Spare Keys - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Spare Keys

Easiest and quickest ways to get spare keys?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog512 View Post
Easiest and quickest ways to get spare keys?
Call your Honda Dealer and make sure they have their key machine on site(most do) and that the blanks are in stock. You don't need your key if you have the key number.

We just went through this on a purchase of a '04 CBR 600. Original owner lost the keys. The key number was written down on the bill of sale which the dealer had a copy of.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #3 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 05:59 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I wont share my entire frustration with the key code...they had to invert it to get it to work though, but they say its not a 'permanent solution' It works, what more could I ask for?

post #4 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Milites Gregarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Look for a blank on Ebay, and take it to your locksmith.

post #5 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

I got one key when I bought my '02 used, so one day I happened to see one of those little locksmith/knife sharpening kiosks outside a Home Depot, walked in and asked if he could dupe the key. He held it up and said "yeah, that's a (incomprehensible string of words and numbers), no sweat." Had him make two which he wouldn't let me pay for until I tried them (the bike was parked about 20 feet away), both worked perfectly, and it cost $8. Told him to keep the change from a sawbuck because the Honda shop wanted $22 each for duplicates.

Quote:
I wont share my entire frustration with the key code...they had to invert it to get it to work though, but they say its not a 'permanent solution' It works, what more could I ask for?
It is a permament solution as long as the person doing the cutting learns the cut codes are always listed from the root of the key to the tip. When I was working at a Mazda dealeship customers would come in with a horribly worn key and ask for a duplicate, which they couldn't do without the key number, so they would call me in and I'd hold the key up to a light and call out the cut code from what was left of the original, and 95% of the time it would work perfectly.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #6 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Rob,
You are "THE MAN". First taught me about clutchless shifting, now I got 2 keys made at Home Depot for $10.

Gracias (spanish for "the fat man walks alone")

post #7 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 08:51 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
It is a permament solution as long as the person doing the cutting learns the cut codes are always listed from the root of the key to the tip. When I was working at a Mazda dealeship customers would come in with a horribly worn key and ask for a duplicate, which they couldn't do without the key number, so they would call me in and I'd hold the key up to a light and call out the cut code from what was left of the original, and 95% of the time it would work perfectly.

Rob
I'm pretty sure your far from a pup, but I find it hilarious that the youngest in the shop was the one that knew inverting the key code was the way to go. The "most experienced" said it wouldn't work the first time he suggested it. When I took the ignition in (and they themselves figured out the key code "didnt work) he (the young one) inverted the code and it worked.

post #8 of 15 Old 07-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Tirone??

Does anyone's keys favor the direction in which they enter the key? With my keys, one way it will not slide in very well, but when flipped it slides in pretty good, but still maybe a little rough compared to others. Not a bother, just thought I would ask while on the topic of keys...

2006 Honda 919

States visited on my 919
post #9 of 15 Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 AM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Mine too! Usually does that in front of other people, thinking, Man, that ole guy can't even put the key in the hole!!

[
post #10 of 15 Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Tire abuser

The key on my 919 is probably the crappiest component on the bike - it gets twisted and I look like a moron who can't start his own motorcycle. Using a pair of pliers to carefully un-twist the key works - I have to do it about once a month.

I think the problem is that it is such a long key - easy to twist.

Once it has been bent, it prefers to be inserted in the slot in one orientation over the other - that's how I know it's time to straighten it again.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration 

For hard to find keys or older styles, try here..........

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/

That's where I had some made for the RVF, good prices, quick service too. And with the key code he cut them before shipping them to me so I didn't have to take the blanks somewhere else.

Low Post Whore!
post #12 of 15 Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration 

(Where is the damn edit key on this forum? Damn forum owner, who is he? I'll kick his ass!)

EDIT TO ABOVE POST!

Ok, now don't I feel like a complete friggin moron. Since the RVF is in pieces I never thought about ACTUALLY trying the keys..............................that is until now. They looked close upon initial visual inspection. Er, um, uh.......they don't work! They are close in cut, but still slightly different. I have contacted the locksmith above and await his reply. I told him it might be best if I get the key blanks and take them locally to be cut matching them with the original key, not basing it on the original code. I'm not quite sure if the blanks were the correct ones either. I'll update when I find out.

(OK, so on this post I see an edit button??????????? Is there a magical time delay to edit your posts before the option dissappears or something?)

Low Post Whore!
post #13 of 15 Old 07-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration 

John, the very nice gentleman at motorcyclekeys.com, is sending me out 2 more key blanks and he recommended I take them to a locksmith for cutting as he says their machines are much more accurate than the hardware stores.

Low Post Whore!
post #14 of 15 Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Discen

I just went to a local shop and bought a blank for $2.99. It isn't a Honda key, but it works fine and it is a whole lot cheaper.

post #15 of 15 Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration 

Yeah, I know, but this restoration business stuff is NOT cheap!

Low Post Whore!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode