Standard 919 handlebars - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 05-12-2016, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Standard 919 handlebars

So my 919 came with aftermarket (flat-ish) handlebars, so I don't know what the standard bars are like. I did try replacing them with Daytona bars, but still want the bars further back and higher. I now have the bar extenders that also have a setback (so ~1.5" taller and 1.5" back ?), but still not happy. Will have to get longer brake lines if I want to combine the Daytona bars with the extenders, so I ordered the G&J brake lines with 2" extra.

My questions:

1) What is the rise on the stock 919 handlebars?

2) Are the Renthal-high bars higher than the stock 919 bars, or lower?

3) How do the Daytona bars compare to the stock 919 bars/Renthal high bars?

Also, if anyone would want to share their solution to getting the bars higher and further back, feel free to post. Seems most people here want to get lower... anyone willing to send me their stock bars for a reasonable price?

Thanks,

-Alan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Tesserarius

i've got stock bars i won't miss. I think the consensus among people here is that the angle of the handlebars was the uncomfortable part. Mine came with Renthal UL's and i never bothered putting the stock ones back on. I did use risers with the UL's though. that worked out nice. I'm just 5'5" so it was a little stretch for me.
i would think you want some forward lean though, it's actually more comfortable than sitting up right and feels more natural i think, unless there's a back issue that demands otherwise.
Feel free to PM me about the OEM bars if you want to go that way. my bikes a bit disassembled right now, but i could probably get some pics for you of them on the bike with risers if someone else can't.

post #3 of 16 Old 05-12-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the offer, I may consider that after I try my daytona bars with the risers... yeah, I feel like my Zero is good positioning for me and that has the handlebars about two inches up and two inches back versus the 919 *with* the current risers (as measured from the seat). I come from owning a bunch of standard bikes (ninja 250, honda ascot, honda cx500), and so that is my reference. I have never owned a sport bike because the positioning would be hurting my wrists and back after 30 minutes, and I want to be able to go on all-day rides. I am 51 years old and have had back problems since my twenties, although much better in control recently with ab exercises and stretches.

post #4 of 16 Old 05-12-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I do feel that the daytona bars have too much pullback so the angle of my wrists is not right (wrist is 'pinched'). So maybe that is what is solved by the Renthals?

post #5 of 16 Old 05-12-2016, 02:03 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

renthal mediums have almost identical pullback and rise to the stock bars, the main difference being the angle of the grips doesn't make you feel like you're pinching your shoulderblades. I'm a huge fan of the mediums, the renthal highs will be just a bit taller/further back than the mediums as far as I know.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #6 of 16 Old 05-12-2016, 03:09 PM
The Cripple

Get yourself a set of of Tharbars. You'll have so much adjustability you wouldn't know what to do with yourself!

post #7 of 16 Old 05-12-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Renthal highs... which ones? CR high or RC high?

I don't think Tharbars will give me the position I want unless I moved the clamps way back. And how much higher versus stock can they go? Also, it is not clear if the full kit is still available.... is it?

post #8 of 16 Old 05-12-2016, 05:21 PM
The Cripple

It is. It is also insanely adjustable. If they can't go high enough for you then you can also use risers.

You can change angle, pull back, height, etc. So much to play with.

post #9 of 16 Old 05-13-2016, 01:00 AM
oops hurts

Garage
Although this is TharBar country I have to say the Renthal Ultra Lows rock my world. My understanding is that renthal highs are higher than stock and Renthal mediums are as close to stock. The stock bars suck so dont do it.

post #10 of 16 Old 05-13-2016, 06:28 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post
Had no idea there was more than one, so I don't really know...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #11 of 16 Old 05-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post

I don't think Tharbars will give me the position I want unless I moved the clamps way back. And how much higher versus stock can they go? Also, it is not clear if the full kit is still available.... is it?
If you're looking at street bars, there's only one high.

Renthal - 7/8" Handlebars

Personally, I fall in the small group that likes the stock bars.

post #12 of 16 Old 05-13-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

So I ordered the Tharbars. I will hook it up to these risers (3 1/2" ?) and hopefully it will work for me: Rox Elite Pivot Risers for 7/8" or 1 1/8" Handlebars - RevZilla

I got in the longer brake lines and they will definitely be long enough. I think I will have to route the accelerator cable in front of the triple tree. Thanks all for the input.

post #13 of 16 Old 05-22-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Version 1: the left electrical lines would not reach with both extenders (but I had to try just for fun)...

Version 2: everything reaches okay: clutch, longer brake lines, throttle cable (both clutch cable and throttle cable routed in front of the triple trees). I will have to connect everything up to see if there is any cable issues when turning left or right.

ps. positioning feels great, being able to adjust the pullback and make minor adjustments to height will be awesome, thanks Rob!

post #14 of 16 Old 05-30-2016, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Finished... Looks weird, feels great!

post #15 of 16 Old 06-01-2016, 10:32 AM
This town needs an enema!

I'm using Rox Risers with Renthal UltraLows... here's my post from THIS thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherWings View Post
Got everything installed (and with new grips, too!). Brake line and cables are all long enough for the UL with 2" pivot riser...

Haven't gone on a long ride yet, but so far it feels pretty comfortable. The Rox risers were not cheap, but definitely liking the way it looks, and am also enjoying the more upright riding.

| '02 919 - Batcycle | '00 Suzuki SV650 |

Barbarians at the Gate
facebook.com/batgband
post #16 of 16 Old 06-03-2016, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I'm using the 3.5" Rox risers, and with the TharBars the height is much higher than yours. Previously I did have the clamp extenders that put the bars ~ 1.5 inches back and so that looks similar to what you have.

This mod "fixes" the bike... I have always been on the fence about selling it because the positioning was off. Even with all the suspension work I have done, I have been 'meh'. People here call the 919 a 'standard' but it's positioning is somewhere in between a sport bike and standard. Coming from some real standards (Honda Ascot + cx500) this new positioning is now equivalent in terms of forward lean and height. I want a bike that I can ride all day.

Just using the Rox 3.5" risers with my old handlebars (daytona bars) would have also solved the height/lean positioning issue, but the TharBars are great for adjustability.

At the same time, I installed the SS brake lines and flushed the brake fluid, something that needed to be done anyways... both the throttle and the clutch routing in front of the triple tree works, had to route the throttle cable upward so it is not pinched when turning right. Not a bike you want to rev while you're in a tight turn!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in