SSR Gas Cap - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 41 Old 12-22-2006, 07:19 PM
roktbox

SSR Gas Cap

Received my niiiice black SSR gas cap from the group buy and thanks to all parties for the hook up. Too bad there's no bike in the garage in which to install it! That spot against the wall is strikingly bare.

Should have everything back together in a few weeks and I'll post up some pictures.

Merry Christmas, boys and girls! :santa:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-22-2006, 07:51 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Got mine too. Looks great!

post #3 of 41 Old 12-23-2006, 03:47 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

+2 !! Thanks again, Mike!

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #4 of 41 Old 12-23-2006, 05:28 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Man I hope mine comes today, Got my rear sets and grab rail plugs installed last night , Need to bleed and take her for a spin!! str8

post #5 of 41 Old 12-23-2006, 07:56 AM
Honda Addict

$hit - I had mine shipped to work. The owner surprised all of us on Thursday and decided to close up shop on Friday. Oh, well, guess I have something to look forward to on Tuesday.

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #6 of 41 Old 12-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Mines in the mailbox!! yeah, str8

post #7 of 41 Old 12-24-2006, 05:57 AM
Honda Addict

So, are these things as well made as we hoped they'd be?

post #8 of 41 Old 12-24-2006, 06:55 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Are they vented so your tank doesn't implode?

post #9 of 41 Old 12-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Discen

Very good question, never thought of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post

post #10 of 41 Old 12-24-2006, 09:14 AM
Honda Addict

Quote:
Doesn't the tank have a vent tube somewhere underneath it already?

post #11 of 41 Old 12-24-2006, 10:01 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbike View Post
Doesn't the tank have a vent tube somewhere underneath it already?
yep here is the pic showing it

post #12 of 41 Old 12-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Reply from the manufacturer:
"No, it is not. We ran several tests with and without the vent holes and there was no differences on the Hondas. The other manufactures, needed we had a vent hole (such as Ducati and Yamaha). Honda has a better venting system naturally in their design."

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #13 of 41 Old 12-24-2006, 07:01 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Man! I have to say....when I read that I was like
Thanks for all the clarifications guys!!!

post #14 of 41 Old 12-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
I would hope others would do their research before posting such total BS.

post #15 of 41 Old 12-25-2006, 09:47 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

It has happened to RC51 owners who switched fuel caps. If it happened once...

Since when are questions total bull****?

post #16 of 41 Old 12-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Put mine on today. Looks good

post #17 of 41 Old 12-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Since when are questions total bull****?
When they are not a total question!

post #18 of 41 Old 12-25-2006, 03:44 PM
necked 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Reply from the manufacturer:
"No, it is not. We ran several tests with and without the vent holes and there was no differences on the Hondas. The other manufactures, needed we had a vent hole (such as Ducati and Yamaha). Honda has a better venting system in their design."
I think Honda's are naturally better engineered...
that's why i own 4 of them.

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

post #19 of 41 Old 12-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybobb1 View Post
I think Honda's are naturally better engineered...
that's why i own 4 of them.
+1

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #20 of 41 Old 12-28-2006, 04:56 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Go to page 1-37 in your Honda 919 service manual. Study the diagram. Then go out to your bike and open the gas cap. Stick your finger inside at the 6:00 position. You will feel the air vent hose. Now notice the "fitting" at the 5:00 position of the fuel opening. Now look at the gas cap. It has a flange with a hole in it that makes a simple compression fitting. Now notice the corresponding hole in the underside of your gascap. Go back to the diagram in your manual. Study the pic again. Now see the little arrow from the gas cap to the air vent hose? Becomes pretty clear, doesn't it. The tank is vented thru the gas cap then down the "air vent hose" to the EVAP canister (Cal models). The air vent hose is simply "duct work" running thru the tank. The Honda gas cap is this tank's only means of being vented. Evidently California thinks there is enough vapor coming out of that tank, that it warranted the installation on an EVAP can. Now this aftermarket gas cap manufacturer may say Honda doesn't need a vent, but obviously Honda and California disagree.

You wanted more research, there it is.

post #21 of 41 Old 12-28-2006, 07:23 PM
Discen

Good point!... I emailed Will @ SSR

Will.. I received the gas cap and it looks great. I have one question as a member of our bike forum brought up a good point on the tank venting issue.. I am no engineer, but I would think while the fuel pump (Our Honda 919 is F.I) in side the gas tank is extracting fuel, that air needs to get into the tank as the gas level goes down other wise the fuel pump will create a negative pressure in side the tank.. What are your thoughts?

Thanks Will…

Quote:
Go to page 1-37 in your Honda 919 service manual. Study the diagram. Then go out to your bike and open the gas cap. Stick your finger inside at the 6:00 position. You will feel the air vent hose. Now notice the "fitting" at the 5:00 position of the fuel opening. Now look at the gas cap. It has a flange with a hole in it that makes a simple compression fitting. Now notice the corresponding hole in the underside of your gascap. Go back to the diagram in your manual. Study the pic again. Now see the little arrow from the gas cap to the air vent hose? Becomes pretty clear, doesn't it. The tank is vented thru the gas cap then down the "air vent hose" to the EVAP canister (Cal models). The air vent hose is simply "duct work" running thru the tank. The Honda gas cap is this tank's only means of being vented. Evidently California thinks there is enough vapor coming out of that tank, that it warranted the installation on an EVAP can. Now this aftermarket gas cap manufacturer may say Honda doesn't need a vent, but obviously Honda and California disagree.

post #22 of 41 Old 12-28-2006, 08:14 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Well, it needs a vent. I installed it last week,but didn't ride my bike till just now. I just went a few times around the block to work in the chain lube I just did. When I got back, I decided to test the cap, and as soon as I opened it, the gas came forcibly out, onto the cap, filling the grooves, then a little bit onto the tank itself. I wiped it off immediately, went to get my Honda Polish and cloth, and within 30 sec, when I returned there was even more leakage on top of the SSR (see pic). It's a cam phone pic, so I hope it shows up well enough.
You can see the gas on the top left, and "water marks", which are actually the spots left by the gas on the paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSR Gas Pressure Leak.jpg (70.7 KB, 85 views)

post #23 of 41 Old 12-29-2006, 02:19 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

Exclamation SSR Gas Cap Recall

Hi Ken,

I finished talking to the VP of R & D at SSR and after much discussion they will take back all the gas caps. There are two options for 919 Group Buy:

1) Return the product back to me for a full refund (please mail back by First Class United States Postal Service). Everyone will also be reimbursed for the shipping cost.

2) Return the product back to me and in two-three weeks receive a new SSR Gas Cap with vents built into them. Everyone will also be reimbursed for the shipping cost.

SSR apologizes for any inconvenience, but wants to make sure that safety always comes first. SSR wants all the 919 Group Buyers to know that over 200 Gas Caps has been sold and only this incident has been reported. But for SSR, one incident is one too many and wants to take care of the issue.

Sincerely,

Will Tran
of Will Tran Cycle Parts

Note: If you prefer to keep the gas cap and are an experienced person with drilling, please drill two 1mm holes into the floor of the gas cap to allow for sufficient venting.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #24 of 41 Old 12-29-2006, 04:20 AM
Discen

Bummer!! - I guess I will take door # 2 Bob!

Quote:
Hi Ken,

I finished talking to the VP of R & D at SSR and after much discussion they will take back all the gas caps. There are two options for 919 Group Buy:

1) Return the product back to me for a full refund (please mail back by First Class United States Postal Service). Everyone will also be reimbursed for the shipping cost.

2) Return the product back to me and in two-three weeks receive a new SSR Gas Cap with vents built into them. Everyone will also be reimbursed for the shipping cost.

SSR apologizes for any inconvenience, but wants to make sure that safety always comes first. SSR wants all the 919 Group Buyers to know that over 200 Gas Caps has been sold and only this incident has been reported. But for SSR, one incident is one too many and wants to take care of the issue.

Sincerely,

Will Tran
of Will Tran Cycle Parts

Note: If you prefer to keep the gas cap and are an experienced person with drilling, please drill two 1mm holes into the floor of the gas cap to allow for sufficient venting.

post #25 of 41 Old 12-29-2006, 04:28 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase

I got that same email from Will... At least they are willing to do the right thing. To all those who bought, you have a PM.

post #26 of 41 Old 12-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Just got this email,
Quote:
If you want to drill the vent hole yourself, please use a 5/64 or 3/32 drill bit size (almost the same diameter as a round toothpick). Remove the rubber ring for better accuracy. Drill from the bottom-side facing up for a firm foundation (place a towel underneath to prevent any scratches). Replace the rubber ring and install.
but dont understand how this will vent properly with the cap on? Any ideas, str8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DrillingInstruction.JPG (67.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DrillingHole1.JPG (71.5 KB, 54 views)

post #27 of 41 Old 12-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Discen

This is my reply to Will on this issue and do you guys think I am off the mark on the need for the sealed tank have an air supply???

- Email to Will -

My concern has been and might be partially fixed by your noted quick fix as noted below. My concern - The OEM setup gas cap does have a air vent supply from the tank itself that in turn the gas cap will then route that air supply through the gas cap and into the tank in order to allow air to get in to the tank while the fuel is being consumed and pumped out by the fuel pump.

As noted before, I assume with a sealed tank like the gas tank for the 919, air is required to get into the tank while the fuel is being pumped out other wise a negative pressure will be produced in the tank if there is no air to fill the tank while the fuel is being extracted. And I assume the OEM gas cap is a one way valve type system for this air supply to get in as I would assume Honda does not want the vapors to escape out when the bike is not I use.

And it looks like from your idea to drill a hole, it will allow air to get into the tank via the drilled hole..(I assume it will work as I have not installed either version (not drilled or drilled version)

Thanks Will..

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8ghtjacket View Post
Just got this email, but dont understand how this will vent properly with the cap on? Any ideas, str8

post #28 of 41 Old 12-30-2006, 05:34 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

If the vent in the cap was a one way valve, (which it is not) there would be no rason for the EVAC can. Your tank needs to breathe both ways.

Honda's system of venting is fairly elaborate. It gets the fumes away from the rider. If you drill the new gas cap, aren't you going to end up with fumes 18 inches in front of your face? Doesn't sound like the optimal situation, especially if you smoke or use a cell phone.

Sometimes good ideas don't work.

post #29 of 41 Old 12-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
especially if you smoke or use a cell phone.

Sometimes good ideas don't work.
Smoking would be a problem, but cell phones???

You don't honestly believe that crap about cell phones causing gas to ignite, do you?

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #30 of 41 Old 12-31-2006, 06:21 AM
Discen

Who will be returning their SSR Cap back for a Full Refund?

After these few threads, I decided to get my money back... But how does SSR credit our paypal account and will we have to pay paypal any form of a fee to receive the credit from SSR??

In order word will be losing any money on this transaction?

Thanks Guys...

post #31 of 41 Old 12-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

I have let Will know I would like a full refund and have asked how this will work but did not get an answer, only a return address. They did offer to pay for shipping, but not sure (if) Paypal applies fees to refunds, who is responsible.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #32 of 41 Old 12-31-2006, 07:50 AM
Discen

Sorry guys..I need to proof read more often!..

In other words, will we be loisng any money on this transaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
Who will be returning their SSR Cap back for a Full Refund?

After these few threads, I decided to get my money back... But how does SSR credit our paypal account and will we have to pay paypal any form of a fee to receive the credit from SSR??

In order word will be losing any money on this transaction?

Thanks Guys...

post #33 of 41 Old 12-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
I think the paypal receiver can just cancel the transaction and you get your money back, but I'm not 100% certain of that. If he does a transfer back, you might lose some percentage of the $$. Too bad about these caps, but it sure is nice that he's willing to make it right. I guess he doesn't need hundreds of WT 919 owners trashing the company name, huh?

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #34 of 41 Old 12-31-2006, 08:54 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

The episode of the expoltion causing cell phone on CSI not withstanding, the thing about the cell phone was a bit of absurdity to make a very real point. The point was that gas fumes should stay from the rider.

I'm sorry I was the one to piss on everyone's parade concerning the gas cap thing. I didn't think it was a good idea, and I spoke up. You guys would have found out on your own eventually.... Take your refund and buy some ss brake lines.

I'll shut up now.

post #35 of 41 Old 12-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Actually, it's good someone brought it up. Better now than after somebody had a major safety issue with the cap. Sometimes being a cynical, skeptical bashterd can help (I would know, we can smell our own).

As for the cell phone explosion, Mythbusters already disproved that one a few years ago. Not to mention the fact that you have waaaay more powerful electronics on your bike that are more likely to cause ignition than a measly cell phone. I agree fumes shouldn't be around the rider, but the real problems are smoking and fume inhalation.

2002 919 40,000 miles
post #36 of 41 Old 12-31-2006, 08:59 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Im glad you said something , maybe they will figure out a better design, was a cool cap, owell- brake lines sound good. str8

post #37 of 41 Old 12-31-2006, 07:22 PM
necked 919

Quote:
Hi Ken,

Sincerely,

Will Tran
of Will Tran Cycle Parts

Ken or Will or Mike...
So who is our contact at SSR and what is the address that we should be sending this part back too???
Thanks for following up on this guys...

and big thanks to Sniper for bringing this issue to light

Rj - WQEU774
Team Drumstick
Hondas: 919Hornet - 750NightHawk - CR250R - TRX400EX - TRX250EX wife's quad
Bultaco Metisse 250 project
BMW K1200GT

post #38 of 41 Old 12-31-2006, 07:46 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

The address is:
3263 Hyde Street
Oakland, CA 94601

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #39 of 41 Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase

My 57.50 refund hit my Paypal account today.

2009 Honda Goldwing
post #40 of 41 Old 01-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Got mine yesterday + the 4 dollars for shipping. I did like that cap though,
str8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode