So Cal Commuters - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 11 Old 10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
motoxer101

So Cal Commuters

Any so cal commuters out there? Swap stories?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Yes, commuter on the 14-5-118 Fwys on a red S2000. Traffic (and people) are getting out of hand these days, eh? Imagine 15 years from now..
No bike for me on the freeway, I use the 9r only for canyon carving.

-Alex
www.alexgelsomino.com

post #3 of 11 Old 10-03-2006, 07:54 PM
motoxer101

Cool, but not really what I had in mind.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-03-2006, 08:01 PM
TrackXperience Pusher!

Hey Alex,
great to see you on here...

sorry my commute is only 3 miles, so here's my story from last weekend

Last weekend went on a super long ride 399 miles left at 7:15am, got home at 10:30pm... went to big bear for breakfast, oak glen for apple goodies, Idllywild for a rest stop listen to some good music, pines to palms hwy, anza, lake henshaw, mount palomar, dinner at El reys in pauma valley, and back home... all of it on back roads only except for the ride home...

Great ride with some great friends from work, saw a 919 & a monster up in Idllywild said hi to them...

post #5 of 11 Old 10-03-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfooey View Post
Hey Alex,
great to see you on here...
Jay, it's a small world, isn't it?

post #6 of 11 Old 10-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Not so Rookie Anymore

Just the Temecula to San Diego Route. Still trying to find a weekend free to hit Idllywild or Julian for the day. Fall is tough with soccer games on the weekends. But I might try to break away on the 15th.

No good stories... the commute is pretty basic. I see a rogue 9er every once in a while. But it's always a good ride.

Temecula, CA (So Cal)
06-919

Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures.
Remember when someone annoys you, that it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown ...
But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother- upside the head...

Pass it on.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Tirone

what's your commute like, motoxer101?

mine is basically a twice daily vacation. about 25 miles each way: starting in topanga canyon (some of the best curvy roads anywhere), then down to pacific coast highway where i ride along the ocean through pacific palisades and santa monica to the 10 freeway, through exciting west side traffic to century city.

i have been riding it every day, all year long for 2 years except in the rain (which is very rare here). the trip takes about 35 minutes, and is never more than 45 even in the worst traffic. (by worst i mean pch blocked, which has made my trip home take 2.5 hours in a car in the past).

i find most la drivers to be inattentive, but friendly and cooperative when they do see a motorcycle. In my two years of riding I’ve only had two people (that I can remember) show anger that I was pulling to the front of an intersection, and only one tried to do anything (a girl in her early twenties in a bmw, aimed right for me as we left the intersection). Thousands of cars have voluntarily moved over to make more room in the lane for me to pass. Cars pull out on me all the time when they don’t see me coming – but I look at that situation as my responsibility to manage, and as long as I’m focused and prepared it is not a problem. I just got back from riding 2000 miles on country roads and highways and in small towns, and I didn’t have a single problem with a car the whole time. But la traffic can be very messy – here are few recent stories from the road:

today on my way to work I was riding through a construction zone on pico (7 lanes, 35 mph limit) that closed the right two lanes. Cars were merging to the left and crawling so I pulled around the cluster of merging traffic to the right, skirting the construction cones. As I reached the intersection the light turned green and a lady in the first car made a right turn right in front of me. I hit the front brakes hard (I had been covering them), and was moving slowly enough in the first place (about 10 mph) that there was no problem (though it did get my heart going – the front locked momentarily on an oily spot and I needed to manage the braking very carefully).

Last night I was on the 101 (10 lanes, 65 mph limit) in medium, slowing traffic. i was going about 65, pulling between two cars that were driving side by side in their lanes at about 55 (they were about 5 feet apart). When I was about even with it’s a-pillar the car on the left started coming over hard to the right, closing the gap. It happened so quickly, it felt as if he was trying to hit me. But in retrospect I think he just didn’t see me or the car to our right, and wanted to get the next exit (which he took). He got within a couple of inches of me as I swerved to the right, avoiding him, and gunning it so that I could escape before I got too close to the car on the right.

…j919

post #8 of 11 Old 10-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Thats a good reason not to have bar end mirrors around here. I rarely lane split, but having the bars any wider, would just suck, lol.

My commute is an easy 20 minutes, almost all freeway, and rarely backed up. I only occasionally use the bike for it though because I have just too much junk I need (or want) to haul with me. But when the weather is good, which is pretty often around here, I will bring out hte 9'r.

As for stories, a buddy and I were riding to work one time, and I don't know where it came from but there was a steel crimp on style lid from a 55 gallon drum rolling down the freeway pacing my buddy, and it was like it was posessed. It just kept coming after him until he finally kicked the silly thing and sent it wobbling off the edge.

On the way to a college class once as I was entering traffic down a ramp, I had a van in front of me. I turned to look over my shoulder to check traffic, and as I turned back a sheet of cardboard the size of a pallet came out from under the van and promptly stood up vertically like a wall in my path. Boy did that get my attention! Luckily before I got to it, bracing myself for an impact, it kept going and flipped up into the air and I ended up going kinda under/beside it.

You just never know what debris might just show up from underneath the vehicle in front of you!:chris:

post #9 of 11 Old 10-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Tesserarius

My commute is from Portola hills to R.S.M. 7 miles past Cooks Corner and thru Live oak canyon. Easily the finest motorcycle road in So Cal. But lately after 3 deaths in the canyon the fuzz has set up radar traps at each end. Bummer. So I cruise through there now, and stop at Cook's for a few beers before I go home. Living the American dream.
However a car next to me at the lights got rear-ended hard, could have been me!

post #10 of 11 Old 10-05-2006, 08:57 PM
motoxer101

thanks for the tales. Heres one. Had to drive to work, then downtown..tomorrow I GET TO RIDE MY 919!!!

and then sat.....Sato rearseats, Jardine superbike fender thingy (very cool looking, retains stock lighting, eliminates bulk) and on monday these really cool Euro grab handle caps...best way I can describe them...

I have been riding the streets of so cal since 1985...this is thee most confidence inspiring, totally usable, street assault weapon EVER!!!

this bike kills it.......Honda

post #11 of 11 Old 10-05-2006, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxer101 View Post
Jardine superbike fender thingy (very cool looking, retains stock lighting, eliminates bulk

Can you please post pics once you have completed this mod?
Tnx.

-Alex
www.alexgelsomino.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode