Simpson's Review: Honda 919 Vs Truimph Speed Triple - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 
Total Awards: 7

Simpson's Review: Honda 919 Vs Truimph Speed Triple

This year I over compensated for not have a bike for many years. I really have enjoyed owning both of these bikes thus far. Both offer a unique riding experience. But today's post spells out in detail my thoughts on stengths and weaknesses in design and functionality.

Seat Comfort and Ergonomics:

919 - More upright and relaxed. Comfortable stance that makes a day trip easy. After getting on the 919 from riding the speed Triple, it can feel like a relief. In terms of ergonomics, The pegs are placed prefectly for comfort and sport. I often perch my feet on the back pegs for a 5-10 min rest while riding Highways. Stock seat stinks, and requires replacement in my mind. Corbin fixed month ago. Great for carrying passager with handle in back. Very very functional!

S3 - Locks rider into one and only one riding postion. Pegs are closer to seat and force rider to bend knees more aggressively. This posture can wear on
you after 2-3 hours. You will find yourself hanging over the tank. Not pratical for passager riders to me. Seat is a little better than 919 but still stinks. Corbin in the future

Handling and Ride:

919 - Takes corners like a dream. Anytime I let a friend take a spin, the first thing they comment on is how easy the bike dives into a bend. Very nimble and manageable around cities AND country side. Almost feels scooter like at times. 919 gets a 10/10 for handling. Highway bumps can still be hard hitting. When driving in the 60-80 range, a highway bump can send me flying up and inch. Inline 4 engine feels buzzy in the 60 plus range. Hands tend to falls asleep because of buzzy vibrations in handlebars and upper bike.

S3 - Takes corners fairly well, maybe 9/10. Not quite as nimble. Requires bit more energy and planning to zoom in and out of city traffic. Highway sailing is vibration free! The Triple loses the buzzy inline 4 feeling. Although ironically the back shock can give a hard jolt when hitting bumps at 60-80 range. More of a shock than 919.

Power and Gearing:

919 - Enough zip to keep things lively and fun. Very predictable powerband. Definitely not overwhelming power... The sweet spot seems to start at 5000rpm and up. 5000rpm is when the front tire lofts up in first gear. The engine enjoys driving hard. First gear is not geared low enough and 5th gear is not high enough. The clutch slips way to long before fully engaging and taking off. I'm still always seaching for 6th gear on the highway!!!! BUzz buzzz buzzzzz

S3 - 70 to 80 ft/lbs of torque. WOOF! Half a second into wacking the throttle hard you will be glad the seat locks you into one place. Even if its only couple inches, this bike lofts the front tire up in every gear at some point. No joke! Wheelie starts at 2K in first gear, little over 6k in 2nd. This is a great Hooligan engine. I don't recommend for beginners. Local dealer just got an 07 back after 4 days of sale. Got away from the rider and he pushed off from it. Big damage! Anyhoo, gearing is PERFECT. First gear is nice and low. Clutch hardly slips to engage, engine never labors. 65mph translates to 4000rpm in 5th gear. Smooth smooth smooth Highway drive!!!!

Overall, they both will be used differently for me. The 919 will be used for trips with the addition of luggage and replacement of front sprocket. The S3 will be my fun bike for country roads and jackassing around. Hope this is useful information! Please don't point out spelllling and grammar mistakes. Be safe... or ride hard and take chances...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda Addict

Excellent write-up, Simpson. Thanks. The S3 is a sexy looking thang for sure. And it's hard to go wrong with the 919 unless you just get a lemon (which is unlikely).

Aside from the different performance comparisons, what about maintenenace intervals / issues, parts prices and overall reliability?

Opinion / research on how the S3 stacks up there?

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #3 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 04:39 PM
MuscleCar Nut

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

It was between these 2 bikes when I decided to go back to a Naked Sportbike. Tough choice....... $$$ made the decision for me, $7200 vs. $8500.
I love my 919......

Troy
67 Pontiac GTO
2003 Triumph Speedmaster
post #4 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Primus Pilus

Garage
This sort of goes along with razor's question, but how would you rate fit/finish of the two bikes? Honda's fit and finish is pretty much industry standard, so I'm curious how well you find the Triple stands up to big red.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #5 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Nice comparison Simpson.

I'm still a little puzzled why you would want to own 2 similar naked bikes. Reading your report you state the 919 comes out slightly ahead for blasting around the twisties yet you choose it for trips. Depending on the length of your planned trips the 919 might wear thin, after all it is naked! The flip side is the smoothness of the S3, here again it will not offer wind protection. See what I'm getting at? IMO neither of these bikes would fit the bill for trips no matter what you add in the way of accessories. Not to say you can't tour on the 919, there is just so many other choices out there.

post #6 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 05:29 PM
Unbannable

Thanks for the review. I think people who are in the market for a big naked always tend to compare these two bikes. I was at that crossroads a few months ago and I choose the 919 after test riding an S3.

post #7 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Shiraz

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Outstanding Restoration Outstanding Restoration Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m51142 View Post
Nice comparison Simpson.

I'm still a little puzzled why you would want to own 2 similar naked bikes. Reading your report you state the 919 comes out slightly ahead for blasting around the twisties yet you choose it for trips. Depending on the length of your planned trips the 919 might wear thin, after all it is naked! The flip side is the smoothness of the S3, here again it will not offer wind protection. See what I'm getting at? IMO neither of these bikes would fit the bill for trips no matter what you add in the way of accessories. Not to say you can't tour on the 919, there is just so many other choices out there.

Let me try to explain:

I wouldn't describe 919 blasting twisties, rather it's easier to manage turns. Seems more effortless. The fun factor is high. We all experience it.

When you say naked does not fit the bill for trips... hehe Maybe not for most people. Probably rode about 20 day trips this summer. I prefer wearing a half helmet and glasses. I would all year but I get too cold. The less bike I see around me, the better. Really enjoy the sensation of seeing the road moving right next to me. Reminds me of being a kid on my dirt bike. If anyone has a 200 HP broom with a seat I can ride, let me know. My taste will probably change but for now I enjoy the elements. And yes I ride in the rain. I couldn't imagine purchasing any other type of bike. I've looked at all types of bikes in many dealers and I keep coming back to the same choices. If you only liked ice cream, you'd probably just add chocolate next to your vanilla scoop. Not get an oatmeal cookie. Hopefully that makes sense?

post #8 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
First gear is not geared low enough and 5th gear is not high enough. The clutch slips way to long before fully engaging and taking off. I'm still always seaching for 6th gear on the highway!!!! BUzz buzzz buzzzzz

Nice write up, but I'm a little confused. You say your always searching for sixth gear on the highway. Is your 919 not a six speed???

post #9 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Interesting write up, great job. I think I'm jealous, lol.

oops Hooligan beat me too it.
Quote:
919 - Enough zip to keep things lively and fun. Very predictable powerband. Definitely not overwhelming power... The sweet spot seems to start at 5000rpm and up. 5000rpm is when the front tire lofts up in first gear. The engine enjoys driving hard. First gear is not geared low enough and 5th gear is not high enough. The clutch slips way to long before fully engaging and taking off. I'm still always seaching for 6th gear on the highway!!!! BUzz buzzz buzzzzz
Did I miss something?? My 919 has 6 gears, maybe your searching for 7th?

post #10 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Hooligan View Post
Nice write up, but I'm a little confused. You say your always searching for sixth gear on the highway. Is your 919 not a six speed???
Guess I should have said "I'm always trying to shift up from 6th gear".

post #11 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 08:26 PM
INFIDEL

Awards Showcase
BOTM Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 919Hooligan View Post
6th gear doesn't feel like top gear when up to speed. Even now, I try to shift up one more gear when I get on the highway, only to realize I'm already at top gear. I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about.

post #12 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob919 View Post
6th gear doesn't feel like top gear when up to speed. Even now, I try to shift up one more gear when I get on the highway, only to realize I'm already at top gear. I'm pretty sure that's what he's talking about.
Correct!

Me not good english...

post #13 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpson View Post
Guess I should have said "I'm always trying to shift up from 6th gear".
gotcha

post #14 of 38 Old 12-03-2006, 10:29 PM
919>food>beer

So I'm not the only one always trying to shift into 6th??? I live in south Fla and its all straight here, so I'm constanty looking for a higher gear. I'll tell ya what though, you really have to be on your game down here, the divers suck! I can't complain about cruising in 80 degree weather in december though, considering I grew up in PA.

post #15 of 38 Old 12-04-2006, 04:55 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef View Post
I'll tell ya what though, you really have to be on your game down here, the divers suck!
Honda's tougher than i thought He dives with his bike i didn't realize they could be took under water!!

post #16 of 38 Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Unbannable

I'm pleased with the gearing. Maybe it's because I'm comming from a smaller bike. My last bike (EX500) would pull 4,000 rpm at 50mph and my 9er pulls 3,000 rpm at 50mph.

I never count gears so I'm allways pulling for 7th.

post #17 of 38 Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda Addict

After 3 years I still catch myself trying to shift into 7th on the freeway. DOH!

The 17t front sprocket corrects a lot of the "7th gear urge" but at the cost of low end grunt. I ran it for a few hundred miles and switched back to the 16t. Some folks have paired the 17t front with a 44t rear and say it brings back some of the low end. I was thinking budget and bought the 17t from a forum member when I tried it so didn't opt for a new rear sprocket.

IMO, the 919 in stock gearing is a great around town/local twisties bike but not sure I would want to take it on a long trip without at least the 17t back on.

And, yeah, the 919 is not only a good diving bike - it's also a great meat getter. I've hauled 4 deer out of the woods on mine so far this year!

It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.
post #18 of 38 Old 12-04-2006, 03:53 PM

I agree with super sneaky steve. I don't think the 9er is out of line at all with its gearing, compared to all the other inline fours I've owned.

post #19 of 38 Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 4

If you could only have one of these, which would it be?

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #20 of 38 Old 12-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
The HonTrumph S913 3.5 cylinder Speed in asphalt black.

That S3 has some mighty big front brake rotors.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #21 of 38 Old 12-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
The HonTrumph S913 3.5 cylinder Speed in asphalt black.
Wow! I need to test ride that one!

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #22 of 38 Old 12-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 

the charlotte triumph shop has a s3 in that green similar to the 04 919 uranim sp? that i've been EyeBalling... they will let me ride it just haven't been able to take any half days yet to be able to and they told me the last time i was there that it was a test ride with a shaporone "sp" one of there sales guys following me to make sure i don't abuse the new bike cause it is still in it's brake in period.. bummer.... maybe i could drive it all day and after it hit 600miles hehehe

post #23 of 38 Old 12-04-2006, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Shiraz

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I'm a big Honda fan. Probably the 919 and keep dumping money into the engine until it start pumping 130 HP.

post #24 of 38 Old 12-05-2006, 03:26 PM

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Yeah, the gearing is hosed. First gear is too tall, and 5th and 6th are too short. I too am always "upshifting" from 6th in hope of grabing a taller gear.
For some reason, I always fail.

Any sources for a 15.75 tooth countershaft sprocket?

Semper Fi, Mac.

post #25 of 38 Old 12-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Optio

Awards Showcase
Veteran Donation 

I usally run a 17/44 ,but got a 16/41 520 chain combo now.Slightly taller gearing than 17/44,But it as ALL of the bottom end grunt of the stock setting due to less mass.I got it becuase it seemed cheaper(e-bay) at the time,may not ever go back to the 530 chain.Time will tell.

post #26 of 38 Old 01-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Bitten

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Community Leadership Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

OK, so it has been a while, but I now have some seat time on Simpson's 919.

I rode it for a good while this past trip as we were taking turns on the Tiger to stay warm. (Heated Grips and Windshield)

In My Opinion - I like the Speed Triples suspension much better. The Speed Triple rides like a sport bike to me, the 919 rides like ab economy bike. Lots of room for upgrading in this department.

IMO- The 919 is far more comfortable for the long haul as compared to the S3. The ergos are much more relaxed.

The engines are completely different. The S3 is wicked from off throttle to redline. The 919 is very docile until you get into the meat of the RPMs. Both has an advantage. The S3 require you to always be on your toes. The 919 allows for some relaxed shifting and riding. Both have more than enough up top for a naked bike.

But the ergos and suspension are the deciding factor between the bikes, the 919 felt ackward to me at a spirited pace. Just didn't scream "more, harder, faster" it kind was asking me to slow down a bit. The S3 inspires more flat out confidence. Riding the 919 I felt as if I was being responsible. The Tiger actually made me want to do more dums stuff than the 919 did. The Speed Triple would have put one of the two of us in jail or the hospital had we been messing with that on this trip. Some of the roads screamed for some hoolaganism. I was doing 5th gear speed wabbles on some crests while jerky boy behind me was getting 2 ft of air under his wheel in 2nd gear. The triple would have looped in those spots if you kept it pinned.

I can see the appeal of the 919 as a practicle commuter/around town/fun bike.
I can see the appeal of the triple as a great around town/fun bike/occassional track bike.

Neither fits the bill for me as a primary bike. However, as a second bike, the S3 inspires me quite a bit more than the 919.

Virginia Beach Remodeling
Spoiler:
Ride In Peace Marcus Randolph (Kahuna) 12/17/06
post #27 of 38 Old 01-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

sounds like the triple is for the young at heart and the 919 is for old men, no offence guys, i meant that in the nicest way possible.

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #28 of 38 Old 01-02-2007, 04:57 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikwad View Post
sounds like the triple is for the young at heart and the 919 is for old men, no offence guys, i meant that in the nicest way possible.
yeah... The 919 is definately a ride for us old folks!
Next stop, Shadypines rest home.

post #29 of 38 Old 01-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Those 2 Mofos Rollin

^ that wheelchair smiley is bad as hell man, lol.

Buy my Pirelli supercorsa takeoffs. sizes 120/180
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrimmon View Post
...I'm slowly prepping the FZ...Goin to VIR with NESBA most likely next year since they are reasonably priced
^ Mark his words.

My 1000RR

Im on another forum.
post #30 of 38 Old 01-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Kudos to Triumph for hitting 10,000 unit sales last year:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070103/nyw173.html?.v=52

It's good to see them in such fine health.

post #31 of 38 Old 01-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Cafe Racer

Awards Showcase
BOTM 

I gotta say you got my two favorite bikes, I'm jealous.
The Triple is plain mean...

Now all you need is a Tuono, a Monster S4R, and MV Agusta Brutale.

post #32 of 38 Old 05-01-2009, 01:40 PM
What's a 919?

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Veteran 

Exactly Why

Simpson, your review here is exactly why I bought a 919. A buddy of mine has an '06 S3 and after riding it, I say the same thing: Jesus, my license would be gone in a week if I owned one of these things.

Although very comparable I think the 919 is geared towards a less aggressive driver than the S3 and that's exactly where I'm at and where my S3 pushing buddy is.

Great little review there.

post #33 of 38 Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I have owned my 06 Speed Triple since June of last year and only have only been caught once for 20 mph over. The key is to not get caught and/or don't pull over. J/K I think being able to buy your '03 919 for $2,500 had something to do with your purchase...

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #34 of 38 Old 05-01-2009, 02:33 PM
no max no more

i was starting to feel silly on the 919 until i learned it for the older crown...now i feel better..at 52 dont want to make a bad choice...rode with two triples last week end.couldent tell ya how they went ...they where just taking in the sights...both triple riders where big fans of the 919....they say the 919 in europe is a new design with a bigger motor ?

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #35 of 38 Old 05-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I assume you're talking of the CB1000. It looks like crap IMHO. Stick with the 919.

In 1915 T. Roosevelt said, in a speech to the KofC, "There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. "
post #36 of 38 Old 05-02-2009, 04:25 AM
no max no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughnessy View Post
I assume you're talking of the CB1000. It looks like crap IMHO. Stick with the 919.
just looked up cb1000 not that bad looking ..looks like the z1000 kawasaki they stopped making..interested to see the hp tq rating in the 1000

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #37 of 38 Old 05-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
just looked up cb1000 not that bad looking ..looks like the z1000 kawasaki they stopped making..interested to see the hp tq rating in the 1000
Honda CB1000R
Year: 2009
Category: Naked bike
Rating: 71.3 out of 100. Show full rating and compare with other bikes
Safety: See our safety campaign with the high safety rated bikes in this category.
Engine and transmission
Displacement: 998.00 ccm (60.90 cubic inches)
Engine type: In-line four
Stroke: 4
Power: 123.37 HP (90.1 kW)) @ 10000 RPM
Torque: 100.00 Nm (10.2 kgf-m or 73.8 ft.lbs) @ 8000 RPM
Compression: 11.2:1
Bore x stroke: 75.0 x 56.5 mm (3.0 x 2.2 inches)
Fuel system: Injection. PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel control: DOHC
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital transistorised with electronic advance
Starter: Electric
Cooling system: Liquid
Gearbox: 6-speed
Transmission type
final drive: Chain

with a 478 pound dry weight....

what a pig..here

post #38 of 38 Old 05-02-2009, 05:08 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Honda has started listing the "kerb" weight of some of their models. I've seen the dry weight of the CB1k listed as 427, so a kerb weight of 478 is just about right. Go to the Honda UK website and look up the specs and you'll see a listing of dry weight, followed by the weight in kilos, then just behind that, the words "kerb weight". It is confusing, but I believe the 478 is kerb weight or wet weight.

I'll also bet the hp and torque are off the crank, not the rear wheel. I've read the TWO articles when the CB1k came out, I don't think it's that heavy or powerful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode