So I got out the 919.... - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 
Total Awards: 6

So I got out the 919....

and rode it to work today, first time on the 9'er in the three weeks since I bought the FJR. Thought it was looking a bit lonely and needed some love, so naked to work I went.

First thing that struck me is how light it felt...guess that 200lbs makes a difference huh? Also how light the clutch and throttle action felt, the FJR controls will make a man out of me yet, or at least give me an impressive handshake!

Honestly it felt like a really loud and fast scooter for the first few blocks until I got used to it again, then I remembered why I loved it in the first place. Instant throttle response and blue sky at the twist of the grip, that incredible sound from the Satos as the revs hurtle towards redline, the tossable handling, the feeling of being one with a a basic motorcycle, no fancy instruments or high tech equipment to dilute the experience, just a good solid bike doing its job well.

I'll have to figure out how to balance riding time, honestly the FJR is easier to ride to work with its bags and lack of exhaust fumes. The 919 still begs to be ridden fast and hard, guess it's my rip around town and country road machine, save the FJR for the road trips and work commuting. Not a bad problem to have I guess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

@30,000 miles mine still feels like new. Only thing is, I can ride it a lot better now.

I was coming home from my Girlfriend's house last evening. I turned onto my favorite stretch of 62. 1/4 mile down the road sat an Indiana State Trooper. Luckily, I was only doing about 60-65. Maybe he was on his break, he didn't budge. OOOOK. Take it easy.... A few miles later I was crusin about 80. It's a wide deserted/empty road. Just runnin a nice relaxed pace, enjoying the evening curves. Nice right hander, scccrrr. Cool, never got a knee down there before. Shortly after that curve is another one just like it, smooth, wide, clean. If I can do it once, scccrrr. I did it twice. Made my day. (I have put pucks on my textile pants, makes it a lot easier.)

As far as I'm concerned, Honda really nailed it with the 919.

post #3 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

Oh how I long to have the seat time and added skill/ability to take her down that low. In time I'm sure it will happen, but not at this point in time for me.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Community Service 

Don't feel bad Ripper, I'm not a knee dragger either!

post #5 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Corner speed sets u free

Garage

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 3

I'm only puttin knees down on the track these days, way more fun to ride them like that there IMO. I guess my days of grinding knee pucks and foot pegs on the street are done since the track addiction. I still find it nice to run a clean brisk pace on the street every now and then, sans the draggin stuff.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Tirone

I've been looking at the FJR's recently. I'm glad to hear your impressions of the two bikes.

'09 FJR; '07 919
post #7 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

i'm lookin forward to gettin back on the horse, the having to pedal my own azz up the hill is tiresome...healthy, but tiresome

post #8 of 13 Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Took the long way home from work, really enjoyed running the 9'er up through the gears, it revs so freely and happily, while making such wonderful noise. Knew I had to mow and trim when I got home, so all the better to take a bit longer getting there.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 AM

to those of you dragging knees on the 919 (track or street) do you have your peg feelers removed?

post #10 of 13 Old 08-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Heavy Metal

Awards Showcase
Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 5

FREAKIN REMOVE PEG FEELERS BEFORE TRACKING

you want to leave a groove in the brand new pavement????!??!?!?!

remove them or be subject to public humiliation !!!!
...at least that's what the ballbreakers did to me at Barber

post #11 of 13 Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 AM

nope i keep em on just to avoid running off the edge of the tire...

i'm already super close as it is, honda put them there for a reason methinks, no?

and no, they don't leave grooves lawl

post #12 of 13 Old 08-08-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
orange

Awards Showcase

Rode the FJR yesterday, was in a Streetfighter mood today so got out the 919, polished her all up, lubed the chain, checked the oil and tires, put on my full gear and headed to the office.

Enough time spent here on this beautiful day, it's mid 70's and not a cloud in the sky, off I go for an afternoon of curvy roads and scenic southern Indiana beauty on the trusty 9'er!

I'll take pics for you guys stuck at work

post #13 of 13 Old 08-08-2008, 02:48 PM
I Love Parallel Twins

Mid 70's sound damned good to me! I just got back from a fast rip about 20 round trip it's 93 here and I sweat up so danged bad my jackets soaked. The leathers in the closet are getting lonely since I got that new, what they said is a breathable textile jacket. Leaves me huffing and puffin, must of been what they meant! It is cooler than my leathers, I guess.
Yesterday, it was 101 and that worked out to a heat index of 110- I drove my truck and sucked in all that AC
Lucky dudes in the 70's
Could be worse for me, I rode by my sons school a them high school boys are all out there doing their two a day football practices now, sweating their ever loving butts off. Whewwww I swear that head coach was smiling as he was yelling at em to push that sled harder!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode