Sympathy and Empathy needed - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 1

Sympathy and Empathy needed

When lending your Scrambler to your buddy to get back into riding be sure to remind his 20 year old he is only to ride it with his Dad present. Seems the son was going to fast to stop when his buddies on their sport bikes hit the brakes and he laid it down to avoid hitting them... Imagine a drum brake not stopping fast enough...

He was wearing a helmet and no other protection. He will visit the burn unit tomorrow to for further work on the road rash.

The bike... It appears to have been a right sided slide and the turn signals, headlight rim and mirror etc.. are toast. I believe the tank was spared... I'll look closer when he is feeling like talking about it... and how he is going to fix it...

Glad it wasn't the 919 he probably would have been admitted tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Discen

I do have sympathy for ya, but as far as empathy goes....I don't think I'd loan a bike to a buddy who has a 20 year old son. So it's difficult for me to even imagine being in your shoes.

I will admit that I'm rather possessive of my stuff, especially my vehicles.

Lets hope the kid learned something valuable from it in addition to having him help make repairs.

2006 Honda 919
post #3 of 14 Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Sorry about your bike Doc, and glad the kid wasnt hurt worse. Hopefully he learned a lesson about wearing gear and makes things right.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-19-2008, 08:41 PM
The "Eagle" Has Landed

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Sorry to hear about your bike. We have all done stupid things in our twenties, at least I have. Sometimes, we have to learn hard lessons from our own experiences.

Hope it all works out well. Glad the kid was no hurt more.

post #5 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 02:26 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

How many times have we heard of some "rider" and I use that term loosly in this case, having to lay the bike down? Drum brakes or not, you're going to stop a whole lot quicker when the bike is on it's tires. Not to mention that you will still be on the bike, not sliding on asphalt. Anyone who has ever lowsided a bike will testify how far they slide on their side.

God and Nature play an awful trick on 20 year olds. Makes them think they're a whole smarter and tougher than they really are.

post #6 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Dr. J, Very sorry to hear about your friend's kid. Unfortunately life is packed with many painful lessons, and he's taken a huge lump at once. Please extend WT's best wishes for his speedy recovery! Of course the rule is if they break it they replace it as new. Sucks all the way around, thus why I don't loan mine out.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase

Father son time was my intention. They did a cafe bike like mine that came finished out of the shop two weeks ago. Thought they would be riding together. The rear bearings fell apart on his cafe so I guess he decided my scrambler was his to ride. I'll bet when they scrub that rash this morning that presumption will more of a regret. No one gets on the 919 unless they have lots of experience AND are currently riding. I don't think of the 919 in terms of an RR but on cold tires with a quick start the rear end loves to kick out to the right. Too much bike for the inexperienced.

post #8 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 AM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

loaner

Dr. J,
best wishes to the kid for a speedy recovery.
as for the 919 as NOT being a beginner bike, no damn way. ive personally had three 900 series bikes, this one being the powerhouse of the bunch, the other 2 being the old (not bad though) CB900 customs. the last one i restored from a basket-case to near new. first thing my brothers want to do is ride my new bikes, the 919 is the exception, they didnt/wont ride this one, period. im rambleing sorry, like the rest of these fellers, im kinda religous about my bike. nuff said.

Bill

post #9 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 06:18 AM
I Love Parallel Twins

Doc, I'm glad that the boy is gonna be alright so that he can get to work in order to pay you back. But if you lent it to your buddy, then I would assume that he will accept full responsibility for his son's liabilities.

As crazy as some of the lawsuits are these days, I would hope that you won't be held responsible for all the younger man's pain and suffering since it was your bike. Ever since the old lady spilling hot coffee on herself won her millions of dollars from a business that gave her nothing but what she had ordered, HOT COFFEE, nothing surprises me much anymore with what lawyers do, but I still get outraged from time to time when the verdict is read.
Good luck with your bike's rebuild and your friendship with your riding pardner.

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #10 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 AM

Hope he makes a quick recovery.

Kind of odd how every crash story I hear from a new rider starts out with "I was riding with <insert names here> down some twisty back roads and lost control around a turn...." The want to keep up with more experienced riders has caused a number of accidents in my circle of friends...

Again - hope he gets fixed up soon.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Vintage Honda

Awards Showcase

I appreciate the thoughts - His Dad is my best buddy and my wife is my attorney.... I am only waiting for the I am sorry - We'll see what happens - Oh - they didn't have to scrub the 3rd degree rash today - Maybe he can help me get it back in the shop this weekend...

My 919 has become more sacred..

post #12 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 10:49 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Hope he heals right with a minimum of scarring. Odds are, this is a tough one for him but prolly won't do it again. keep us posted.

post #13 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. J View Post
Maybe he can help me get it back in the shop this weekend...
Can we help find some parts, or good deals on parts?

post #14 of 14 Old 08-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

here's hoping he learned something...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode