sv650 help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 31 Old 05-17-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

sv650 help

Any sv650 owners out here? I just got an '02 for my younger brother as his first "real" bike. It is absolutely awesome and looks like it just came off the showroom floor, but the shifter is bent. Is there a forum I should direct him to or does anyone here have some resources? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty
Any sv650 owners out here? I just got an '02 for my younger brother as his first "real" bike. It is absolutely awesome and looks like it just came off the showroom floor, but the shifter is bent. Is there a forum I should direct him to or does anyone here have some resources? Thanks.
Got a pic? Can it be straightened in a vice?

You could try Ron Ayers to look at the fiche online.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #3 of 31 Old 05-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I think the 650 uses parts from the GSX-R. Might check ebay for those parts (but double-check me first).

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #4 of 31 Old 05-17-2006, 07:55 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:

I owned an 03 for a while. The best resource is http://forum.svrider.com for discussion and www.svrider.com for tips.

You can bend the shifter back using a pipe if it isn't too bad... if you need a new one then www.bikebandit.com, www.oneidasuzuki.com, and the aforementioned ron ayers.

I liked the SV650, but the seat on it was torture! Good luck with it, svrider should be able to answer ANYTHING about the SV

post #5 of 31 Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I think I actually can bend it back, but if not, I know where to go. The bike is a whole lot of fun, especially in the twisties. I just put some new Metzeler M-1's on it and the damn thing dances through the curves. Easiest bike I've ever ridden. As for the seat, I put a Second Look seat on it for the long trip we are taking. He hasn't even seen it yet, but I know he is gonna be psyched. Thanks again guys!

post #6 of 31 Old 05-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
... I just put some new Metzeler M-1's on it and the damn thing dances through the curves. Easiest bike I've ever ridden.
Just about effortless to turn that thing with new tires. Careful with the throttle though, I know the 03 had a really touchy throttle and until I got used to it the engine braking scared the poo out of me a few times. Maybe the 02 (carbureted) ones aren't as touchy.

post #7 of 31 Old 05-18-2006, 05:30 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I've got a buddy with an 03 and another with an 01, the 01 is waaaaay smoother on the throttle. The '03 is a good argument for a powercommander.

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #8 of 31 Old 05-18-2006, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

I have to say the throttle id pretty damned smooth...I am a big fan! Don't get me wrong, there is a sweet torque output in whatever gear pulling out of a hard turn, but it gives you as much as you ask for, no more, no less. Obviously it doesn't have the hp or pull that my 919 does, but it doesn't care what gear you are in. I need a twin! Never gonna replace my blackbetty (read 919, I am a loser, I named her), but maybe get her a little sister one of these days...did someone say RC51???

post #9 of 31 Old 05-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, there is a sweet torque output in whatever gear pulling out of a hard turn, but it gives you as much as you ask for, no more, no less. ...
Maybe I should have gotten a 1st gen SV650. The 03 was nice enough, but I only had it 6 weeks and knew it wasn't "IT". Does the 02 pull good below 4k? Mine didn't impress me at all unless I had it reved to 4k and 6k was better. Also at 60mph, it was turning around 5k rpm and the bars buzzed enough that it would put my hand to sleep on longer rides.

post #10 of 31 Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

I happen to love carbed bikes, but I think that is just because it is simpler and I can fix it without relying on mechanics or computers. For the 03, try a powercommander to smooth it out a little. It just takes a little getting used to, the difference. My 919 is EFI and I love it, but it is just different. As for the pull, it is still a 650 so I am not sure what you are looking for, but it is awesome (again, keep in mind, for a 650cc). Can't beat a twin in the twisties (unless it is a track, not the open road). Also try a smaller front sprocket. It will never pull like a 100+hp inline four, but when you drop into a turn and you aren't sure if you are in the right gear, you just turn the throttle and it's like someone grabs you by the ass and slings you out of the turn. It's as much fun as you can have outside of the bedroom. Like I said, it isn't a drag bike and it never will be. It's just loads of fun. Don't give up on the 650, just appreciate it for what it is...or get a 1000. It's a bike meant for riding, and riding everywhere, all the time, not just on the track. As for the bars, swap out for some renthals. They work wonders. you could also try a barsnake to decrease vibes. I am gonna do one of those two for this one because we are heading out on a 3.5k mile trip. I'll let you know how it goes.

post #11 of 31 Old 05-19-2006, 06:00 AM

I hope to pick mine up in the next week or so....its a 00' SV 650. Pretty rashed but it will be fun!!

post #12 of 31 Old 05-19-2006, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Mine is an '00 as well. Enjoy it, it's hard not to.

post #13 of 31 Old 05-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
.... I need a twin! Never gonna replace my blackbetty (read 919, I am a loser, I named her), but maybe get her a little sister one of these days...did someone say RC51???
That would be a big sister!

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #14 of 31 Old 05-19-2006, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Technically, yes bigger, but she is the queen bee in my garage and that isn't going to change. I do love those RC's though!

post #15 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Tirone

I have a 2000 as well. I'll admit Suzuki hit the nail on the head.

post #16 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Off Topic

RxRC - I'm quite distrubed by the picture in your post. You must be a Mud Duck. all I can say is NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPS Men and Women. GO BUCKY!

post #17 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Hey shadows, where you located in cheese land? I saw another 919 last season in Kettle Moraine and haven't found out who it was yet.

post #18 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Blackbetty - I'm based in Milwaukee, the gang i ride with does a lot of rides out east of madison. we have to blast out east to get to some twisties. my folks are in the South Kettle Moraine area so I'm down there occasionally. after July last season the 9er was all black, powdercoated everything. before July had a nice and ugly yellow F4i front fender. I've olny ran across 2 or 3 919's up here. I love the fact that i can go to an Event like the Super bike races at Road America and only see one or two other 9ers. You'll see a couple thousand KZ-1000 and a few hundred Monsters, but the 919 is a rare beauty!

post #19 of 31 Old 05-24-2006, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Shadows
I love the fact that i can go to an Event like the Super bike races at Road America and only see one or two other 9ers. You'll see a couple thousand KZ-1000 and a few hundred Monsters, but the 919 is a rare beauty!
Amen

post #20 of 31 Old 05-25-2006, 05:47 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Hey shadows, you headed for the superbike race at Road America next weekend? My bro and I will be there.

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #21 of 31 Old 05-25-2006, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Shadows, it was early september and I do recall the bike being all blacked out so it probably was you. We were both movin pretty quick though. Headin out past Madison is a must around here. I head out almost every weekend. Just not the next few. Finishing up some things at school. I'll be back on track to ride there third week of June. I will look you up next time I head out. You go to blackhawk at all?

post #22 of 31 Old 05-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Bock - going up on Thrusday. if you haven't been to the Flat track races on friday night it's a blast. We're staying in some mobile homes at the Camp ground across the street from the track. i think we have a group of about 12 guys going. e-mail me and I'll give you digits so we can have drink at seapkins.

post #23 of 31 Old 05-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Betty - I haven't done the track thing yet.

Last year we were doing a ride out west and hooked up with a guy from IL on a 919. he had a HUGE windshield and a hardcase strapped onto the tail. he rode hard though and really pushed it down hard in the twisties. he had some track experience. We haven't seen him since.

I'll let both you and Bock know the next time we're planning a big ride.

Tuesdays are always a good night around here, Two Wheel Tuesdays, lot of standing around looking at bikes, racing thru town to our favaorite Cafe to watch the Races, get grub and drinks. nice little get together, but boring if your looking to get some miles and twisties under the rubber. There was probably 200 bikes this last tuesday. All those Loud, Slow, Shinny things come out of the garage if the weather is nice. Fun to look at how much money they spend on their rides to go that slow. anyways... There's always room for more true riders. Feel free to E-mail me contact info.

post #24 of 31 Old 05-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Shadows
RxRC - I'm quite distrubed by the picture in your post. You must be a Mud Duck. all I can say is NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPS Men and Women. GO BUCKY!
Never heard of the mud ducks. Are they AHL?

Men and women? Well, the sun's gotta shine on a dogs ass someday. Oh yeah, and to say something on topic here, I still have that 2000 SV.

post #25 of 31 Old 05-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

still of topic, but..

NATIONAL CHAMPS

post #26 of 31 Old 05-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

post #27 of 31 Old 05-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

post #28 of 31 Old 05-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Back on topic - My 919 Kicks Ass!

post #29 of 31 Old 05-26-2006, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

uh, yeah, so how bout them sv650's? Nevermind, this is fun to watch...got my answer already anyway.

post #30 of 31 Old 05-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Naked in Cheese Land

Awards Showcase
Donation 

so sorry gentlemen. i'm not a thread-jacker, just needed to protect my Bucky.

post #31 of 31 Old 05-26-2006, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

It's cool man.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode