Swing arm blocks - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 05-31-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Discen

Swing arm blocks

Hey guys. I had someone working on making 6 inch swing arm blocks, he has them in 3d design, but called me yesterday with concerns. He was thinking that the stress may be too much, and was thinking going the route of a new swing arm would be better. I understand his worry about liability since the 919 swing arm is not way over built like the 1000rr or GSX1300r's, and if he is going to make me a fully custom swing arm and not charge me an arm and a leg I will probably just do that, but I was wanting to go the cheap route. What do you guys think.

And, before we start the "why do you need a longer swing arm on a 919" stuff, push about 9.5 psi into your engine with forged pistons and 4 degree timing retarding and see what happens in first gear anywhere, and in 2-4 on a non flat road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Tesserarius

If they are properly engineered they should be no problem!

post #3 of 16 Old 05-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Imaginifer

Just a thought, but have you tried a larger front sprocket? It may also help to have a longer chain to keep the wheel as far back as possible without going to the extreme of lengthening your swingarm......I'm running 8psi at the moment and it seems fine on standard gearing with my cbr600rr swingarm.......Oh yeah, it will wheelie in the first 3 gears off the throttle fine but i find it just needs a little more throttle control to tame the beast

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/woodyeee/IMAG0306.jpg
post #4 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 AM
Pilus Posterior

You drag racing it?

If not, without being rude, it still won't be as much of a handful as any of the late model liter bikes pumping out 160-180 hp.

Or a Speed Triple, much-O fun on the rear wheel

post #5 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Discen

I am planning on dragging it, so that is why I want the longer swing arm. And I agree, it is definitely not a liter bike, but still a crazy amount of fun.
As far as changing sprockets and more throttle control, if I wanted less acceleration I would just turn the boost down. I want to try to get the power to the ground, not lessen or change the power.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 05:37 AM
Gets censored

Well if the guy making it has concerns i say stay away. what about lowering it? if your draggin it you dont care about corners?

Making power like that and you wanna drag it youre probally gonna get end up with a new swinger and lowering it, Pm 'bucky' our resident 9er drag racin yahoo. Im sure he has more than a little info to share.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

You need to talk to Bucky. He's stretched his. I'll try to find a picture.

EDIT: Here are some photos of his bike. He may have a totally new swing arm...

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 AM
Gets censored

BWASAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA, gasp. the honda civic bike hauler is an amazing feat in git-r-dun engineering. is he from alabama?

post #9 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 08:28 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
BWASAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA, gasp. the honda civic bike hauler is an amazing feat in git-r-dun engineering. is he from alabama?
Alaska...and if memory serves, the car was just sitting around so it saved him a bundle in buying a truck. I bet he still gets really good gas mileage with the civic.

post #10 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 08:44 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I think I peed a little from laughing so hard at that civic. At least he stuck with a Honda.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Your laughing at Bucky's Civic....have you noticed the turkey-pan that he uses as a belly pan on the 919?

I love it myself, Practical engineering!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #12 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Discen

I know Bucky has a custom swing arm that was really expensive and has a hard tail to lower it. I don't want a drag built bike, I still want to be able to ride it every day and hit some good twisties. Bucky did 8 inches, which I think will be cutting it close to still being able to ride a tight corner, but since I never ride the bike to its limits I think a 6 inch extension will be the best of both worlds. And, I am definitely not in for a hard tail. . .

post #13 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
Your laughing at Bucky's Civic....have you noticed the turkey-pan that he uses as a belly pan on the 919?

I love it myself, Practical engineering!

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoso View Post
I know Bucky has a custom swing arm that was really expensive and has a hard tail to lower it. I don't want a drag built bike, I still want to be able to ride it every day and hit some good twisties. Bucky did 8 inches, which I think will be cutting it close to still being able to ride a tight corner, but since I never ride the bike to its limits I think a 6 inch extension will be the best of both worlds. And, I am definitely not in for a hard tail. . .
07 Honda 919 Hornet CB900 CB900F SWINGARM SWING ARM: eBay Motors (item 370346414970 end time Jun-06-10 07:15:34 PDT)

Maybe you could buy this for under $100 and cut sections out to make yours longer. Then all you have to pay is a welder...right?

post #15 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Discen

I may end up cutting up some swing arms. I would have to pay a welder and someone to heat treat it to fix the damage done by the welding. I talked to my swing arm guy today and he said it would be like $900 for a new custom swing arm, but I can get a used one for cheap and he said he will weld and everything for pretty cheap.

post #16 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Gets censored

Well since youre looking into a different swinger may as well get one thats stronger. Woodee used a 600rr and ive seen a 900rr used as well both have a support member that would be of benefit to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode