Silly little modification - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 10-03-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Silly little modification

At least it's not a trick new light bulb.

One thing that has bothered me about the 919 is the location of the odometer / trip / reset button and the difficulty of using it when wearing cold weather gloves. It's definitely a hit or miss (literaly) affair. Well, I was replacing a burned out tach bulb yesterday and decided to do something about that button.

I should preface this with the fact that before I moved to Malibu I had a garage door remote hard wired to the bike with the button placed on the front of the left switch housing and wired to it. I don't need the remote here but left the button where it was. All I needed to do was solder two wires to the instrument circuit board where the original reset / select button connects, route them out and connect them to the button on the handlebars.
Here's the button:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...mentbutton.jpg
This is where the wires connect to the board:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p...dification.jpg

Actually, the button takes some explaining. It's home made from a standard 8mm wafer switch with wires soldered to the lugs shoved inside a brake bleeder cap that I found laying around (I think it's for a truck as it is larger than the typical car cap) and sealed with a bit of hot glue. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the switch housing, fed the wires through and glued the rubber to the housing with gel type super glue. It's completely sealed and even works when immersed in water (one of the tests I did before installing it).

Now I could reset or switch the odo / trip while wearing boxing gloves.

I told you it's a silly little modification, but it works like a charm. Oh, and the original button still works too.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Discen

very nice! I do find it little hard to fumble through the functions expecially with the two different buttons.

Might be something I consider this winter

post #3 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 12:09 AM
Tirone

Now that is a pretty neat idea............

post #4 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 06:02 AM
When in doubt.....GAS IT!

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Pretty cool Rob.
Hey, with all this new found time on your hands you could maybe wash your bike.

Professional
post #5 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Great mod! The stock button is horrible! When are you adding the MPG function so you don't have to divide the numbers?

post #6 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Legatus Legionis

Awards Showcase
Community Leadership Donation Donation Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 6

Silly YES - As long as it makes you happy.

BTW: with spare time one your hands, are you hanging out with any Malibu celebrities?

post #7 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Riding naked

You made it water proof so you can wash your bike right?

Darn I just noticed Hasbeenracer beat me to it.

post #8 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Helping a Member in Need 
Total Awards: 1

yep silly but i like the idea of a switch for the garage door!! sourcing switches!!

post #9 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Chuck Norris has lost in battle with this Member

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Community Leadership Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Rob, you live in Cali? Right? You lost me at, "when wearing cold weather gloves."

It's better to have loved and lost than live with the psycho for life!
post #10 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 07:44 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I didn't know, or have forgotten that your bike was yellow. Would you please post anothe pic of it?

post #11 of 14 Old 10-04-2008, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51_CBRXX View Post
Rob, you live in Cali? Right? You lost me at, "when wearing cold weather gloves."
On my commute, which fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you choose to look at it I no longer get / have to make, over the "winter" it is common to encounter temperatures hovering near zero (C) and considering the fact that numb fingers are of little use when negotiating patches of ice I choose to protect them rather than tacitly confirm other's misconception of the phrase "Year 'round riding" as meaning "Balmy and warm year 'round" regardless of what they may see in the movies by wearing ventilated gloves year 'round! 365 days a year (if I so choose) of riding, but it is not Tahiti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeenracer View Post
Pretty cool Rob.
Hey, with all this new found time on your hands you could maybe wash your bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordknives View Post
You made it water proof so you can wash your bike right?
Darn I just noticed Hasbeenracer beat me to it.
Sniper: here you go.

To all I wish to say I made an agreement with The Falcon (That's her name, which I find infinitely preferable to Hornet, a name someone else came up with but which I find represents something annoying, easily squashed and forgotten rather than evoking images of gracefully soaring while hunting then nearly silently decending on it's prey and dispatching it easily. Much closer to the feeling I get while riding her!) to always listen to what she wants and doing my best to deliver it while she listens to what I want and does her best to deliver it. Early on she made it clear she doesn't want to be pampered -- indeed prefers to be "used hard and put away wet". No princess she, and I'm happy to oblige. For my part, I simply require she make me a better rider, and in this she has excelled. No matter what I ask of her she delivers with grace and aplomb, and never has she let me down.

So feel free to project your expectations on me -- I can easily take it, knowing that we always have a good time, have developed a common language and a symbiosis unlike any other I've had with the many motorcycles I have owned and ridden, and fully expect to continue for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcombs View Post
yep silly but i like the idea of a switch for the garage door!! sourcing switches!!
Don't bother. Make it yourself. If you can't find a bleeder cap the right size just take a standard cap and drop it into a jar of used oil for a month or so -- it will swell to the right size. Once that happens wash it off with dish soap and let it sit for a week -- the rubber will repolymerize, and is ready to use. I've always found that making things yourself gives more of a sense of accomplishment. Remember that you also have to seal the remote against moisture -- quite a task in its own right. Here's a hint: the words "Silicone Conformal Coating." You get to figure it out from there. Evil, aren't I?

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #12 of 14 Old 10-05-2008, 08:06 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

THAT is EXACTLY what a 919 should look like! If it would have come out in 02 looking like that, Honda would have sold 3 times as many.

Beautiful. Well done.

post #13 of 14 Old 10-06-2008, 01:02 PM
I Love Parallel Twins

Yep Rob, That has to be the best yellow 9er I've ever seen. Right sharp, I tell you what!

JDubya
Harleyville, South Carolina
USA
post #14 of 14 Old 10-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Tesserarius

Are we talking about the same California that I live in? Where we haven't seen frost on the ground for at least fifteen years in the middle of winter.
How High are those Calabasis mountains?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode