Synthetic Oil bad? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Synthetic Oil bad?

I recently did the break-in service on my 919 and while browsing the synthetic oil rack, a sales guy I am familiar with told me that synthetic oil in the 919 would prematurely burn out the clutch. Has anyone else heard anything like this? His story was the service guys told him the same thing when he changed the oil in his 600RR. If he was jerkin my chain it seems odd to push a customer away from the $10/qt oil to the $2/qt stuff. I went with regular ol Hondalube GN4 which I ran for years in my old bikes. Thought I would step up and treat the new baby a little better but was turned away. I know there are guys here running full synthetic. Just wanted your thoughts.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I am not sure why this is posted in the 919 section vs general.

Are other experiences from other bikes not valid?

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #3 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 PM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

He's a salesman, not an petro engineer. Motorcycle syn is fine for your clutch, auto syn may be bad for the clutch

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #4 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Friction modifyers --- these are the problems for clutches....

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #5 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Signifer

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

I know my Triumph Speed Triple calls for Mobil 1 4T Fully Synthetic ONLY. I know the manufacturer wouldn't recommend a type that is bad for the bikes, so I think this was just some misunderstood advice he had received.

Shawn

post #6 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

there are two types of synthetic oil one with and one with out molybdenum. You need the one with out for your 919. Some bikes do use with and i don't know the difference in the make up of the bike, but Synthetic oil especially Repsol race 10w40 works great in the 919 !!! just expensive unless you could take advantage of RC90's group buy

post #7 of 16 Old 10-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

In the past I've been told you do want to see some wear during break-in. The natural mother earth oil will assist with the birth of your new motor. After that you can put in the soul destroying artificial stuff to your cold heart's content.

post #8 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
In the past I've been told you do want to see some wear during break-in. The natural mother earth oil will assist with the birth of your new motor. After that you can put in the soul destroying artificial stuff to your cold heart's content.
And here I thought I was saving my soul since I was reducing the arab oil monkey on my back by going artificial.

Well, if no one here has "burned up a clutch" running synthetic then I think it's myth busted. My wife also thought it was strange that he would push us away from the expensive stuff. I figured he was just hoping the cheap oil would cause premature engine wear which would in turn lead to more service calls which puts money in the dealers pocket. As you can see, my cynicism overshadows my pessimism which only enhances my sarcasm.

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #9 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 AM
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Bottom line: No person can produce data. Its all hear say... I'd follow Danke's direction, seem to be the most common recommendation. My clutch works fine and I've been running syn since first 1000 miles, about 13,000 now. I'm not very gentle on the clutch.

post #10 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 07:09 AM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
there are two types of synthetic oil one with and one with out molybdenum. You need the one with out for your 919. Some bikes do use with and i don't know the difference in the make up of the bike, but Synthetic oil especially Repsol race 10w40 works great in the 919 !!! just expensive unless you could take advantage of RC90's group buy
What about Amsoil? I've noticed a couple of bike shops now advertising that they are authorized dealers. Amsoil is awesome, and I use it for my truck. but what about for the bike? Generally speaking, full syn is full syn, right? Whether it be Repsol, Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc.? I realize some will swear by one brand over the other, but I've heard some riders say that there is a difference between automobile oils vs. motorcycle oils (ie: justintyme73's comment).

post #11 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 07:23 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
Bottom line: No person can produce data. Its all hear say... I'd follow Danke's direction, seem to be the most common recommendation. My clutch works fine and I've been running syn since first 1000 miles, about 13,000 now. I'm not very gentle on the clutch.
Yup....I'm with Danke also. Let the rough edges wear smooth during break in and for a thou or two miles more then fill it wiuth (yes I said wiuth!) syn to keep those tolerances like factory.

BTW I want my four jugs of Repsol and a sticker to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My Hornet stickers are getting lonely!!!!

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #12 of 16 Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I use Mobile 1 SuperSillySyn car oil in my bike. If you check the chemical make up of this oil you'll see that the ammount of moly in it is very low. I've gone about 10,000 miles with this oil without problems. Over 20k on the clock with stock clutch.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #13 of 16 Old 10-03-2007, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
What about Amsoil? I've noticed a couple of bike shops now advertising that they are authorized dealers. Amsoil is awesome, and I use it for my truck. but what about for the bike? Generally speaking, full syn is full syn, right? Whether it be Repsol, Amsoil, Mobil 1, etc.? I realize some will swear by one brand over the other, but I've heard some riders say that there is a difference between automobile oils vs. motorcycle oils (ie: justintyme73's comment).
I have read that all "synthetic" is not the same. Something about the way they process group III oil allows manufacturers to call it synthetic when it really isn't. Group 4 full synthetic oil is what you want, such as AMSoil, Mobil1 and probably Repsol. I copied the links below from another post. Good info about oil and filters. Thanks for all the input guys.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Filters.html

Another one
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html

post #14 of 16 Old 10-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I had a H-D

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Amsoil

I use Amsoil, never had a problem. The 919 seems to shift smoother.
It also helps keep the heat down a bit.

post #15 of 16 Old 10-04-2007, 06:13 AM

oils

I use shell VSX 4 and have since about 3000k's (now have 19000) on it. and no pros whatsoever.

Just find one that works and stick to it.

post #16 of 16 Old 10-04-2007, 07:03 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Has anyone who changes their oil at regular intervals ever had engine failure due to the brand of oil??

*crickets*

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode