Street triple and Speed triple - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Street triple and Speed triple

How come there both so close in price? I found a 2010 st3 for 8,000 bucks and a 2010 sp3 for 8,000 bucks both bikes are new.. well left overs.

I would actually prefer a street triple R but there harder to find.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Optio

Probably because they cost the same to build.

Not a smart ass answer. They are both tripples, both have similar frames, brakes, amenaties. One just has smaller bores and stroke. No that its year end deal making time, the true prices are put on the stickers.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #3 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Le So Cal Troll

they r probably trying to get rid of the speed cus the 2011 is "all new" ... styling... so you wouldnt want to have the old ones laying round for too long.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
they r probably trying to get rid of the speed cus the 2011 is "all new" ... styling... so you wouldnt want to have the old ones laying round for too long.
Someone posted that the Speed3 isn't coming to states for 2011. I speculated that it was so they wouldn't be competing against left over 2010s still avail on the showroom floor. This further reinforces my theory. I would still expect to see the new S3 for 2012.

- Rev. CYCHO -

tires.... it's what's for dinner!
post #5 of 13 Old 12-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Pilus Posterior

Actually the second poster states something I've been thinking for a while.

Cost wise it must be the same to build up a Speed or Street give or take a few bucks. As buyers of two wheeled fun machines there is a expectation that the smaller capacities should be cheaper - it has always been that way.

I wonder how the factories work out RRP's.

Harleys are easy - take last years model - change the paint, chrome a piece or change a chrome piece and paint it black - maybe even put on a new fangled radial tyre (good grief!) then charge heaps more.

post #6 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoCycho View Post
Someone posted that the Speed3 isn't coming to states for 2011. I speculated that it was so they wouldn't be competing against left over 2010s still avail on the showroom floor. This further reinforces my theory. I would still expect to see the new S3 for 2012.
i don't know where everyone came up with this,but it's listed on their usa website for 2011

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/13409_13441.aspx

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #7 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewvir View Post
i don't know where everyone came up with this,but it's listed on their usa website for 2011

They just added that not to long ago, I was on there site about 2 weeks ago and dident see that.

Anyways I like the older model more, the new head lights look fugly to me.

"You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people do in a lifetime" - Burt Munro
post #8 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:

He he.. here's where I read it.

post #61 by sml2727 .... sml2727, nice goin'!

Guess it proves you can't always believe what ya read in the ole interweb. Go figure?

So the deep discounts at Triumph are even more urgent! Looks like the revised S3 is new but not "all new". MSRP coming in at $11,799... with a 2010 sitting next to it for $8k... maybe the new one is the one that will sit?

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #9 of 13 Old 12-30-2010, 06:48 PM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

kinda like a slestack(sp)? from the tv show "land of the lost".......

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #10 of 13 Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 AM
Church of the Holy Smoke

Quote:
kinda like a slestack(sp)? from the tv show "land of the lost".......
SLEESTAK

I remember Land of the Lost... but I'll be damned if I get your reference. I reread every word of every post in this thread and I am in the "Land of the Lost" now.

EDIT: do you mean the looks of the new S3?

- Rev. CYCHO -

post #11 of 13 Old 12-31-2010, 04:58 AM
Pilus Posterior

Nah the need Speed has "Terminator 3 eyes" headlights.

post #12 of 13 Old 01-01-2011, 05:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

My pal Ritchie lets me ride his Street Triple. I ridden Shaugnessey's Speed once for just a few miles.

They are different machines. I don't want to get into a "which is better" debate. There is a reason Triumph makes both. But I would be willing to pay just as much for the smaller bike because for me, I think it's worth it.

post #13 of 13 Old 01-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Both are great bikes but I too have a hard time with the pricing. I always want to pay less for a smaller displacement bike. I think I have a hard to relating HP to price...

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode