smoke from the exhaust? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 02:20 PM
teufelchen

Question smoke from the exhaust?

I know there's been a ton out about the exhaust stink, and I'm not quite sure whether this falls into this category, since I notice my 9er only stinking when idling with me standing behind it (yeah, I know, not very bright....)
Last weekenend I went to the Sportbike Northwest and, I admit, I flocked the 9er pretty good. (I had a blast!) The frieend behind me complaint about the bike stinking and she also said smoke comes out of the exhausts every now and then (however, I 'm not sure what color). I could confirm with her that it does that at high rpms or in moderate rpms when the engine was cold. The bike seems to run better every day (it has no 18k miles on it), but I am concerned that smoke out of the exhaust might not be a good sign. I haven't noticed that the 9er uses a significant amount of oil, so is this smoke anything I need to be worried about?
Thanks Sandra

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 03:09 PM
wphistory

For peace of mind, I'd monitor the oil level for evidence of consumption...but the more likely explanation is that the "smoke" is condensation. If it is clearly white and dissipates within a few inches of the exhaust outlet, I think you would be looking at condensation and not burning oil, which would be more persistent and darker.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 03:28 PM
teufelchen

100-200 ml between oil changes is not worrysome, right? The smoke's not water, it seems to be more black than blue (which I would take for oil), and only if you flock the bike.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 04:20 PM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

When Turn_1 had his 954rr and hit the throttle hard, it almost always blew black smoke(not like, a CLOUD or something, but a little poof here and there). He never had problems with it though, just the way it went. If that's all you have going on, I wouldn't worry about it really.

That's what a warranty is for anyways.

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #5 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 04:57 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I've noticed mine do it while riding behind it on another bike when it's "snapped." I've also seen another 9er do it. I think it's because they tend to run rich and when hit with some throttle they blow the crap out. 12K miles and no oil consumption or any other engine related problems.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Pudendal

+1 on Jim's comment

post #7 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Centurion

They are rich stock and put out a little black smoke
if you crack the throttle. They also get alot of
condensation smoke when cold (alot of pipe there).

post #8 of 8 Old 08-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Lethal with Whiffle-Bats

+1 and 3/4 to the above,
if the bike, or any vehicle for that matter is driven easily for normal commuting, and then gets to stretch it's legs, the carbon will build up inside the pipes, the extra vibration and velocity will loosen it, and will burn back off. I'f you are truly worried about burn off of another kind, check the coolant, and oil, the two should not mix... if a gasket is leaking, then coolant will burn through the engine. Probably nothing to be concerned about hopefully.

Take a Garden hose, and force some water down each pipe,, roughly a half gallon will do, then crank it, and spew it all out!! that should clean it up! makes a cool spray...
LOL Just kidding,, don't do that... real bad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode