tappet/cam chain noise - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 09-10-2007, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Lightbulb tappet/cam chain noise

Hi all ..... after only 800 miles on my 2 day old 919 im hearing a tapping noise , it sounds like its coming from the engine and its more noticable at the lower end of the rpm scale and only at load ( does not exist at idle or even giving it a rev ) only appears when the bike is under load taking off and i can only hear it to about the 3k rev mark ..(everything gets to noisy after that, wind etc) ....... does anyone have any idea what that might be and if i should be thinking about hiting the panic button???? ............ power etc is not affected at all but i dont want to carry on riding the beast if it could damage something...... thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-10-2007, 04:39 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

It's probably the fuel injectors. They make the exact noise you described.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #3 of 19 Old 09-10-2007, 04:50 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

No panic button needed. Ride the beast and enjoy!

post #4 of 19 Old 09-10-2007, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks hondajim ..... never having owned an injected bike i didnt know they made noise...... is that really normal and do they all do it ? cheers

post #5 of 19 Old 09-10-2007, 05:52 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearwheel View Post
Hi all ..... after only 800 miles on my 2 day old 919 im hearing a tapping noise , it sounds like its coming from the engine and its more noticable at the lower end of the rpm scale and only at load ( does not exist at idle or even giving it a rev ) only appears when the bike is under load taking off and i can only hear it to about the 3k rev mark ..(everything gets to noisy after that, wind etc) ....... does anyone have any idea what that might be and if i should be thinking about hiting the panic button???? ............ power etc is not affected at all but i dont want to carry on riding the beast if it could damage something...... thanks in advance
1st of all, welcome. Second, "only" 800 miles on a 2-day old 9er is pretty nice, man! Good to know we have new kiwi friends!

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #6 of 19 Old 09-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

My Honda mechanic told me that this sound was a spark knock and not to worry about it. I don't know enough about FI engines and/or timing issues to tell him he was wrong so I just keep riding it.

Madmotor
'06 919

post #7 of 19 Old 09-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmotor View Post
My Honda mechanic told me that this sound was a spark knock and not to worry about it. I don't know enough about FI engines and/or timing issues to tell him he was wrong so I just keep riding it.

Madmotor
'06 919
Tell your mechanic in polite terms, he is full of crap! These 4 stroke motors do not exhibit 'spark knock'. You can run below grade Mexican piss gas in the 919 and it would not knock!

post #8 of 19 Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Mine just started making this similar noise today. I too thought it was detonation. Just injectors huh. 5700 miles.

post #9 of 19 Old 09-13-2007, 04:26 PM
My Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Mine just started making this similar noise today. I too thought it was detonation. Just injectors huh. 5700 miles.
My bet is that your bike has been making that noise all along, you just started noticing it today after reading this thread!

post #10 of 19 Old 09-13-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah, a little noise in these motors is normal. If you get one of those mechanics' stethoscopes and press it to the injector while the motor is running you'll hear the noise you're describing.

I'm not saying it's not possible for one of these motors to break, but I think it's very, very unlikely for a halfway well-maintained 919 motor to break down.

Speaking of noises, wringing out a 919 on the track will tickle your eardrums - you hear the injector clicks, the intake growl, the exhaust thump, and various other mechanical noises. 10,000 RPM at full throttle is a wonder to behold.

post #11 of 19 Old 09-14-2007, 05:13 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Ok, I won't stress about the noises then. Thanks AJohn.

I have played with the upper end of the rev band. A bit.

Does the niner even know when to stop ?

post #12 of 19 Old 09-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
I have played with the upper end of the rev band. A bit.

Does the niner even know when to stop ?
It lets you know when you can't go any further. It is quite a ways into the red before it hits it's limiter. It does not make much more power beyond the redline though.

post #13 of 19 Old 09-14-2007, 12:14 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I was telling Ajohn at the track that an article I read suggested that power falls off after 7 grand. Who writes these things ?

Sidenote, Salesman at a H/D dealer that rode a Super Duke said that the duke fell on its face at 85 mph.

Now back to our regularly scheduled niner lauding

post #14 of 19 Old 09-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Pilus Posterior

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 

Quote:
Sidenote, Salesman at a H/D dealer that rode a Super Duke said that the duke fell on its face at 85 mph.
Did you ask if he tried to shift to second gear? The specs for the Duke put it right on par with the 9'er. Max torque probably comes on a little sooner in the revs but it should have no trouble getting beyond 85.
You can test ride one at Corsa Superbikes in Suakville.

Quote:
Now back to our regularly scheduled niner lauding

post #15 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 04:52 AM
Milites Gregarius

Hope you guys don’t mind my comment on my situation since we have almost fully tenderized this horse...

Other then the normal sounds that come off the 919, there is a certain situation that occurs with my bike that rasies a bit of a concern for me, and not sure if any of you guys have come across this...

While riding, say for example I am come into a turn, gear down and enter the corner at 50km, and I am in second, as I start to exit the corner and start to roll on the throttle (I am in 2nd gear), I get to a point while I am rolling on the throttle at about the ¾ point (I am pulling away fair aggressively), I start to hear a tapping sounds that does not sound at all like knocking, or normal pinging, it sounds like very high pitch tapping.. It sounds like as if two values are being tapped together as the sound is a very high pitch metallic sound, which concerns me greatly. At this point I will roll back the throttle just a bit and it stops, and I will continue on…

I have tried all grade of gas and it makes no difference...

The mods I have done to the bike are, Sato Exhaust, Flapper only

I assume then this is normal for our 919s???

thanks guys

post #16 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
Hope you guys don’t mind my comment on my situation since we have almost fully tenderized this horse...

Other then the normal sounds that come off the 919, there is a certain situation that occurs with my bike that rasies a bit of a concern for me, and not sure if any of you guys have come across this...

While riding, say for example I am come into a turn, gear down and enter the corner at 50km, and I am in second, as I start to exit the corner and start to roll on the throttle (I am in 2nd gear), I get to a point while I am rolling on the throttle at about the ¾ point (I am pulling away fair aggressively), I start to hear a tapping sounds that does not sound at all like knocking, or normal pinging, it sounds like very high pitch tapping.. It sounds like as if two values are being tapped together as the sound is a very high pitch metallic sound, which concerns me greatly. At this point I will roll back the throttle just a bit and it stops, and I will continue on…

I have tried all grade of gas and it makes no difference...

The mods I have done to the bike are, Sato Exhaust, Flapper only

I assume then this is normal for our 919s???

thanks guys
I think I might have that same noise, is it around 5k-6k rpm? or is it non-rpm dependent? I would describe my noise as more of a buzz, but quite high-pitched like you said. I am completely unconcered by it.

post #17 of 19 Old 09-15-2007, 02:59 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Found mine today. It was the drive chain screaming: HEY ! A-HOLE ! a LITTLE LUBE PLEASE !!!!

stupid rain.

post #18 of 19 Old 09-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Milites Gregarius

I can hear it start around the 4.5K rpm mark, so yes, it is in that rpm range....

Do you pull back on the throttle when you start to hear it?, or ignor and keep on rolling the throttle on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerks919 View Post
I think I might have that same noise, is it around 5k-6k rpm? or is it non-rpm dependent? I would describe my noise as more of a buzz, but quite high-pitched like you said. I am completely unconcered by it.

post #19 of 19 Old 09-17-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
I can hear it start around the 4.5K rpm mark, so yes, it is in that rpm range....

Do you pull back on the throttle when you start to hear it?, or ignor and keep on rolling the throttle on?
I just stay on the throttle, it stops after about 6k I think. I think my noise is just something buzzing, not sure where it is coming from, but I don't think nothing important. If we are talking about the same noise, I wouldn't be worried.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode