Superhawk shock on 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Superhawk shock on 919

Well I'm back after months of silence.
The RC-51 went away this morning to a new home so it's time to start farkling on the 919. Front is great thanks to the F4i transplant but the rear shock still sucks. I don't want to spend 900 bucks on a new shock and used high performance shocks for the 919 are a rare find. The guy I sold the 51 to works at a Honda dealership and said that the rear shock from a superhawk will bolt up to a 919. Anyone done this? Anyone have any info?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 09:30 AM
UJM
Banned

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Not me

I liked the stock, better than I required for what little riding style I had.

Good luck!

post #3 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've got a Superhawk and a 919 but never looked at the possibility. Isn't the 919 non-linked and progressive and the Superhawk linked and linear? They're in the next room but I'm too lazy to go look. Waiting on some Superbowl folk to show up.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #4 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 09:57 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

just to begin with, vtr1000f is longer from eye to eye, 346mm vs 919s 283mm.
I'd say the guy was wrong

post #5 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Yes the superhawk has a linkage and the 919 is a direct bolt on. Was thinking I could get a superhawk shock resprung cheaper than buying something like an ohlins or penske.

post #6 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 AM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

It's really hard to match shocks from a different bike.
I think the closest to 919 is Duc 696 Sach shock, it's only 10mm longer with 8mm longer stroke. It doesn't have a remote bladder, it's built in. However, you will most likely will have to respring it anyway, spring is only at 657lbs due to Duc being 100lbs lighter than 919. And if you anywhere close to 200lbs, you will most likely will have to revalve it.

post #7 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I believe that an F3 shock is the same length eye to eye as the 9er (dependeing on year). The spring is about an 850lbs. I know I read somewhere here that it had been swapped before.

Spoiler:

post #8 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Not sure how it turned out, but it looks like the easiest, cheapest direct swap yet. I was thinking of doing it, but going to try out an '05 rear shock first.

https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...ring-swap.html

Spoiler:

post #9 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

F3 shock swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
I believe that an F3 shock is the same length eye to eye as the 9er (dependeing on year). The spring is about an 850lbs. I know I read somewhere here that it had been swapped before.
Yep, I did the swap with a F3 shock I got from the junkyard for $60, and a spring I got from Traxxion Dynamics for $100. Tried to just swap the spring on to the original shock, but that shock is mildly conical, so the F3 shock works well as an upgrade. Plus, the F3 shock has both compression and rebound adjustments, as well as height, and I always appreciate more adjustability. I think the F3 may benefit slightly from a re-valve, but only slightly, and valved like it is, it's still miles better than the stocker. If anyone knows of a place to get the F3 re-valved please let me know, I'd be interested in this final tweek.

You could look back thru some of my old threads to find more info, but I quit adding more info to the thread because of the onslaught of angry people giving me crap for being able to think/do for myself. So be prepared for those to step in and make their insecurities known, just see 'em for what they are...

Pics: https://www.wristtwisters.com/album.php?albumid=176

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
2004 Honda 919 Silver and Black w/red accents
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Buell M2 shield - plasti dip black
Givi Crash bars
Dynojet PCIII, Custom Akrapovic map
Akrapovic GSXR 750 Exhaust, Shorty Carbon fiber Low mount
Custom weld job on OEM header, to enable use of center stand and GSXR exhaust
VFR front fender, re-shaped and CF wrapped
Seargent seat w/ gel insert
Custom LED Rear lights w/ Vizi-tech flasher
Competition Works Fender Eliminator, modified
Front 3-way LED Turn Signals flushmount via cbr1000r
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Michelin Pilot Road 3 - New @ 19940 8/10/11 190/55r17 rear
Dyna Beads for tire balancing
17t / 44t Sprockets, 520 conversion from LDH
New All-balls bearings thru-out 6/2012
Piaa horns 400 & 500 hertz
Ohlins rear shock from an F3, Re-Valved/Sprung- By Pro Pilot Suspension
F4i Forks, custom sprung/sealed/valved, Plasti-dipped Black
ASV shorty clutch and front brake levers - Black W/Red Adj.
Tech-Spec custom tank Pads
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Custom Handle Bars with Grip Heaters and OEM hidden switch, Hi/Lo heat
FuzeBlocks FZ-1 Power Distribution
Shorai Battery
F2P garage door opener wired to brake switch
Hydraulic rear brake switch
RC51 front brakes SP1, with 10 button rotors
Buell Ulysses Dropped Foot Peg conversion
Powdercoated: 22+ parts
etc, etc,
post #10 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

I had actually been looking for the posts on the f3 shock but couldn't find them. That might just be what I end up doing.

post #11 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM
`

Awards Showcase

f3 shock is a linked design shock and I think it's like 292mm.
as far as adjustability goes, 04+ 919 has the same adjustability as f3.

post #12 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 12:07 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Most importantly, it looks like f3 shock has slightly smaller stroke than 919.

post #13 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Mis-Information...Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
f3 shock is a linked design shock and I think it's like 292mm.
as far as adjustability goes, 04+ 919 has the same adjustability as f3.
As always, the misinformation is beginning to bloom, so I suggest that all those with your own brains do a little research and ignore the B.S. (f3 shock also has compression adjustment, original 919 does not)

Here's a link to my old thread, and there are others that I found while doing my own research, so get creative with your searches, I found the info, and so can you...

https://wristtwisters.com/naked-bikes...ring-swap.html

This swap has been done many times before, mostly by Honda Factory techs on there own bikes, many of whom inspired me to go ahead with my own swap, ignoring the yahoo's with misinformation and alterior motives...

I'll encourage you to think for yourselves, and know that what one man can do, another man can do...and this has been done...sooo...go for it...have fun...and enjoy the experience

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Givi Crash bars
6-Spoke wheel conversion ( 900rr-rear / F3-front ) Powdercoated white, Plasti-dipped black
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Shorai Battery
etc, etc,
post #14 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
`

Awards Showcase

PS, I just looked it up and stroke on 919 is only 0.5mm longer.

mntnceguy, looked and your swap post, thanks. I'm just curious what numbers you got with f3 shock?
could you give us some info: your weight and spring rate you got. What numbers you got for free sag and ride height and at how much preload?

post #15 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 12:55 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnceguy View Post
As always, the misinformation is beginning to bloom, so I suggest that all those with your own brains do a little research and ignore the B.S. (f3 shock also has compression adjustment, original 919 does not)
I'm sorry I missed compression adjustment part. yes, 919 04+shock doesn't have it.
Also, is there any other BS in my info? Like I said, I looked in your post and there are no facts/numbers. All I read so far is how great f3 shock is and how great number of honda techs are replacing them into 919s etc

I'm really sorry but I think you took my response the wrong way. I'm sure you did more research on f3 shock than I did it past 30min.

Could you please share some info with us? What is it's stroke? Is it linked/ design or it's the same as 919s? And if you could provide some info I asked you in the previous thread, that would be extremely helpful

thanks in advance

post #16 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
PS, I just looked it up and stroke on 919 is only 0.5mm longer.

mntnceguy, looked and your swap post, thanks. I'm just curious what numbers you got with f3 shock?
could you give us some info: your weight and spring rate you got. What numbers you got for free sag and ride height and at how much preload?
Well, most of those numbers will depend on each user, as I'm sure you already know. For my application, I was about 255bs, so Traxxion sent me a 975kg spring, if I remember right, it's been a while ago now, but it was a little light for my weight, but I'm losing some so it'll be perfect by this spring (lost 40 so far). As far as sag and ride height, I don't remember, I simply followed the calculations for setting up suspensions I found while researching, which got me in the ballpark, then I fine tuned it for my riding style. Now when I go thru a bumpy corner, or brake at a light, the bike squats perfectly, the rear doesn't wag in corners, and my comfort and control levels are much improved. I also rebuilt my front forks with the proper springs and oil at the same time, also sourced from Traxxion. I did myself what others pay $1600-$2000 for, and all told it cost me about $300 for front and rear suspension customization. Now if I added in research and learning time to the cost...well...but I can say I understand it all, and I have the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that those who pay someone else do not...PRICELESS...to me anyway...but I'm a do-it-yourselfer

Exact numbers for suspension set-up will be bike and rider specific, but info on set-up can be found in places like You tube, Traxxion has a video available, and time consuming research (if your patient and good at searching) are all available.

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Givi Crash bars
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Shorai Battery
etc, etc,
post #17 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 PM
`

Awards Showcase

That's right there is some serious BS I hope you take it the right way dude. As long as you are happy with it, that's all what matters

Quote:
Well, most of those numbers will depend on each user, as I'm sure you already know. For my application, I was about 255bs, so Traxxion sent me a 975kg spring, if I remember right, it's been a while ago now, but it was a little light for my weight, but I'm losing some so it'll be perfect by this spring (lost 40 so far). As far as sag and ride height, I don't remember, I simply followed the calculations for setting up suspensions I found while researching, which got me in the ballpark, then I fine tuned it for my riding style. Now when I go thru a bumpy corner, or brake at a light, the bike squats perfectly, the rear doesn't wag in corners, and my comfort and control levels are much improved. I also rebuilt my front forks with the proper springs and oil at the same time, also sourced from Traxxion. I did myself what others pay $1600-$2000 for, and all told it cost me about $300 for front and rear suspension customization. Now if I added in research and learning time to the cost...well...but I can say I understand it all, and I have the sense of satisfaction and accomplishment that those who pay someone else do not...PRICELESS...to me anyway...but I'm a do-it-yourselfer

Exact numbers for suspension set-up will be bike and rider specific, but info on set-up can be found in places like You tube, Traxxion has a video available, and time consuming research (if your patient and good at searching) are all available.

post #18 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I'm sorry I missed compression adjustment part. yes, 919 04+shock doesn't have it.
Also, is there any other BS in my info? Like I said, I looked in your post and there are no facts/numbers. All I read so far is how great f3 shock is and how great number of honda techs are replacing them into 919s etc

I'm really sorry but I think you took my response the wrong way. I'm sure you did more research on f3 shock than I did it past 30min.

Could you please share some info with us? What is it's stroke? Is it linked/ design or it's the same as 919s? And if you could provide some info I asked you in the previous thread, that would be extremely helpful

thanks in advance
Sorry if I was jumpy, I've just gotten to where I am skiddish about sharing on this sight, been jumped on to many times for sharing here, just look at the ridulous responses in the thread I linked to earlier, so for the most part I just research, do the project, and keep it to myself. I've done so much to the bike now, just look at my signature for a list. All projects that i've researched here and other places, and done by myself. I am a mechanic by trade, but with tools and time I think most folks could do.

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Givi Crash bars
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Shorai Battery
etc, etc,
post #19 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 01:28 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Sorry if I was jumpy, I've just gotten to where I am skiddish about sharing on this sight, been jumped on to many times for sharing here, just look at the ridulous responses in the thread I linked to earlier, so for the most part I just research, do the project, and keep it to myself. I've done so much to the bike now, just look at my signature for a list. All projects that i've researched here and other places, and done by myself. I am a mechanic by trade, but with tools and time I think most folks could do.
I'm glad we are cool

post #20 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 01:39 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Absolutely Cool!!!

P.S. I too thought the numbers your looking for would be important to have before beginning the project. But... Came to find out that you only need a few things...

1 F3 shock
2 correct spring ( which Traxxion will figure out for you when ya call'em)
3 instructions on suspension set-up

Of course tools and a can do attitude are also important...I'm betting y'all knew that already tho...LOL

Good luck, and Happy modding!!

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Givi Crash bars
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Shorai Battery
etc, etc,
post #21 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Would you be able to do a bit more of a write up? Just would like some more info. Like nubers for your spring, year of rear shock, ect. From what I read online there are 2 different lengths of shocks for the F3.

Spoiler:

post #22 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Hippie Tinkerer

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
Would you be able to do a bit more of a write up? Just would like some more info. Like nubers for your spring, year of rear shock, ect. From what I read online there are 2 different lengths of shocks for the F3.
Hey bud, I'm not tryin to be a killjoy here, I'm totally happy that others are interested and doing things for yourselfs, but the info is all there for y'all. Unfortunatly my computers HD crashed 2 weeks ago, so most of my specs and pics went with it. But like I said, I got all the info needed last year with research. And I also have to say I asked the same questions you do, but eventually found that I was just nervous about trying something new, and that all the info I needed was already there for me. Just learn about suspension set up, get a shock and spring, and go for it.

As far as there being different lengths of shocks, that's the first I've heard of that. You sure your not thinking of the F4i and the F3? Those are different years of the same bike, and are different lengths. The F4i is longer, and would not be a good fit in my opinion. But the F3 shock is the same length as the 919, and fits well, with no stroke or length problems that I have found.

Good luck, and just go for it, it's not nearly as complicated as I thought it might be when I tried it, but of course you don't know that till ya do it. So take it from me, this is an easy and worthwhile swap. You can actually do it without swapping the spring if you wanted to, I just had the spring already from trying to put it on my original 919 shock, which you could also do if you can find new spring collars to hold it on. I was just to lazy to spend the time to find the collars, and I wanted the extra adjutability of the F3 shock.

I'll state it one more time...Here's the only things you need...everyhing else kinda takes care of itself

1 F3 shock
2 Spring sized for your weight (optional really)
3 Research suspension set-up
4 Balls to try something new, regardless of the learning curve

Good luck!!!!!

Build List in Spoiler
Spoiler:

SOLD SOLD SOLD

When Sold:
599 Headlight
Koso Gauges DB-02r
GiPro gear indicator
Givi Crash bars
Napoleon bar end mirrors
SW-Motech center stand
Shorai Battery
etc, etc,
post #23 of 26 Old 02-07-2010, 03:05 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Why would an RC 51 owner that just sold his RC, want to dick around with some reworked junk shock for his remaining 919? Bite the bullet, get an Ohlins and be done with it. BTW, skip the farkles. They're just trashy looking.

post #24 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Why would an RC 51 owner that just sold his RC, want to dick around with some reworked junk shock for his remaining 919? Bite the bullet, get an Ohlins and be done with it. BTW, skip the farkles. They're just trashy looking.
Because I know that no matter what I do to the 919 it will never be the RC. I probably will not keep the 9er so it makes no sense to put an expensive shock on it just to take a loss on it in a few months. I've already transplanted the front end from an f4i and although it made the front suspension worlds better it highlighted how bad the shock is. While I know that a reworked f3 shock is no match for an Ohlins or Penske I would hardly call it junk. I put a GSXR shock on my SV and it made all the difference in the world, even if it didn't cost $800.00

post #25 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 09:23 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

One of the first thing guys did to F3s was replace the shock. How old are F3 shocks, nowdays? 15 years?

If you're not going to keep the 919 for a couple more months, why are you going to stick any money at all into it?

Good luck getting something for nothing so you won't lose any money on it in a couple of months.

post #26 of 26 Old 02-08-2010, 02:21 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Just to sum this thread, those numbers won't depend on each user like someone said above, they depend if your suspension is setup correctly.

120lbs or 220lbs rider, the sag and ride height needs to be the same (within a
tolerance). That's when suspension adjustability comes in place. And in the case of 919, you will most likely run out of adjustability range, that's when reworking suspension comes in place.

So before you jump into replacing anything, you should know why you need to replacing and where. Those numbers will show you just that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode