Super Duke Review - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Super Duke Review

Rode Sniper's Super Duke this weekend for about 30 miles consisting mostly of wide sweepers and about a mile of tighter bits...

The bike is in mostly stock form save for the FMS exhaust and tune.

The Super Duke feels quite similar to my Speed Triple. The ergos feel very similar to the 919 making it a slightly more comfortable all day ride compared to the Speed Triple. The pegs feel about 1" lower than mine and the bars are about 1" higher. The seat leaves alot to be desired as it has a distinctly humped shape. The grips on the handlebars stood out to me because of the shape. They were fatter in the middle giving a very comfortable grip. Power, while down from my bike, was very user friendly. The "hit" came as low as 3,000 rpm and continued to build all the way up to 8,000 rpm. The brakes were very good as was the suspension. This bike is incredibly light and narrow. It feels like a scalpel to the Speed Triple hammer. Thin, light this bike made corners an easy affair flicking in and out without so much as a wiggle. It tracks very well in the corners making you feel invincible.

The only down side to the bike is the exhaust note. The bike sounds incredible when riding behind or next to it but while on it, the exhaust sounds like a wet fart emanating from a very large, fat man. Perhaps a low mount exhaust would fix this...

This is the first bike I have ridden that I would not have been disappointed in purchasing instead of the Speed Triple. It has this incredibly visceral ride that makes you feel involved in every aspect of the ride. The feel of the bike is just right without making it uncomfortable...

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Milites Gregarius

we want pix!

post #3 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #4 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Tesserarius

How tall are you?

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #5 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 12:42 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

man, fz one day, duke the other.............. can we hang out with you?

post #6 of 11 Old 06-21-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I am 6' 1" about 230 athletic build...

Both on the same day. Two different guys who were nice enough to swap...

post #7 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 11:08 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The little chin fairing behind the front wheel, in front of the crankshaft cover houses the battery, starter relay, horn, and I think the rectifier.

Above the chin fairing is the oil tank. The LC8 engine is dry sump. Checking the oil is via a site tube along the laft side of the oil tank. The oil cap is somewhat buried under the "body work" along the right side of the bike between the tank and raiator. Having to remove that panel to add oil is probably the worst feature of the bike. It requires removal of 4 screws and is a big PITA. I get around that by having put a small length of hose onto my funnel. The cap is still kind of hard to reach compared to a Honda, but adding oil is fairly easy with the funnel/hose. The bike uses little or no oil.

The evap can was under the seat. Mine was replaced with a little filter. My tools go where the evap can used to be. The elecrtical relays are under the seat also.

the fuel tank is some sort of "plastic".

The bank angle sensor is behind the mask.

You don't realise how nice the hydraulic clutch is until you get on a bike with a cable.

The foot pags are as high as on my CBR600RR. It's just the seat is higher, making for more leg room. The bike was built for large Austrians.

I do not posess the intimate knowledge of the gastric emissions of large wet men that Shauggy does, so I'll have to take his word for the sound.

Other than that, it's just a bike...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cans 007.jpg (119.1 KB, 17 views)

post #8 of 11 Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
I do not posess the intimate knowledge of the gastric emissions of large wet men that Shauggy does, so I'll have to take his word for the sound.

post #9 of 11 Old 06-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Gets censored

lol, you said intimate knowledge..

I dig the dukes also, its on a small list of bikes I'd give up the 9er for.

post #10 of 11 Old 06-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Princeps Prior

My dealer has one of these sitting on the floor...... hummmm.... the 990 SM-T. Was surprised to find out it isn't nearly as heavy and large as it looks in the photos. They're claiming a real-world Dry Weight of 432 (no fuel, with other fluids). After sitting on the bike, I believe that claim.

Looks to me like a do-able 9'er replacement someday.

post #11 of 11 Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Tirone

That is such a nice looking rig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode