Steering Dampers - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Steering Dampers

Any one on here use them on their 919s? If so what ones do you use and did you see much benefit?

I just installed a set of forks with Racetech fork springs in them. Thanks Dave :-)

Thanks

Mel

2003 919 Gloss Black
K&N, Barracuda Headlight and Turn Signals, MBD Bellypan, Leo Vince Slip Ons, PCIII with LDH Map, Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail, Homemade Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Handlebars, Rizoma Grips and Bar Ends, Racetech 1Kg fork springs

2008 Dodge Charger Inferno Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Optio

Don't think the 919 really goes fast enough to require a steering damper. My 2c.

post #3 of 18 Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Cornicen

I think it's the "lazier" geometry more than the lack of all-out speed (it's more than fast enough for me though) that negates the need for a damper on the 919. Having said that mine had one on it when I got it, so it's stayed there. I honestly can't feel much of a difference when I have it dialed up or when it's off. But I use it all the same. 5-6 clicks on when I'm out playing and riding at higher speeds and almost off when just puttering around town.

edit: I have a Toby unit on it by the way.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Pilus Posterior

Can't say I've had the need for one and our roads are a bit like sealed goat tracks! I swear they operate a machine late at night that is designed to make pot-holes.

post #5 of 18 Old 06-01-2010, 05:27 AM
Gets censored

The geometry of the 9er makes people think they dont need one. Speed has jack schit to with it, its more bike design. A 10 speed will shake its head if its not designed properly.

I put one on mine just cause I would get some wobble out of it when I was really flogggin it on the back roads and I wanted something to slow things down if it got hairy one day. You can use a GSXr damper and get a fork clamp I did mine for under 75 smackers. I do want a nicer damper though but for a bike thats questionable if it needs it this is probabally fine.

post #6 of 18 Old 06-01-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Thanks folks... Money saved :-)

2003 919 Gloss Black
K&N, Barracuda Headlight and Turn Signals, MBD Bellypan, Leo Vince Slip Ons, PCIII with LDH Map, Clear Alternatives Integrated Tail, Homemade Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Handlebars, Rizoma Grips and Bar Ends, Racetech 1Kg fork springs

2008 Dodge Charger Inferno Red
post #7 of 18 Old 06-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Aquilifer

i didn't grab the link, but if you google around you'll find a web post about adapting a gsxr stabilizer for about $75 off ebay (maybe it was brian's, from above!) . i'm going to do one on my drag bike...i think. IF i get it running again. it oughtn't need one for being pushed around my garage.

post #8 of 18 Old 06-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Gets censored

I got the idea from there i belive it was 919.org but i could be wrong. tried it, love it.

post #9 of 18 Old 06-01-2010, 04:22 PM
no max no more

919 is one of the most rock soild bikes i have riden on the street or highway ,,,so id say know to the damper...but they do look cool

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #10 of 18 Old 06-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Aquilifer

i'd say that riding with an inexperienced passenger and the attendant occasional low speed wobbles would be nicely addressed with a steering stabilizer. if that's an issue.

because my drag bike is lowered more in the rear than the front, i've increased my rake and trail and likely need a stabilizer even less. but, the first time i touch back down after a 100 mph 4th gear wheelie, i'll probably be wondering why i haven't gotten around to the $75 ebay fix.

post #11 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Tirone

steering damper

i also thought i didnt need one, but after i raced the 2010 ironman race a 1200 kms 24 hrs of rough phil hi way, i mounted gpr dirt bike steering damper from my drz 400sm, and it works

post #12 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 06:26 PM
Optio

Definitly not needed. Maybe, if the bike has been raised in the rear, and lowered in the front it could come in handy on rare occations. But a relativly stock 919 it would only be for bling.

02 919 (RIP)
07 600RR
07 CRF450X
81 XS850
09 Versys
post #13 of 18 Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Discen

I ordered a gsxr dampener yesterday. After it gets here I will mount it up and let you guys know. I figure for $36 it can't hurt.

post #14 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Aquilifer

PICTURES !!!!

post #15 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Hastatus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Can't say I've had the need for one and our roads are a bit like sealed goat tracks! I swear they operate a machine late at night that is designed to make pot-holes.
Glad I'm not the only one un-impressed with our roads.

I asked the same question when I first got my 919. Most answers from guys that know what they are talking about, is that the 919 is an extremely stable bike (set up very stable geometrically) and unless there is something wrong with your bike (tyres, suspension, etc.), you are unlikely to ever need one.

post #16 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 02:32 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Even crossed up wheelies gone awry don't get the Niner protesting. It's got the stablest front end you could ever ask for even if it is vague at best...

That's not to say you couldn't induce a headshake, but I doubt you will ever experience one severe enough to cause you any problems. The lazy geometry as well as the flexy frame really absorbs the energy that gets transmitted through the wheel into the forks & throughout the chassis. If you did get into a tank slapper on the 919 that was aggressive enough for concern it would most likely be from some action on the riders part that was truly out of the design scope of the bike and in that case I doubt a steering damper is going to save your butt when you screw the pooch like that.

post #17 of 18 Old 06-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Gets censored

Quote:
Originally Posted by touring919 View Post
But a relativly stock 919 it would only be for bling.
I disagree, the 9er doesnt 'need' one but it certainly is functional and not a chrome air box or something stupid like that. Ive come down nasty from some 1 wheel action, nice for it to be there and functional. Ive also had an issue on it while under hard acceleration when she talked back a little i've had it happen with out the stabilizer and with and i like it better with!

Seems my f4i forks took the edge off the issue as well, it'll still do it just not as bad.... maybe i need to fiddle with the settings some more. Sounds like you should've rode yours harder

post #18 of 18 Old 06-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Tirone

i don't know how to post picture here, just visit this site for the picture..by the way, the bar mounts are just hand made..
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=1013521642

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode