So WTF is up with the running temp? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

So WTF is up with the running temp?

Throughout my mod experience with the 919 I experimented with the PC3 and different maps. Been running Gen 2 Satos all the while. Tried a variety of maps but never took it to a tuning center for "official" mapping. IMO the PC3 discounted the reliability factor Honda is known for.

After much discussion here on WT, decided to remove the PC3 and keep the Satos. Popular opinion told me that the 919 runs extremely rich to begin with so there should be no problem with a free flowing exhaust.

Without the PC3 it starts great and runs stronger that ever.

BUT - when riding back and forth to work (13 miles hiway-one way), I've noticed something that still bothers me. When cruising down the freeway at approx. 70mph or so and the outside temp is approx. 90 degrees or so-

Why does the temp slowly climb?

It usually runs a tad above the split in the temp line - mostly at night. But if I run down the hiway at 70-80 going to work it will slowly climb during the trip. Tops out at about half way once I get off the hiway. If I get stuck at the light on the exit, it goes to 3/4 up the temp gauge.

Opinions please?

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Back to stock ECU map, with aftermarket exhaust, personally I would not be bothered by a slight rise in temperature. But, I would keep an eye on the colors of the headers to see if there are significant changes, and possibly inspect plugs if still unsure. Enjoy the ride!

post #3 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

FYI the common conception that the 919 runs exceedingly fat is only valid above 7,000 rpm and over 1/2 throttle. At engine speeds below that the A/F ratio is only slightly above stoichiometric, in the 13.7 to 14.05 range, with the stock exhaust. I would recommend a plug chop done after at least 10 miles of steady running at normal highway speeds to check. The header discoloration is also a valid check, but onset is delayed considerably unless it's running really lean.
As long as the temp gauge is not going past 1/2 there is probably no real cause for immediate concern, but it is a good idea to double check things to be sure.
Ah, the price we pay to get the sound or look (or both) we want!

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #4 of 14 Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Go'n So slow I'm stopped

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 6

3/4 is a normal sight.
That is where the thermostat is now fully open & the fan is set to come on.
As long as the fan is coming on there is nothing to worry about.
90 deg. is on the warm side & 1/2 way is where it should run.
The thermostat opens at 176-183 deg. F (80-84c) and is fully open at 203 deg F(95C)
Mine will get to 3/4 at lights also in 90 deg. weather & it will not go any higher.
Small Radiators relying on air velocity(no constant fan) for cooling, have a tendency to vary quite a bit.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 04:24 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 

Hey Dave - glad to see you active and posting. I'm guessing it is the 90+ temp. Let us know how the readings are when the ambient temp. is down in the 70's.

post #6 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Thanks for the input so far guys.

The fan only comes on when I get stuck in traffic and that's not too often. The temp rising to 3/4 or so isn't alarming to me when in traffic. Been keeping an eye on header color and it appears OK with just a hint of blue right next to the head. When I was running the PC3 it didn't seem to matter what map it was - the header pipes would turn blue down to just past the radiator. Didn't monkey with the numbers a whole lot and actually that's what led me to axe the PC3. Didn't buy a Honda to continually tinker with the settings - reliability is the key word for me. Didn't seem to matter what map I tried, the changes always seemed to be mid to high end and it was always difficult to start.

Neeway - since I'm beginning to commute more, it just seems odd that the temp will slowly climb to about 1/2 way as I run at hiway speed during the heat of the day. Night time it's really not an issue - it stays a hair past the split in the line.

post #7 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMike View Post
Let us know how the readings are when the ambient temp. is down in the 70's.
Thanks Mike - good to be back! Feeling a lot better these days.

Last night rode out to Lake Maumelle and back (about 30 miles round trip). Beautiful night with temp about 75. All was well with temp - right past the split the whole time with only a slight rise once I hit traffic again.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 05:14 AM
boogerface

What comes first...the PCIII or Aftermarket Exhaust?

Michael Reyes

2002 Honda 919 / 2009 Honda Civic Si Sedan
post #9 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Optio

Unless stopped in traffic or really slowed down my temp's never risen above the split down towards the bottom.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Honda Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikochu View Post
What comes first...the PCIII or Aftermarket Exhaust?
That's a 50/50 call. Over time lots of folks have argued that very point. I bought both at the same time. Knowing what I do now, probably would've just gone with the exhaust. Maybe it's just me but I firmly believe the thing runs better without the PC3. And it's more reliable. Certainly starts better.

There are lots of folks around here that swear by the PC3 and that's cool. It certainly gives more precise control over the fuel injection. If you want to fiddle with it. And it does make the throttle response better. Smoothes it out somewhat. But with a certain amount of wrist control it's not a big deal.

Have also heard stories about the PC3 going dead in the middle of a ride. Some folks have gone thru several of them. Dynojet always covers them under warranty.

I'm not saying the PC3 is a piece of crap but for me it messes with one of the main reasons I'm stuck on Hondas-

RELIABILITY

post #11 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 07:14 AM
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Hmm, with PCIII and Satos installed my 919 runs very cool. Usually the gauge doesn't get past about 1/4, if it's really hot outside, 90+, then it might reach barely 1/2.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Even at 90 degrees I don't think I run at 1/4 on my gauge. Three years ago I crossed the Mojave desert and was surprised to see how low the gauge stayed as long as I was moving. This was daytime, July and the temp. was about 135. Once I stopped moving the gauge climbed to the top in about 30 seconds.

post #13 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Some of us have parade conditions in traffic.

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #14 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 07:18 PM
speed limits?

i've noticed the same thing, when i'm on a trip my gauge sits just above the split at the bottom... then when i stop at a redlight for more than a minute, it raises to the point that the fans come on. i've read about people using waterwetter... the good and the bad and have just decided to leave it alone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode