, next day the front brake would be locked. I think it was humidity related. Changed the seal and it was fine. About $5 and not much more than a big o-ring. I know a guy who had his front wheel lock while riding from the same problem.

Spoiler:

post #6 of 7 Old 11-29-2016, 09:23 AM
just send it.

Garage
Rear brake on a 919? Meh... just remove it.

[This space for rent]
post #7 of 7 Old 11-29-2016, 11:21 AM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Either of the above could cause it. The different brake fluids in the system would cause the rubber to swell. Contact the place that did your inspection and oil change. Hopefully if someone did touch your brakes they didn't mix the fluids while servicing the rear. If they didn't touch them, then you could try a simple bleed to check for air in the system or check the seals. Make sure to use a plunger or rubber tool to pull the piston out. You don't want to scratch it.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode