Sore Shoulder - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Sore Shoulder

First of all I will tell you this.. I am a big whiner..

Everytime I ride I experience so extreme pain in my throttle hand shoulder and neck area. At times it is almost in possible to turn my head to shoulder checks etc. The pain starts around riding for 45 min or so... and it will last for days after. So therefore my summer riding has been effected....

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if this is just me... I don`t like to blame it on my bike so I say that it stems from my desk job and constantly using a mouse....

Any Ideas?

I ride a 919... Would a windscreen help?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 08:35 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by set126 View Post
First of all I will tell you this.. I am a big whiner..

Everytime I ride I experience so extreme pain in my throttle hand shoulder and neck area. At times it is almost in possible to turn my head to shoulder checks etc. The pain starts around riding for 45 min or so... and it will last for days after. So therefore my summer riding has been effected....

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if this is just me... I don`t like to blame it on my bike so I say that it stems from my desk job and constantly using a mouse....

Any Ideas?

I ride a 919... Would a windscreen help?

Thanks!
i guess that's your story and your stickin to it?

seriously, have you noticed if your elbows are straight? your probably putting alot of weight on that arm or both.

straighten your back and try to take the weight off your arms.

also a crampbuster might help relax your grip

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #3 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Gets censored

How long have you been riding?

post #4 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Hey thanks for the replies!

I have been riding for about 4 years... But seasonal...

I am not a small guy so maybe it is my riding position when avoiding the wind...

Whats a crampbuster?

post #5 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 09:01 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

How tall are you, and has the bike been adjusted for you? I'm 6'2", a good bit of difference from your average person so here's what I've done to my bike to make it ergonomically more friendly.

#1 adjust shift lever down, trying to hover my foot above the shifter put a lot of strain on my shins

#2 adjusted brake lever down, again less need to force my foot up to stay off of the lever

#3 rotate handlebars forward. We sit higher, our wrists hit the bar at a different angle this put less strain on my wrists

#4 rotate clutch/brake levers forward. Again, a more natural feel for me.

#5 honda-line windscreen. It does change the flow of air, but when I'm not tucked it offers little more protection than the gauges. Wind probably hits me just above the belly button. The redirect when in a tuck at higher speeds felt more comfortable to me.

post #6 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Hey thanks for the replies!

Whats a crampbuster?

http://www.google.com/products?q=cra...ed=0CEIQzAMwAg

little plastic thingy that wraps on the throttle and allows your palm to hold the throttle open. I have one, although I think mine is called a throttleboss.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #7 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I use to be 6'2" but the last time I check I am 6'1", must be the humidity this summer

I have never adjusted anything on my bike not thought of it. But it does make sense....

I have been considering a windscreen for a while but I an not a fan of them however if it took some pressure off my body I probably should...

As for the crampbuster... I checked it out... interesting and fairly cheap.. gonna try one out!

Thanks guys for your input!

post #8 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Two Wheeled Warlord

Is it just riding that sets it off or is other things all the time? I had a pinched nerve in my neck/shoulder once and it felt like your description. Physio was the fix for me.

post #9 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I used to get stiff necks alot. Had it real bad one time. Finally went to a chiropractor. That guy worked a miracle. I had a pinched nerve somewhere and he got it "unpinched". Sorry for the technical jargon, hope you kept up. I'd try a Chiropractor, because the pain you are in, isn't right.

Tha other guys have good suggestions also. Adjust the controls.

post #10 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Riding is the trigger, or at least the trigger of the most extreme pain....

I will probably check out a chiro and see if they can snap the soreness...

post #11 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Gets censored

I'm not one to boo-hoo but my elbow has been killin me lately. About since the time I went 2 wheel only for transportation. So today I was puttin a new set of bars on Cr-Hi bars same as before but mine just got bent. I installed them more forward than my prior configuration and right away noticed less strain on my bow! Thanks Beef, I'm 6ft and needed some room!

post #12 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Tesserarius

Maybe it's because your Canadian?

post #13 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Predictable, but valid nontheless.

The main causes of the pain you describe are being too tense while riding, placing too much weight on your hands, and/or the handlebars don't fit you properly. Many's the time I've gotten to the end of a long day in the saddle and had long term pain in my upper back, and occasionally a tingling sensation in my right hand. Both are symptoms of muscle strain from trying to support your upper body, or forcing your wrists into an unnatural angle to get comfortable on the bars, upsetting your entire upper body's equilibrium and setting your back muscles against one another. Specifically the Trapezius; Rhomboideus Major and Minor; and the Levator scapulae, all of which press against major peripheral nerve bundles to the arms. It is this pressure that causes both the localized and outlying pain.

Chiropractic treatment will certainly alleviate the pain in the short term, but one of the basic tenets of chiropractors is the patient can do quite a bit more than the doctor by altering behaviour that causes the need for treatment, meaning you must make adjustments to your riding style to keep back pain from recurring. Many attribute pain to having to fight the wind on a completely naked bike and assume a windscreen is the universal cure. 'Taint nassarily so. I've toured all over the western U.S. without any sort of screen with nary a whimper from my body.

How?

Balance. Not just keeping the bike upright, but finding a riding position that strikes a balance between comfort and moving through a not always benign environment. It comes with experience and a bike that fits you properly.

The most important aspect of fit is handleabrs that fall in the right position for your hands, with the most important parameter being pullback or sweep (See the illustration). A quick experiment: place your hand flat against a table, palm down. Now move it to the left and right (called Radial and Ulnar deviation). Notice how little movement is possible -- this is the position determined by pullback, and why it is so important. If the pulback is wrong it forces you to move your elbows in or out to straighten the wrist, and the muscles used to do this eventually start to get fatigued, requiring a repositioning to alleviate it which puts more strain on the wrist. Eventually you're upper body is sore all over and the ride comes to a premature end or you suffer until you get where you want to be desperately needing aspirin, a drink, a hot shower, or a doctor.

My recommendation? First evaluate your riding style / position / philosophy to determine the cause of the pain, paying particular attention to the amount of work it takes to get comfortable with the handlebars. Given enough time you should be able to make the changes you need to alleviate the long ride pain.

Remember this: an average motorcycle knows quite well how to do what you want it to. All you need to do is relax and twiddle the controls. It'll do the heavy lifting.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Height rise pullback.jpg (28.2 KB, 14 views)

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #14 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Pilus Posterior

I suggest you knock back a few beers before riding to relax you .............

But seriously I had a similar thing on a bike some years back - a change of bars fixed it.

Then I went to a bike with clip-ons and that killed my forearms - I fixed this with three weeks or so in the gym doing reverse curls to build up by forearms to look like Popeye.

post #15 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Gets censored

You aint got no popeye forearms

post #16 of 22 Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Two Wheeled Warlord

One thing I like to do on my bikes (and this is great for bikes with a center stand) is sit on the seat naturally, close my eyes, and reach for where I want the controls to be. Then I open my eyes and see how the reality compars and tweak as required.

post #17 of 22 Old 08-13-2010, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOBMAN View Post
Maybe it's because your Canadian?
You want to start that do you?

Rob.... Thanks for the time you put into your post... I will take a look at all of that and see what I can come up with... I think I can convince the wife to let me get some new handbars now!

post #18 of 22 Old 08-13-2010, 05:24 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Rob, thanks for the writeup, I have a problem with the bars too, I'm finding that after about 2 hrs my wrists are sore and have noticed the bars have too much pullback for my position. I'll be looking for new bars this winter.

post #19 of 22 Old 08-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Gets censored

I run pro taper 7/8ths Good bars and inexpensive 70 bucks or so. Rob makes some nifty looking bars I may need to give a go sometime soon.

post #20 of 22 Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

You should also look at some tank grips. Use your legs to support yourself, not the handlebars. You can get a stompgrip from their site <--click. There isn't one specifically made for the 919, so you'll have to buy the universal ones and cut them yourself. Seriously take the weight off your hands and ease up on the kung-fu grip.

post #21 of 22 Old 08-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danke View Post
One thing I like to do on my bikes (and this is great for bikes with a center stand) is sit on the seat naturally, close my eyes, and reach for where I want the controls to be. Then I open my eyes and see how the reality compars and tweak as required.
Exactly! I also add laying my palms of my hands with fingers extended on the grips -- if the pulback is right the grip will be contacting the inside of the 2nd and 5th knuckles (The first is the thumb. Go ahead, argue with me!), and if it's wrong you will have to bend your wrist to make similar contact. With lots of practice you will be able to tell from this test how far you'll be able to ride before it gets too uncomfortable. Now as to the adjusting part of the equation ...
Quote:
Rob.... Thanks for the time you put into your post... I will take a look at all of that and see what I can come up with... I think I can convince the wife to let me get some new handbars now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Rob, thanks for the writeup, I have a problem with the bars too, I'm finding that after about 2 hrs my wrists are sore and have noticed the bars have too much pullback for my position. I'll be looking for new bars this winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I run pro taper 7/8ths Good bars and inexpensive 70 bucks or so. Rob makes some nifty looking bars I may need to give a go sometime soon.
Thar Engineering to the rescue!

Gad I'm shameless.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #22 of 22 Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 PM
My friends call me Bill

Awards Showcase
Donation 

but right, and thats what matters, yippee!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode