Spencer Seat Mod - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
Spencer Seat Mod

Just got my seat back from Spencer. A++++ service. Shipped to him Monday, came back yesterday. Cover looks better than when I sent it in. Can't wait for the weather to cooperate so I can ride!

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 11:27 AM
Discen

i might get some flak for this but i didnt notice much after getting my seat spencer modded.

i did it mainly to trim some off the edges and on top to get a little more of my foot on the pavement. When i got the seat back i popped it in and the ride height and amount of my foot on the ground was practically the same.

i understand there is not much to work with on the 919 seat but i honestly barely noticed a difference. Comfort level was also negligibly effected. That is just my 2 cents, a lot of people really appreciate/notice the difference after the Spencer mod.

post #3 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Milites Gregarius

I had my seat also done by Spencer about 2 weeks ago, great experience in dealing with Spencer, and will let the group know if there is a difference in comfort once the riding session on...

post #4 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

What was the cost? Do they put on new fabric or reuse the old stuff?

Spoiler:

post #5 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
What was the cost? Do they put on new fabric or reuse the old stuff?

Spencer is meticulous both in his directions for customers sending him seats and his work on the seats. He is explicit in his FAQ that he does not reupholster seats and prefers to only work with stock upholstered seats. He removes the upholstery, carves up the foam a bit, replaces the carved area with some better comfort type of foam/padding (details on his website) and then restaples/stiches the upholstery back on.

Spencer has a whole form you fill out describing your riding style and what type of modifications you're looking for in the seat. Check it out here:

FAQ

He was very good in communication and easy to work with when i sent him my seat.

post #6 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Optio

Garage
I second the above. The cost was $75 for the driver section, leaving the passenger stock. I paid shipping both ways and was responsible for ensuring that is was packed well enough to not get damaged.

Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
-Michael Jordan
post #7 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Milites Gregarius

Its to bad he doesn't have photos of before and after with the upholstery peeled back to show his work..

I kinda thought of this after I received the seat back..

post #8 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Thanks for the info. I guess I doesn't matter once I saw this: " As of March 1st, 2010 I no longer accept seats shipped from and/or back to addresses outside of the US."

Spoiler:

post #9 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 02:54 PM
Milites Gregarius

I was lucky and I worked out a deal with Spencer that I would ship from Toronto to him, and he would ship back to Buffalo NY to a package holding company called CBI and he agreed.. So I just made a trip once received at CBI and picked her up..

Not sure if you have anything available on the boarder with Montana..

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I guess I doesn't matter once I saw this: " As of March 1st, 2010 I no longer accept seats shipped from and/or back to addresses outside of the US."

post #10 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 04:39 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
I'll do the shipping for you as long as you cover the $$ if you want. LMK.

post #11 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Discen

yeah if he's ever going to make an exception for international shipping it would be for a Canadian customer. That said he lives in Florida so i imagine shipping would be pretty pricey... for shipping both ways and the mod itself you'll probably spend around $200 i'd guess?

Back to my first post... the difference between my stock seat (i bought a 2nd stock seat to have while i had my original one modded) and the modded seat was small - comfort and ride height wise.

post #12 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 06:53 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Florida is a long way to ship a seat. I think if rather ride there and have him do it while I'm there. Thanks for the offer RMB.

Spoiler:

post #13 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Yo no sé nada

I live in Florida, I'd rather watch him do it while I wait.

post #14 of 22 Old 02-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsitarski View Post
Just got my seat back from Spencer. A++++ service. Shipped to him Monday, came back yesterday. Cover looks better than when I sent it in. Can't wait for the weather to cooperate so I can ride!
I think you'll like the results of the Spencer mods even more when to get to give it a go. I did mine about two years ago and i have nothing but praise for the end result. I was looking to sit a little taller in the saddle and for a solution to the numb-butt. It went from a seat where i would squirm after 10 miles to one where i no longer even give it a thought. The finished seat doesn't look any different though.

post #15 of 22 Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 AM
Immune

I have wanted to do this for years, just never gotten around to it. Pretty sure it's becasue I don't want to do with out my bike for a week...lol.

post #16 of 22 Old 02-09-2015, 06:36 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

If anyone wants a side by side comparison I'm pretty sure I have a picture of a stock seat next to a spencer seat. I doubt I'll remember which one is which in the picture though because there is effectively no difference.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #17 of 22 Old 02-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Tesserarius

If anyone is interested. My spare seat has the spencer mod.. was thinking about getting rid of it.
post #18 of 22 Old 02-09-2015, 02:49 PM
Yo no sé nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbleach4 View Post
If anyone is interested. My spare seat has the spencer mod.. was thinking about getting rid of it.
What exactly is "the Spencer mod"?

post #19 of 22 Old 02-09-2015, 02:55 PM
PB

See post #5 above and the link provided in the post.

post #20 of 22 Old 02-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbleach4 View Post

I was considering letting Sargent mod mine but I could be interested in yours Clorox.

post #21 of 22 Old 06-28-2015, 03:33 AM
Milites Gregarius

Hey guys..

So far I have been riding with my Spencer mod seat for three months, and so far it has been a big improvement from stock(for me)...

I noticed when I took my seat off and flipped it around, I saw the color of the foam on the front window of the seat is this black material. I am wondering if this is the supracor material he uses?

I attached the photo of the seat on the bottom, as the same holes for passenger is this tan colored foam material..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seat Foam.jpg (156.8 KB, 38 views)

post #22 of 22 Old 06-28-2015, 07:19 AM
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB900F2 View Post
Hey guys..

So far I have been riding with my Spencer mod seat for three months, and so far it has been a big improvement from stock(for me)...

I noticed when I took my seat off and flipped it around, I saw the color of the foam on the front window of the seat is this black material. I am wondering if this is the supracor material he uses?
I bet it is. Spencer seems like a nice and affordable alternative but don't they reuse the stock cover? That has to limit doing much in the way widening and raising the front to level the seat. Or do they change the cover now as well?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode