SW-Motech....Alu-Rack? Anyone have one? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 11-28-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

SW-Motech....Alu-Rack? Anyone have one?

Just sold my Ventura Rack....... Thinking about buying the SW-Motech ALU-RACK, and am considering using a soft tail bag with it........

BTW - The reason I'm going this route, instead of the GIVI hardcases is 2 fold..... 1) COST. The wolfman stuff cost me around $200 for both rear bags....I also have owned other stuff of theirs and it is BOMB PROOF stuff..... 2) I'm running SATO rearsets. So no side rack mount points on the passenger pegs. and also 3) The stuff comes on or off in minutes......

Anyone using the ALU-RACK? With Soft LUGGAGE?

Here is the rack on the Honda 919....

Here is an adapter I found for the ALU-RACK designed for softbags....I have an e-mail out to TwistedThrottle...but, this item currently isn't listed on their website.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-28-2010, 10:44 PM
Aquilifer

I haven't used that rack, but I like it as an alternative for the full GIVI rack.

As an owner of a GIVI hard bag, I'd likely go with this ( or similar ) rack and purchase the generic GIVI baseplate to bolt onto it.

I'm not a side-bag kinda guy, particularly if they're not bolted on. I don't want sidebags that flap around or, worse, can tilt and shift. The stories of soft sidebags sliding into the rear wheel are few and far, but that still is enough to cast doubt if I was riding with them.

The lockable softbag as you show above seems like a good alternative if hardboxes aren't your thing.

post #3 of 9 Old 11-29-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

..... I wish there was a side rack mounting solution that didn't require mounting the side racks to the OEM passenger pegs.....

Otherwise, I'd just go with a set of used Givi side cases and be done with it.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
Anyone using the ALU-RACK? With Soft LUGGAGE?

Here is the rack on the Honda 919....

Here is an adapter I found for the ALU-RACK designed for softbags....I have an e-mail out to TwistedThrottle...but, this item currently isn't listed on their website.

Yeah, I have the ALU-Rack on my '07 919. It's a little pricey for what you get, but fits well. I've not mounted anything on it though, so can't advise you there.

Even though it the write up says it can't be used with a Corbin seat, I have that combo on my bike. It just requires a little modification where the rack touches the rear sides of the seat. Not a big deal, really.

If you have the stock seat, you're good to go.

I've got the SW Motech quick release side case racks too and I'm pleased with the whole setup.

RB

post #5 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Looks like I'm a go with this setup....... was searching E-bay and found a guy that has an FJR1300 ALU-Rack for sale --- within the auction, he also had this 'soft luggage' plate. He was willing to sell just the plate.

I just got really lucky in finding a used one.

I found out that this plate is backordered until February. (and its an import item) Finally found it listed by getting the link via. e-mail from Twisted Throttle..... I've tried and tried to find this item with the search feature on their website and without this link, I can't get to it. Think maybe they have this item 'hidden' because it is temporarily unavailable.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5417

post #6 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Heres the bag I have coming..... its the Wolfman Beta bag.... it has mini saddle bags on the side..... Should fit the ALU-Rack quick release soft luggage plate perfectly.

Here's my setup now..... just sold the Ventura Rack, and now have a new rear shock and SATO rearsets...

post #7 of 9 Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

I also have the 'WolfTail' coming..... I'm hoping I can run both the WolfTail and the Beta bag together......One bag will be on the passenger seat, and the other will be on the rack. Haven't figured out where each bag will sit......(either seat or Rack/Tail)

I'm also thinking about maybe picking up a pair of R&G exhaust sliders for my pipe to keep any fabric from hitting the Arrow can.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I bought the SW Motech Alu Rack to use with my Givi top case. I also have the Givi rack but found it to be incompatible with my Leo Vince can mounting bolts. The new rack with Givi quick release plate works great and looks much cleaner. I also have a Corbin seat which will not drop into place, as mentioned, without trimming the rear corners. It's very close but won't go in by about an 1/8 of an inch. I'll sort that later. For now I really like this rack setup. Here are some pics that show it with and without the Givi plate. The rack uses three quick release cams for the different adapter plates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (266.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 010.jpg (271.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (212.4 KB, 16 views)

post #9 of 9 Old 04-02-2011, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Princeps Prior

Looks great! Still absolutely love mine......very good investment!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode