Speeding ticket question. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Newfie

Speeding ticket question.

Got me a nice little ticket on sunday for speeding. I washed the 9'r and took her about a half mile down the 2 lane road to dry off. On the way back I cranked her up to about 80-90 to "air" dry. As I was passing 2 cars driving in the opposite direction I seen the motorcycle cop behind them. He rather promptly signaled me over and I pulled into the entrance of my subdivision. I was playing it cool with him but he had no time for me. "was meeting another officer for lunch". He wrote me the ticket and gave me the quick "speech".

Not knowing a lot about motorcycle cop radar, can they accurately detect my speed while moving at 45 mph in the opposite direction? And under the cover of 2 suv's?

Oh, and I know that it was not a smart thing to do. I've been thinkin about it the whole week.

LET THE FLAMES BEGIN!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Discen

I don't know what type of equipment they have down in FL, but up here the Bike Police officers have stationary radar, not Ladar, or any other 'moving' method. So for speeding violations the motorcycle officers work in conjunction with other officer(s) pointing a radar gun dismounted, or from stopped 4 wheeled vehicle.

I'm sure that from experience that most officers would be able to determine whether or not you were exceeding the posted limit, but proving it, and issuing a citation stating a specific speed at a specific location would be difficult in my opinion.

2006 Honda 919
post #3 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 07:03 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

you got popped, eat it, go to the classes, or pay your precious insurance premiums for the next three years, my two cents.

Bill

post #4 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

you beat me lone, shucks

post #5 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 07:05 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

oh yeah, he could have got you for illegal passing too, or some other infraction, count your blessings

post #6 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

pay for one of those $75 traffic attorneys we have here... no school no points.. might have to pay a xtra small fine but nothing on your record.. and for the record unless he had a radar hard mounted on his bike he did'nt clock you... the motocops here have handheld radars.. but its his word against yours.. get the attorney......

post #7 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 09:00 PM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

Were you wearing full gear?

post #8 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 04:27 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

I once made the mistake of claiming not guilty on a mandatory court date for "burning out" in front of a cop. Long story short: I accidentally pulled out in front of someone in my new truck (had a Honda Accord before). Put it on the floor to get out of their way. Smoked both tires and make one heck of a bunch of noise. Anyway...ended up spending 3 hours at the courthouse, still had to pay the ticket and go to traffic school. The time I lost fighting it I could have made the money at work to just pay it.

I say leave the speeders alone (speeding within reason) and go after the idiots who are driving/riding too fast for the conditions, eating, smoking and talking on their cell phone at the same time. Just my opinion. I hope a cop reads this and gets his panties in a wad!

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 AM
Franklin McGillacutty

Lawyers are like anything else good ones cost more depending on your need to beat this ticket. I carry a CDL and would need to beat it so money would be less of an issue. I need a clean record for my job as a diesel mechanic.

post #10 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 06:53 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Pick your "speed zones" more carefully.

Do the deferment if possible. The speeding tic was probably lenient. Ye could have nailed you for reckless driving and who knows what elce.

The way I look at is this. We're all willing participants. The occational tic or "driving award" as I prefer to call them, is the price for doing business. Don't let it ruin your day.

post #11 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

seriously.. call one of the traffic attorneys in the phone book.. this is florida.. you pay the lawyer 75-99 bucks.. 2 months later they send you something in the mail where it is either dismissed or knocked down to something non moving.. DO NOT pay it save yourself money and time and use the lawyer.. i sell motorcycles and drive one daily.. my co-workers and myself and 90% of my clients use these lawyers.. they work.. otherwise none of us could afford insurance.. the salesman sitting next to me as i type this has had 7 tickets for speeding in the last year.. he has NO POINTS and his record is clean

post #12 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I had a H-D

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Karl,

I too know the JSO or local LEO all too much in my 25 plus years of driving...
I recommend taking the driving school option. All the hassel to find an attorney or go to court most likely would not be worth the time or price.
It's sure is easy to speed on the 9'er. Try doing speed limit in a 30mph zone..
it's hard with the digital throtle response.

post #13 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 03:04 PM
pew pew pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeau1960 View Post
Were you wearing full gear?
that probaby would have helped you karl. sbeau knows this all too well

post #14 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 03:16 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Well if you weren't properly gunned (radar), then it can be beat on technicality. What did he write it for? how did he know how fast you were going? you can also get a copy of his report so you know what he'll say in court... which will probably be an absolute fabrication of what happened, but worth a look before you hire a lawyer.

post #15 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hob0 View Post
that probaby would have helped you karl. sbeau knows this all too well
unless you're wear knee pucks. some of them out here see knee pucks and assume that you're draggin' knees on the street and will treat you like you're an ass hat even if you were just going 4 mph over the limit.

post #16 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Tirone??

I know that CHP car's here have solid mounted radar, facing forward and rear, and can clock you while moving in either direction. Motorcycle cops I am not sure on, but see no reason why they could not have solid mounted radar as well as the gun.

Did he say he got you on Radar and give you the speed he clocked you at? If it is what you were doing than most likely he got you, or else has great skill at estimation to be so close.

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode