Soft Seat for my 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 03-12-2006, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Soft Seat for my 919

This was the first warm weekend this year in Detroit. It was great. Butt, spending an hour or so sitting on my bike made me remember what I forgot to do this winter. The hard seat of the 919 is no fun and I want to find a solution. And... I don't really want to go the high cost Corbin route.
I see ads for the AirHawk cushions. They look ok but I hate to spend $150 without some confidence they work well enough to be worth it.
Has anyone tried the AirHawks? What size, the large pillion or cruiser?? Do they stay in place? Is it hard to move around on the seat with the cushion strapped on?

Thanks for any comments,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-12-2006, 08:55 PM
IRHunter

I went the Corbin route. A few weeks later, a dude on the "nest" posted about having his stock seat "re-stuffed" to make it softer. He said it worked and felt great. I would have tried that prior to the Corbin, if I'd thought about it!

post #3 of 23 Old 03-15-2006, 06:47 AM
Dark8

Funny thing is, my Corbin is harder then stock yet I can stay on it longer. I have heard people have had good results having their seat re-loaded with memory foam also.

post #4 of 23 Old 03-15-2006, 08:30 AM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

Don't ya just love the motorcycle myths that are so prevalent (softer seats are better, slip-on exhausts are just for noise, Powercommanders are only needed if you change your exhaust to a full system etc...) all of them total BS.

Corbin seats are harder than stock & that is why they are soo much better for the long hauls, but they are more difficult to lean off of in the twisties too so it is a compromise for most, but if you are just commuting or doing long trips then they will save yer ass, just not yer wallet as they are not cheap.

post #5 of 23 Old 03-15-2006, 12:16 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919
Thanks for any comments,
Mark
Try sitting on an RC for 4 hrs. straight

post #6 of 23 Old 03-15-2006, 12:30 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 

4 hours on an RC? AMATEUR! Try 8.5 hours & almost 600 miles of twisties in one day

post #7 of 23 Old 03-15-2006, 01:17 PM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter
4 hours on an RC? AMATEUR! Try 8.5 hours & almost 600 miles of twisties in one day
2 b'days ago... left at 9a.m., after 3 tank fulls & 3 states later, I got back around 8, no lunch break. Think it was 486 miles.

post #8 of 23 Old 03-15-2006, 03:38 PM

Just lay them out for us to see, guys.

post #9 of 23 Old 03-16-2006, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

The Extended sit contest

I've got to say that sitting on my 919 for more than 30 minutes is real uncomfortable. And I agree it's not just a soft thing. Standard seat is not dense enough.
I take it that no one has tried the AirHawk. I don't want to be the first and I'm concerned that not being able to move around may be a bit dangerous.
With the Corbin being costly and heavy I may go the Sargent route. It's cheaper, lighter and looks more durable.

Thanks for your comments.
Mark

post #10 of 23 Old 03-17-2006, 06:26 PM
Immune

I just purchased this cushion, it just came tonight and Sunday going to try it out. Just sits on the top of the seat. $99.00

http://geltecproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=23

Dragon Slayer! Only been bit once!
05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
Online Computer Parts Store @ BESComputers!
post #11 of 23 Old 03-19-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Hi Wazoo,
I thought I'd wait to ask till you had a chance to try the cushion. So what is the verdict?

Thanks,
Mark

post #12 of 23 Old 03-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Immune

I was lazy today.. didn't use it yet.. will try it tomorrow tho. Will let you know.

05' 919
MODS: PCIII, Renthal Low Bars, Pazzo black gold short levers!, Honda smoke flyscreen, did have Sato Sliders till they broke left side motor mount.
www.blood-sport.org My new Web site. Started a 919, 599, and Hornet forum if you want to post!
post #13 of 23 Old 03-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Immune

Ok I rode for about hour each way on the Interstate, took about 10 minute break then back on the rode. Sat on the cushion for about 2 1/2 hours. It's better than the stock seat. Now my butt, was not bad and better than a $500.00 seat, you could feel the pressure of sitting for long time but not the pain of I just have to get off this seat right now. Once you got off you didn't get that feeling of all the blood going back to your butt and when you got back on the seat you didn't hate to sit on the cushion, it actually felt good. Conclusion, I need some longer time on it but I think it was worth 100 bucks so far. Only thing they could add is some type of adjustable strap that would hold it on the seat so if you wanted to get up during crusing speeds so it wouldn't blow off. Hope this helps!

http://geltecproducts.com/detail.aspx?ID=23

05' 919
post #14 of 23 Old 04-15-2008, 05:42 PM

who is this sargent guy who i keep hearing about and whats he charge to re do a seat? I dont want an old man pillow under my bum.

post #15 of 23 Old 04-15-2008, 06:38 PM

seats

seats are almost as individual as the choice of tires or oil.

that said, the folks that do lots of miles on their bikes typically use custom seats. I've had a custom seat made for my last bike, Rick Mayer in California made it and it was indeed comfortable. I was able to do over 1,000 miles in a day, and many days over 600 miles, consecutive and otherwise. That seat was pretty hard. The seat on my 919 is stock, it is pretty firm as well. I'm not probably going to jump at a new seat just yet as I'm using the bike for commuting. I will likely test it on some longer rides and may change my mind then.

Sargent seats make a pretty good seat as well, I had one and it was pretty comfortable. I've never tried nor had a corbin and can't comment on them. Believe it or not, some long distance riders swear by the wooden bead seat covers, like the cab drivers use alot of times. I've never tried one of them either but would consider trying it on the stock 919 if I was going to ride it far.

post #16 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 04:45 AM
Unbannable

http://www.sargentcycle.com/custserv.htm

Call these guys and send them your stock seat. Seat pads may work but they make you look like a grandpa.

post #17 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 04:53 AM

Seat beads are real popular on some of the other boards/list I visit. I have them on my GL1800 and they work great (especially in hot weather as you get air flow through them). They cost about $10 at an auto store. Than you have to spend about an hour cutting and tying to the right size and adding straps for your saddle.

post #18 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 05:21 AM

beadrider

[HTML]http://www.beadrider.com/[/HTML]

they make them for motorcycle seats as well, black in color to not look so much like a "grandpa". If you are riding your bike, sitting on the seat, nobody is going to see them anyhow. i do agree, that they look pretty goofy on a motorcycle seat.

post #19 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeer View Post
[HTML]http://www.beadrider.com/[/HTML]

they make them for motorcycle seats as well, black in color to not look so much like a "grandpa". If you are riding your bike, sitting on the seat, nobody is going to see them anyhow. i do agree, that they look pretty goofy on a motorcycle seat.
Yulp .... looks bad, feels good....

post #20 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 AM

i just seat my seat to Spencer down in FL http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

I'll report back when he gets it to me. Labor was 90 and shipping was 60 there and back.

post #21 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 06:17 AM
Crotchety Rocket

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride 

I did a SaddleSore Iron Butt (search for 'Melnick') last summer on an Airhawk equipped 919. I'm pretty sure I would have had a really rough time without it. It is definitely an improvement over the stock seat. It took me a while to get it adjusted correctly, but once I did, it was great. It feels pretty weird as the air shifts between the chambers. Feels like the seat is moving under you. I also took it on the Blue Ridge Parkway and did some spirited riding with the Airhawk on. It felt weird, but had no problems with control or anything. Of course, the 9er was loaded to the gills with luggage, so I definitely would not use the Airhawk if I were out for joyriding. IMO, worth the $150 (although I think I found mine for $120 or so).

My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.
- Stephen Hawking
post #22 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Isn't That Somethin'

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

there's a corbin on ebay right now

post #23 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Tire abuser

AIRHAWKS

I have used an AirHawk on other bikes (dual sports, supermotos, and my '85 CB750SC) and it works well. The advantage of the AirHawk over a custom seat (or even in addition to a custom seat) is that you can take it off to give your butt a different feel, then put it back on an hour later. Even the best seat will eventually start to chafe after a few hours, but being able to change the seat by adding or removing the AirHawk lets you ride a lot longer. Just my opinion...

I have a stock seat on my 919, but I think I will eventually get some custom seat work done and probably buy an AirHawk, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode