Stepping back in time - Wrist Twisters
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-20-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?
 
RoboStraub 919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lexington
Posts: 683
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Stepping back in time

I stepped back in time this weekend for a long ride with some friends. No, it wasn't seeing faces separated by weeks and months of interference from work or families, but via a motorcycle. I rode the 919 on what will most likely be it's last long adventure. Sort of a farewell tour through a few states and 500+ miles of super-slab, back country twisties, a trip to a KY beach, and even some semi-offroading.

I've been riding the Tuono all last week and for the first time since then, jumped back on the 9er for this trip. Despite only being 5 years in difference it was like stepping back in time; handling, power, even just the feel of the bike felt old compared to the Tuono.

The mechanically linked clutch and brakes felt ancient and required work to operate. The ride was less smooth, the cornering less capable, the feel overall was antiquated. The feeling I had going from the Tuono back to the 9er was nearly the same feeling I had when riding my old '80 CB900 after buying the 919, the newer bike being so much of an upgrade in every way.

I still have a soft spot for my 919 as it's taken me on plenty of long journeys away from home and we share some great memories, but damn, it was so different even just after a week.

It's not hard for me to admit that the 919 was never the perfect bike, as I've done so plenty of times, but it was the perfect bike for me at the time and for a long one. Strange that a bike that felt so good for so long, now feels so old and so inferior to what my first choice on riding has become.

In the next few weeks I will be returning it to stock and though I'm sad to admit, I will be selling it; already with a couple prospective buyers. After which I will be back in the market for yet another bike again, revisiting an old interest in the dual-sport category. Late model KLR's with low miles can be had for cheap, and now that I've got an Italian beauty for fun, I need a workhorse of a bike to take me on the camping and back country riding adventures I enjoy doing.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
RoboStraub 919 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 05-21-2012, 12:36 PM
The 919 project continues
 
mdtoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,427
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Sad that you're selling it, the 919 is a fantastically fun bike! I love my 919 to death, in fact I'm on my 2nd one, but this weekend I rode my brother's FZ1 (which is a year older than mine) through the mountains for half an hour, and couldn't believe that an older bike could feel so much better and so much more modern in every category. I was almost afraid to swap bikes with him because I didn't want to like it, but I knew that I would.
When I got home from the ride I was talking to my wife about the ride and my brothers bike, and she started laughing and said, "So I guess you'll be getting another bike now?" Honestly, it's all I've been able to think about since the ride.

I'll hang onto mine for another year or so, but the Kawasaki's have really been calling to me the past couple years - it doesn't help that a local dealer has a leftover '11 Ninja 1000 listed at $8998 right now...
Kawasaki demo days are a few weekends away, and a test ride will probably push me over the edge.

Enjoy that Tuono!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kawasaki-Z750.jpg (60.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Yosh Ninja 1000.jpg (132.9 KB, 12 views)

mdtoney is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Aquilifer
 
PAULIBIKER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ankeny, Iowa
Posts: 1,227
Rep Power: 1
 
I need to ride a Tuono................

PAULIBIKER is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM
`
 
zaq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: here n' there
Posts: 3,842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

you should take in the consideration that you have 2007 classic bike that haven't changed a bolt since 2002, except maybe its color.
I hope you knew that when you got the 9er back in 07. You basically got 5 y.o bike (or older in some ways). I think Honda was trying to keep the 9er close to 79-83 CB feel with a modern touch.


I'd say keep the classic and get fz1


Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
Sad that you're selling it, the 919 is a fantastically fun bike! I love my 919 to death, in fact I'm on my 2nd one, but this weekend I rode my brother's FZ1 (which is a year older than mine) through the mountains for half an hour, and couldn't believe that an older bike could feel so much better and so much more modern in every category. I was almost afraid to swap bikes with him because I didn't want to like it, but I knew that I would.
When I got home from the ride I was talking to my wife about the ride and my brothers bike, and she started laughing and said, "So I guess you'll be getting another bike now?" Honestly, it's all I've been able to think about since the ride.

I'll hang onto mine for another year or so, but the Kawasaki's have really been calling to me the past couple years - it doesn't help that a local dealer has a leftover '11 Ninja 1000 listed at $8998 right now...
Kawasaki demo days are a few weekends away, and a test ride will probably push me over the edge.

Enjoy that Tuono!!

zaq123 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
What's a 919?
 
RoboStraub 919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lexington
Posts: 683
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
you should take in the consideration that you have 2007 classic bike that haven't changed a bolt since 2002, except maybe its color.
I hope you knew that when you got the 9er back in 07. You basically got 5 y.o bike (or older in some ways). I think Honda was trying to keep the 9er close to 79-83 CB feel with a modern touch.


I'd say keep the classic and get fz1
My 9er is an '03. Like I said, I've still got a soft spot for it, but it doesn't make sense to have two similar styles of bikes, with one of them lacking in every category to the other.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
RoboStraub 919 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 05-21-2012, 03:25 PM
`
 
zaq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: here n' there
Posts: 3,842
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboStraub 919 View Post
My 9er is an '03. Like I said, I've still got a soft spot for it, but it doesn't make sense to have two similar styles of bikes, with one of them lacking in every category to the other.
I was referring to mdtoney's 07. I hear you though, If you got to go naked modern performer Tuono is the way to go. Have you considered V4 R APRC before you pulled the trigger on this one?

zaq123 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 05-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Tirone
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Huntington
Posts: 48
Rep Power: 1
 
A huge selling point for me was the better gas mileage and the price on the 919 as opposed to the other nakeds on the market. Add in the honda reliability, and, meh, I suppose it's all on what you prioritize. I read some reviews of the Cow, but they all said the mpg was on the lower end, and that's a biggie for me since I do a lot of commuting and mini touring trips. And wont it be a bit of a hassle and extra cash to get parts for the tuono? There are no aprilia dealers even close to me. I can't say that I'm not jealous though

00Sanchez is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome