Tank scratches, pocket knives, and tank bra's - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Tank scratches, pocket knives, and tank bra's

During Christmas travel I lost my pocket knife at an airport security checkpoint. I could have gone back and checked it but I would have missed my flight.

So when I replaced it, I discovered that a pocket knife with a metal pocket clip scratches the tank. And guess what, almost every #$%@ pocket knife with a clip now has a metal clip. My old pocket knife is no longer made with a plastic clip.

So now I have decided that maybe a tank bra is the way to go to solve my headache. Anybody have any experience / suggestions / links? Note that I need more than one of those zipper guard things, that only covers a small part of the tank. I need something that covers at least the back 25% of the tank from damage. I'd rather not mess with those plastic sheet coatings but if you've had a really good experience with them let me know.

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 07:04 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I'm looking at the Targa tank bra right now. It's about $35, and it seems to hold up well. A friend of mine bought an old 600 Ninja that had one on it, and that tank looks new underneath still. The bra was about 4 years old, and it looked like it held up well.

-Joe
post #3 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Unbannable

The bra can cause damage as well. Might I suggest some 3M clear stuff. Kinda like that plastic wrap you use for food. They make it for motorcycles, it's even pre cut for some models.

Infact I need to get my hands on some!

post #4 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 08:06 AM

To keep from sounding rude. Why not carry your pocket knife in a different place. Like your pocket, Tank Bag, ect............. When I put the first scratch on my bike it made me sick.

post #5 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

So far I have had two Targa tank covers. The first was smooth vinyl then I switched to the CF looking one after I had my Sargent seat recover to match. Been on the bike since a week after I bought it new. 20k miles and it has never been a problem. My bike is asphalt black so scratches are less of an issue. However, the cover has not caused any that I can see when I take it off to wash. I would recommend this product.

I will post pictures later if you want? I have pictures of both. I am working out some kinks on my web server so I don't have these pictures available right now. Any of my posts with pictures will temporarily be affected and I apologize.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Road Madness View Post
To keep from sounding rude. Why not carry your pocket knife in a different place. Like your pocket, Tank Bag, ect.............
Because he's trying to justify buying a tank bra.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Road Madness View Post
To keep from sounding rude. Why not carry your pocket knife in a different place. Like your pocket, Tank Bag, ect............. When I put the first scratch on my bike it made me sick.
A valid question...
If I put it in a tank bag, I have to remember to put it in and take it out every time I get on the bike. Most days I'm lucky to remember where I parked. I don't need anything that I have to remember. Or I will find every time I reach for my knife, that I discover it is in my bag.

I guess I could put it in my back pocket but I tried that and sitting on a hard piece of steel is not too comfy.

Ideally I'd like a plastic clipped pocket knife but apparently there is no such think anymore. My previous knife was a "voyager" by Cold Steel and now they have steel clips.

David

post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

David, Another dumb question. Why do you need to carry one of these puppies when you ride?

post #9 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 04:34 PM

incase he gets in a fight of course. just like any other "outlaw motorcycle rider"

lol

nah i dunno knives are just handy to have. ive carried one for about 5 years, and i use it probably 10 times a day. even handier is a leatherman tool.

id say you could try and clip it to your belt? or maybe get a knife that has one of those little carrying cases?

post #10 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Check out Spyderco. I carried them in the military for survival stuff, and most of the ones I had came with a plastic clip that was formed with the handle. Broke the blade on a couple, but they never dulled, and the clip was formed correctly so you could pull the knife from your pocket and open the blade in one motion.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=15

Okay, just looked at the website. The dragonfly is about the only one with a plastic clip. They used to make the rescue knives with the plastic too. Guess they changed that. I can vouch for the one above. It is a small knife, but it gets the job done.

-Joe
post #11 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
David, Another dumb question. Why do you need to carry one of these puppies when you ride?

Well, I really was not planning on using it while I ride. Usually I am riding somewhere and getting off. The bike is a commuter for me, not a weekend toy.

It's a basic piece of gear. Like a helmet, I hope I don't need it (except when the fedex man arrives with boxes of toys to open). But also like a helmet, sometimes it pays to be prepared.

I know this ain't the place for politics so I'll be happy to let sleeping dogs lie when it comes to touchy subjects like self defense.

David

post #12 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs_tx View Post
Well, I really was not planning on using it while I ride. Usually I am riding somewhere and getting off. The bike is a commuter for me, not a weekend toy.

It's a basic piece of gear. Like a helmet, I hope I don't need it (except when the fedex man arrives with boxes of toys to open). But also like a helmet, sometimes it pays to be prepared.

I know this ain't the place for politics so I'll be happy to let sleeping dogs lie when it comes to touchy subjects like self defense.

David
Hey, if someone thinks they are going to take my bike, and I don't have a gun on me, you better believe they are getting stabbed. There are just some things you don't mess with, and you don't have to be from Texas to agree with that.

-Joe
post #13 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Hell yeah.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Bikeless Rider

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooker_47 View Post
Hey, if someone thinks they are going to take my bike, and I don't have a gun on me, you better believe they are getting stabbed. There are just some things you don't mess with, and you don't have to be from Texas to agree with that.
+1 on that and i carry my knife at all times cause of my current residence and i can easily say its saved my a** in more then a few situations where if i were to not have it i would probably not be on the forum

-Pat McG
post #15 of 18 Old 01-26-2007, 07:08 PM

I Used A Piece Of Shrink Wrap Like For Wires. The Kind You Heat Up! Just Put A Piece Over The Metal Clip And Presto.. Now That Some Mcgiver **** There Lol..

post #16 of 18 Old 01-27-2007, 04:29 AM
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt919 View Post
I Used A Piece Of Shrink Wrap Like For Wires. The Kind You Heat Up! Just Put A Piece Over The Metal Clip And Presto.. Now That Some Mcgiver **** There Lol..
Brilliant!! Seriously man, that's a damn good idea. I'm going to pass it along to some of my buddies who are out there fighting the good fight. Thanks!

-Joe
post #17 of 18 Old 01-27-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Discen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

That is a good idea... I thought about that plastic dip stuff but that is even better.

David

post #18 of 18 Old 01-27-2007, 07:14 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
So far I have had two Targa tank covers. The first was smooth vinyl then I switched to the CF looking one after I had my Sargent seat recover to match. Been on the bike since a week after I bought it new. 20k miles and it has never been a problem. My bike is asphalt black so scratches are less of an issue. However, the cover has not caused any that I can see when I take it off to wash. I would recommend this product.

I will post pictures later if you want? I have pictures of both. I am working out some kinks on my web server so I don't have these pictures available right now. Any of my posts with pictures will temporarily be affected and I apologize.
I bought Cycho's smooth vinyl cover, and it looks and works great. No problems with it either. My bike is also asphalt black, though.

Rob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode